• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Coaching Carousel 2022

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
omg lol

im sorry to make this somewhat about race but it's very telling which coaches are allowed to fail for longer and which coaches are given basically no margin for error

In the words of Joker, "And... here... we... GO!"

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brian Flores fired after leading the Dolphins to wins in 8 of their 9 last games. A real shame there. He’s a damn good coach who has made a lot of good things happen with that team despite some major flaws.
This reminds me of when the Washington Redskins fired Marty Schottenheimer in 2001 after he lead the team from an 0-5 finish to finish 8-8. They then went and hired Steve Spurrier. Stupid.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Rumored that Flores being let go has less to do with his coaching abilities and more of a power struggle and a sign of deeper issues within the organization. Would imagine all of the BS with Tua and the will he or won’t be traded has fractured some relationships there. They certainly did not handle all of that well.

It's always the same teams every 2-4 years looking for a new Head Coach/GM. Why? They are simply run poorly. Flores should definitely be in the running for a Head Coaching gig elsewhere given the Dolphins turnaround.

Too many coaching candidates rush to take a job with a badly run team then get fired. Put Flores in a steady organization that is run well and see how he does.

Simba

Staff Member
It's always the same teams every 2-4 years looking for a new Head Coach/GM. Why? They are simply run poorly. Flores should definitely be in the running for a Head Coaching gig elsewhere given the Dolphins turnaround.

Too many coaching candidates rush to take a job with a badly run team then get fired. Put Flores in a steady organization that is run well and see how he does.

I'm generally not a fan of rehashing the same head coaches over and over again, but my feeling is that one of these teams would be dumb to not pounce on Flores.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm generally not a fan of rehashing the same head coaches over and over again, but my feeling is that one of these teams would be dumb to not pounce on Flores.
What about the Raiders interim HC? I think he has done a fairly decent job keeping those guys focused and playing despite the circumstances.

Simba

Staff Member
What about the Raiders interim HC? I think he has done a fairly decent job keeping those guys focused and playing despite the circumstances.

I don't disagree with that either. If I'm the Raiders, I'm giving him a chance. But you know how they like their flash over there so I almost expect them not to consider him at all.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't disagree with that either. If I'm the Raiders, I'm giving him a chance. But you know how they like their flash over there so I almost expect them not to consider him at all.
Me too, I just don't think he will be retained at all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the same way that im amazed jim caldwell hasnt had another chance as a HC yet

guys who clearly just have the temperament of HCs and have demonstrated the ability to lead the organisation and create good culture (at least within the playing and coaching staff)

like you i dont love retreads but it also should be noted that lots of guys do better in their 2nd HC job than their 1st (for fairly obvious reasons)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it just makes no sense to me
joe judge retained
matt rhule retained
all these other guys with losing records who've been embarrassing themselves all year are retained and flores is gone - sure there's this stuff about offensive coaching hires and shit like that but idk... dolphins just had back to back winning seasons for the first time since 2003, swept the pats who've been smashing them for over a decade and then fire the HC but keep the GM who's busted numerous top picks the last 3-4 years

Simba

Staff Member
the same way that im amazed jim caldwell hasnt had another chance as a HC yet

guys who clearly just have the temperament of HCs and have demonstrated the ability to lead the organisation and create good culture (at least within the playing and coaching staff)

like you i dont love retreads but it also should be noted that lots of guys do better in their 2nd HC job than their 1st (for fairly obvious reasons)

Too many teams are caught up in the flashy guys instead of the steady guys. Harbaugh and Tomlin weren't flashy but they know how to lead a team and that's why they're still employed while some of these "offensive geniuses" are fired every 2-3 years. There's a reason bad teams stay bad.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Too many teams are caught up in the flashy guys instead of the steady guys. Harbaugh and Tomlin weren't flashy but they know how to lead a team and that's why they're still employed while some of these "offensive geniuses" are fired every 2-3 years. There's a reason bad teams stay bad.

it's organisations mis-attributing why things didnt go the way they wanted on a consistent basis

JO_75

Hall of Famer
From Rap Sheet on McAfee's show in regards to what happened with Brian Flores:

Rap Sheet: "Watson wanted to go to Miami for Flores. You had Flores wanting a different QB, Grier, the GM, who drafted Tua, and the owner (Ross) who stopped the Watson trade because Watson couldn't settle his cases. They couldn't all coexist."