• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Movie Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Well I finally saw "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and I love love loved it. It just may be my favorite Tarantino movie. I won't give anything away, but it wasn't the type of classic Tarantino dialogue movie he makes, although there was some of that, it was the genius of what he was able to recreate in nostalgia. For a guy that grew up during that time, it brought back a flood of memories and I am grateful to Tarantino for it. If you are my age, this movie did for me what Barry Levinson movies did for me growing up in Baltimore.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well I finally saw "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and I love love loved it. It just may be my favorite Tarantino movie. I won't give anything away, but it wasn't the type of classic Tarantino dialogue movie he makes, although there was some of that, it was the genius of what he was able to recreate in nostalgia. For a guy that grew up during that time, it brought back a flood of memories and I am grateful to Tarantino for it. If you are my age, this movie did for me what Barry Levinson movies did for me growing up in Baltimore.

Personally, I would probably rate it somewhere in the middle of the pack for Tarantino's movies. I still enjoyed the movie a lot, but a lot of the nostalgia from that time period is lost on me because I'm not super familiar with it. That being said, Tarantino's movies always demand repeated viewings to catch every little hidden thing so I'm sure my ranking could potentially go up.

Nothing will surpass Pulp Fiction for me though. That movie is just perfection.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
To show Black Widow's origin story before she joined the Avengers, I'm assuming.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to come out with that during the original Avengers run and not the next stage of the MCU?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wouldn't it have made more sense to come out with that during the original Avengers run and not the next stage of the MCU?

Hey man, I'm just the messenger lol

Marvel has their reasons for doing things and it's worked out REALLY well for them so far. This movie is going to make them a ton of money regardless.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Except for making the best Spider-Man film maybe ever...
Spider verse is incredible

And don’t get on Sony - this is all about Disney trying to strong-arm Sony for more money

Sony and Fox have proven they shouldn't be allowed to have nice things.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sony and Fox have proven they shouldn't be allowed to have nice things.

well fox is now part of disney so that's solved that problem

but also there's an intrinsic value in having different approaches towards different properties in this post-iron man era of Marvel

you dont get a film like deadpool or logan without fox
you dont get a spider-verse without sony
you dont get wonderwoman without warner-brothers

i really enjoy the marvel formula but it is formulaic and it does mean that no marvel film has ever reached the heights of logan or spider-verse for me personally

Except for making the best Spider-Man film maybe ever...
Spider verse is incredible

And don’t get on Sony - this is all about Disney trying to strong-arm Sony for more money

They also made a bunch of dud films from SM3 to ASM and ASM2, they recently did Venom which was awful. I trust MCU to make these movies properly. Consistency is far more important than hitting a homerun once every 3 movies.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
i completely disagree - what's the point in seeing the same film over and over again when just out of fear that 2 of them might not work

Agree. You need to take chances at times. Spider 1 and 2 are good films for their time. I think ASM gets unnecessary hate and the sequel is a disaster. Venom would probably be considered an average movie if it was a part of the MCU. Only during this post did realize Sony isn't as awful as I thought, they just seem to have no foresight or direction. Spider Verse was great.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What it tells me is Sony doesnt care about the quality of their films when they put out garbage like ASM2 and Venom

what it tells me is that they dont have 1 person who makes all their films like kevin feige for marvel who basically has overarching control over everything

on the worse sony movies youll probably find there was some sort of producer intervention and on the great sony films youll probably find it was the vision of 1 or 2 or 3 creators who were actually employed in those roles and left alone

i like seeing films (even genre films) with different voices - its why i love thor: ragnarok from the MCU because it had Taika's style all over it, it's why i adore spider-verse and (continuing the super-hero theme) logan

logan's a great example - kevin feige would never have let wolverine and professor x die in a non-franchise film lol - and yet it's one of the most moving superhero films ever made

what it tells me is that they dont have 1 person who makes all their films like kevin feige for marvel who basically has overarching control over everything

on the worse sony movies youll probably find there was some sort of producer intervention and on the great sony films youll probably find it was the vision of 1 or 2 or 3 creators who were actually employed in those roles and left alone

i like seeing films (even genre films) with different voices - its why i love thor: ragnarok from the MCU because it had Taika's style all over it, it's why i adore spider-verse and (continuing the super-hero theme) logan

logan's a great example - kevin feige would never have let wolverine and professor x die in a non-franchise film lol - and yet it's one of the most moving superhero films ever made

Marvel Studios are formulaic for sure but everything they do works, thats why theyre the highest grossing franchise ever and all without one rotten score. Its hard to argue against that.

Logan is one of if not the best comic book movie, but the trilogy is 1 for 3, the Xmen prequels? 1 or 2 for 4. Fox is hit and miss too, or maybe more miss when you consider their three straight Fantastic 4 duds.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
the fight they appear to be having on (what i assume are) the death star remains with the water everywhere looks awesome

definitely no other thoughts... definitely nothing else
BULL FUCKING SHIT LOL. You mean to tell me that you didn't have any thoughts on
Rey having a potential dark side to her
?