• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 Baltimore Orioles

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trey Mancini hits a bottom of the 8th inside the park home run and the O's completed a shutout on Thurs. We just witnessed a divine amazing intervention and no one's talking bout it? We're talking a lazy fly ball with the slowest runner.......................just beating the tag at home. Mo Gaba!!!:rock:

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm just going to say it, Baseball needs a Franchise Tag.
The pricing would probably be similar to the qualifying offer, but at that point you might as well try to work out an extension with Trey.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
O's lead 7-1, a sad day in that we said by to Trey but ending on a major positive to stay in the Wild Card hunt.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Shouldn't we be buying to make a Wild Card run, not selling?

Is Peter Angelos still alive?...has always been happier pocketing the money than trying to put a more competitive team on the field. This is why the MLB needs a floor CAP. League average for 26 man -team payroll is just over 100M, Os currently dead last at 23M.... 10 million behind the Oakland As of all teams.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
One final trade for the Orioles...

This one hurt , we love Brett, going to miss his positive influence . He comes out 40 mins early to sign autographs at every home game for kids.
On the baseball side of the house he has a cannon for an arm in the outfield. Struggled at the plate all season , really struggled.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
This quote sums up the garbage leadership in the Os front office. GM Elias:
“"I think the .500 record we have, the winning last couple of months that we have, the momentum we have, has made this a much more difficult decision and a much more complicated Trade Deadline than it would've been, or that any of the past ones have been," Elias added. "But ultimately, I have to tether my decisions to the outlook and the probabilities of this year. We have a shot at a Wild Card right now, but it is not a probability that we're going to win a Wild Card. We have all different ways of looking at that. And moves that we make that can strengthen our chances for next season and the season beyond and the one beyond that are something that we have to continue to consider, despite the tremendous progress our players have made this year."

I understand not buying recklessly, but selling when your a competitive team in the thick of the playoff race?To be clear, "strengthen our chances for next season" involved trading for a pitching prospect about to have Tommy John surgery (Seth Johnson), two Single-A prospects (Chayce McDermott and Cade Povich), and two rookie ball prospects (Juan Rojas and Juan Nunez). None of those players will be playing in Camden yards any time soon. Also I’m sure the current roster loves hearing they GM say he doesn’t think their good enough to win a wild card.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This quote sums up the garbage leadership in the Os front office. GM Elias:
“"I think the .500 record we have, the winning last couple of months that we have, the momentum we have, has made this a much more difficult decision and a much more complicated Trade Deadline than it would've been, or that any of the past ones have been," Elias added. "But ultimately, I have to tether my decisions to the outlook and the probabilities of this year. We have a shot at a Wild Card right now, but it is not a probability that we're going to win a Wild Card. We have all different ways of looking at that. And moves that we make that can strengthen our chances for next season and the season beyond and the one beyond that are something that we have to continue to consider, despite the tremendous progress our players have made this year."

I understand not buying recklessly, but selling when your a competitive team in the thick of the playoff race?To be clear, "strengthen our chances for next season" involved trading for a pitching prospect about to have Tommy John surgery (Seth Johnson), two Single-A prospects (Chayce McDermott and Cade Povich), and two rookie ball prospects (Juan Rojas and Juan Nunez). None of those players will be playing in Camden yards any time soon. Also I’m sure the current roster loves hearing they GM say he doesn’t think their good enough to win a wild card.

I'll say this, they have responded well and hasn't lost a beat. I know it feels doom and gloom after trading Trey and Jorge Lopez but we haven't lost momentum... yet. I don't think he's saying they aren't good enough, just knows too much can happen before the end of the year. Just win and everything else will fall in place.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Shouldn't we be buying to make a Wild Card run, not selling?

Lopez has had one good year, so I don't mind selling high on him. I don't think there were any moves that would have pushed us over the hump this year.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Lopez has had one good year, so I don't mind selling high on him. I don't think there were any moves that would have pushed us over the hump this year.
As well as Jorge has pitched this year his psyche has seemed fragile at times. I think Bautista steps into the closer role and does well.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
don't think he's saying they aren't good enough, just knows too much can happen before the end of the year. Just win and everything else will fall in place.
I appreciate a positive viewpoint but I don’t think it could be more clear in his statement that he doesn’t think the team is good enough to seriously compete. If his words weren’t enough, trading away two of your better players speaks volumes.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Orioles only needed 1 run but they get the W and move to 55-51, 4 games above .500 and 2 games back in the Wild Card Hunt. Huge series with Toronto coming up on Monday so we need a sweep of the Pirates this weekend and take 2 of 3 from Toronto early next week. Really feels like the O's can get one of the Wild Cards in the AL.