• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Hotel Artemis was cool - it was slick and stylish and surprisingly small - they do a lot of great world building without ever really leaving their one story location - it's a really nice premise and fairly well executed
Yea it was cool to see about what....7 actors or so. Like Hateful Eight

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep. Love me some Interstellar, Mars (TV Series), Martian. I get inspired every time i watch stuff like that, going into the unknown. Carry this over to our movie thread because i need some more of these type of movies!

I assume you listen to Star Talk with Neil DeGrasse Tyson

i dont listen to that - what is it?

and the sci-fi i love is all-kinds lol but i do love the scientifically based sci-fi stuff - the martian was awesome to me - the way that science was cool but that the fiction elements were so based in reality and real science

usmccharles

Practice Squad

and the sci-fi i love is all-kinds lol but i do love the scientifically based sci-fi stuff - the martian was awesome to me - the way that science was cool but that the fiction elements were so based in reality and real science
Star Talk is Neil DeGrasse Tyson and different co-hosts that are phenomenal at talking about very complex things where the laymen can understand.

usmccharles

Practice Squad

Speaking of which, you might hate me for this, i have never seen 2001: Space Odyssey

usmccharles

Practice Squad
haha i dont hate you - it's not the easiest film to watch - but id recommend because of how influential it is on every film that came after it

it's a proper epic that feels enormous in scale
Ill check it out next time i need 4 hours to burn with no dialogue for the first 2 lol
Creed II was awesome, and that final fight rivals the first movie
The first Creed fight? I honestly dont remember it, i wasnt a fan

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Liked Creed 2. Didn't think they would actually be able to pull it off, but it worked well.

Bought MI: Fallout when I was waiting for the Raiders game Sunday. Bored and couldn't go back to sleep before games. Great movie. Cruise has found his niche.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Liked Creed 2. Didn't think they would actually be able to pull it off, but it worked well.

Bought MI: Fallout when I was waiting for the Raiders game Sunday. Bored and couldn't go back to sleep before games. Great movie. Cruise has found his niche.

Mission Impossible fallout is probably one of my top 3 films of the year - it's just so expertly pulled off with the set pieces and stunts turned up to 11 and the characters and story play well off each other

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thoughts on the new Captain Marvel trailer?

im gonna see it day 1 - the trailer didnt change anything lol

the only marvel trailer that really did/changed anything for me was thor: ragnarok tbh - everything else has kinda just been exactly as i expected and therefore didnt really change whether id go and see it in the cinema

thor: ragnarok changed everything for me - id seen taika was directing and thought that was promising but wondered whether he'd lose his authorial voice because of the corporate and big budget environment - saw the trailer and the tone it depicted and instantly knew he'd nailed it - made it go from a film id probably watch months after release to a film i had to see in the cinema on opening weekend

usmccharles

Practice Squad
@rossihunter2

Any exploring type of movies or adventure type you can suggest. Stuff like the Lost City of Z is what im looking for. Jungle is another one that i liked, would that be the Adventure genre?

Also financial films, Boiler Room, Wolf of Wall Street, Wall Street, Big Short, etc....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2

Any exploring type of movies or adventure type you can suggest. Stuff like the Lost City of Z is what im looking for. Jungle is another one that i liked, would that be the Adventure genre?

Also financial films, Boiler Room, Wolf of Wall Street, Wall Street, Big Short, etc....

yeah its a weird genre - i love those kinds of films and media - its a hard one to find - often the best examples are things like Indiana Jones, or even more monsters-y stuff like King Kong lol

you have to dive deep to find some

Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God (i havent seen it but ive heard its an epic about attempts to find el dorado)
Master and Commander maybe...
Kon-Tiki (again i havent seen it but it sounds like it might be not dissimilar)

its a really hard niche to pin down

a lot of modern explorery adventure films focus on space now because of how much we know about our own planet at this point - in fact i kind of enjoyed the stupid but interesting sci-fi pivot back to the bottom of the ocean in The Meg this year because of how its so vast that its not fully discovered (albeit the premise of the meg is unfeasible and illogical - but i loved watching that film)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2

that financial films list you've got there is a basic who's who of the great ones lol:

but maybe...

Inside Job
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (documentary i think)

Margin Call was well reviewed but i never saw it

and ive seen Equity (2016) mentioned a few places but id never even heard of it but seems to have been well reviewed

usmccharles

Practice Squad
that financial films list you've got there is a basic who's who of the great ones lol:

but maybe...

Inside Job
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (documentary i think)

Margin Call was well reviewed but i never saw it

and ive seen Equity (2016) mentioned a few places but id never even heard of it but seems to have been well reviewed
Margin Call is on my list that i will prolly watch soon, seen the rest, Inside Job was great.

No exploring type movie suggestions?