• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Coaching Carousel 2022

Simba

Staff Member
I find the whole Bieniemy situation interesting. There's always this big deal made about how it's ridiculous that he hasn't gotten a job yet, but he's now interviewed with 8 separate teams and it doesn't sound like any of the ones this year will come to fruition either. Rumors abound that he has not interviewed well and has not articulated a direction. I'm all for minority coaches getting better opportunities, but this is feeling like a clear indication that he's not as strong of a candidate as the media and fans want him to be. People seem to be really pushing the skin color narrative on this one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I find the whole Bieniemy situation interesting. There's always this big deal made about how it's ridiculous that he hasn't gotten a job yet, but he's now interviewed with 8 separate teams and it doesn't sound like any of the ones this year will come to fruition either. Rumors abound that he has not interviewed well and has not articulated a direction. I'm all for minority coaches getting better opportunities, but this is feeling like a clear indication that he's not as strong of a candidate as the media and fans want him to be. People seem to be really pushing the skin color narrative on this one.

i think the thing with bieniemy and the reason race comes into it - is that a white coaching candidate with his resume would have been hired based on the "offensive genius" of it by now anyway

not saying that's the right thing to do but just that there's a number of mediocre and clearly not good candidates who've got jobs over him

now there's more high profile minority candidates now than in previous years getting interviews so it'll be interesting to see who gets hired and where - i think the consternation around bieniemy not getting hired will disappear if other black and minority coaches do get hired into some of those roles

rossihunter2

Staff Member
likely finalists so far for the HC jobs around the league as ive seen them based on reports and stuff around twitter etc. from insiders and beat guys:

Broncos: Dan Quinn, Nathaniel Hackett, Kevin O'Connell - we know for certain these are the final 3 in this job
Bears: Dan Quinn, Jim Caldwell, Matt Eberflus
Dolphins: Vance Joseph
Giants: Brian Daboll
Jaguars: Byron Leftwich, Matt Eberflus, Nathaniel Hackett
Texans: Jonathan Gannon, Josh Mccown???

not seen anything in particular about the raiders, vikings with 2nd interviews or rumblings of anything

JO_75

Hall of Famer
likely finalists so far for the HC jobs around the league as ive seen them based on reports and stuff around twitter etc. from insiders and beat guys:

Broncos: Dan Quinn, Nathaniel Hackett, Kevin O'Connell - we know for certain these are the final 3 in this job
Bears: Dan Quinn, Jim Caldwell, Matt Eberflus
Dolphins: Vance Joseph
Giants: Brian Daboll
Jaguars: Byron Leftwich, Matt Eberflus, Nathaniel Hackett
Texans: Jonathan Gannon, Josh Mccown???

not seen anything in particular about the raiders, vikings with 2nd interviews or rumblings of anything

I'm trying to figure out why Dan Quinn is such a hot name, it's not like he was on a team who was a bad organization and never really got a chance as Head Coach. He was with a successful team, one that went to the Super Bowl and failed as a Head Coach there. One year in Dallas makes him a hot coaching candidate again? If the Dolphins really fire Flores for Vance Joseph, that would be laughable.

I think the reason we don't hear anything from the Raiders is because they are waiting on Jim Harbaugh who is basically using the NFL to get more money from Michigan. Vikings, I don't know what's taking them so long but the NFL has got to stop using retreads and just passing the same coaches around the league over and over.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm trying to figure out why Dan Quinn is such a hot name, it's not like he was on a team who was a bad organization and never really got a chance as Head Coach. He was with a successful team, one that went to the Super Bowl and failed as a Head Coach there. One year in Dallas makes him a hot coaching candidate again? If the Dolphins really fire Flores for Vance Joseph, that would be laughable.

I think the reason we don't hear anything from the Raiders is because they are waiting on Jim Harbaugh who is basically using the NFL to get more money from Michigan. Vikings, I don't know what's taking them so long but the NFL has got to stop using retreads and just passing the same coaches around the league over and over.

dan quinn took a team to the superbowl... was the coordinator of the legion of boom and just turned around dallas's defence in 1 year
why wouldn't he be a hot name?

agreed on flores to joseph though - would be outrageous

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Potential landing spot for Wink.... could join Brian Daboll's staff as the Giants new Defensive Coordinator.

Also... Broncos and Nathaniel Hackett have been interviewing for over 8 hours. Basically that tells me, he's their guy. Basically since he's coming from Green Bay, I imagine they are trying to hatch out a plan to get Rodgers.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Potential landing spot for Wink.... could join Brian Daboll's staff as the Giants new Defensive Coordinator.

Also... Broncos and Nathaniel Hackett have been interviewing for over 8 hours. Basically that tells me, he's their guy and we all know that means they will make a run for Rodgers.

certainly means they like him - sounds like it's not a done deal quite yet though

but as you say it's certainly indicative of a good interview

i think as soon as we get the first HC announcement we'll start to see a load in quick succession

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
certainly means they like him - sounds like it's not a done deal quite yet though

but as you say it's certainly indicative of a good interview

i think as soon as we get the first HC announcement we'll start to see a load in quick succession

The only thing about this that makes no sense is... why is Dorsey coming with him as an OC when he seems to have the backing of Josh Allen to be the next OC in Buffalo?

If I have my choice of the same role between Buffalo and NYG, its pretty obvious which one I'd choose.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think the thing with bieniemy and the reason race comes into it - is that a white coaching candidate with his resume would have been hired based on the "offensive genius" of it by now anyway

not saying that's the right thing to do but just that there's a number of mediocre and clearly not good candidates who've got jobs over him

now there's more high profile minority candidates now than in previous years getting interviews so it'll be interesting to see who gets hired and where - i think the consternation around bieniemy not getting hired will disappear if other black and minority coaches do get hired into some of those roles
Timing is a bigger factor than most people think. It was much more difficult to interview coaches who were still in the playoffs in prior years. Most teams that fired their coaches didn't want to wait until early to mid February to get Bieniemy in there, because it's just too late. There's too many other good candidates and no team wants to get left holding the back.

If the Chiefs had been eliminated in the wildcard or divisional round at any point in the last couple years, I'd have bet he'd have gotten a gig already.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

caldwell would be a great hire for justin fields and that team

Surprised that the Chiefs Executive Director of Player Personnel isn't considering Bieniemy. That should shut people up about him when even a guy in the Chiefs front office leaves for another team and doesn't consider him.