• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You know my thing with McCreary lol. Probably higher on him than most personally.

But I can see that with Woolen. Also a soft spot personally because I was on him before he blew up the combine.
I’m high on mccreary myself. Woolen was never a guy I could get on board with on day 2

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
if the early 2nd round goes our way and we can double up and get 2 borderline 1st round talents then i say go for it
but if those corners and edges come off the board quick then i say just sit at 76 and wait for whoever falls (or maybe even move back again)

we're guaranteed a shot at at least 1 of these guys at 45:
CB Booth
CB Gordon
CB McCreary
EDGE Ebiketie
EDGE Paschal
EDGE Jackson
EDGE Mafe
LB Nakobe Dean
LB Christian Harris
WR Alec Pierce
WR Skyy Moore
NT Travis Jones
(EDGE Ojabo)

and if we see QBs or OTs or RBs go then it pushes more guys down to us
That's exactly right. That's why I think there's gonna be 2 of these guys available for us if we trade up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ojabo could get back into action in like November right?

potentially - got to wonder whether he'll be able to get up to speed in time to actually get on the field though as a rookie with no offseason who's somewhat raw

then again maybe you ease him in and just let him play 15 snaps a game once he's back and just throw him in there on 3rd downs and let him go hunting

i'd be for that - not putting too much on his plate coming off injury - let him get on the field and then work on development in the offseason - would definitely help that we've got mcdonald and ryan osborn (who worked with the EDGE guys at michigan)

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really hope Pickett's weaknesses comes to fruition on the field. The Steelers possibly botching that pick could set the franchise back a few years and I love it.

Simba

Staff Member
That's exactly right. That's why I think there's gonna be 2 of these guys available for us if we trade up.
But why trade up that significantly? The talent blends together at this point through roughly the mid-3rd if I had to guess. I'm for a trade up but I think that's our early 4 back into a 3 to get some of these guys that fall at the end of that range.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if the early 2nd round goes our way and we can double up and get 2 borderline 1st round talents then i say go for it
but if those corners and edges come off the board quick then i say just sit at 76 and wait for whoever falls (or maybe even move back again)

we're guaranteed a shot at at least 1 of these guys at 45:
CB Booth
CB Gordon
CB McCreary
EDGE Ebiketie
EDGE Paschal
EDGE Jackson
EDGE Mafe
LB Nakobe Dean
LB Christian Harris
WR Alec Pierce
WR Skyy Moore
NT Travis Jones
(EDGE Ojabo)

and if we see QBs or OTs or RBs go then it pushes more guys down to us
of that group I’m hoping for ebiketie, Travis jones, then Jackson.

After taking hamilton I think a DT becomes an urgent need, you will need not just pierce and madubuike, but multiple big DTs to rotate and allow you to keep 2 safeties in the intermediate and Williams deeper

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not convinced he wants to walk out of this draft with 12+ players though. We're at 11 now. Added a need at WR of course but not sure he wants more than 9-11 no matter what he says out loud.

i just think this draft is so thick in the middle and we're so lacking in depth at some positions that why wouldnt we just add a ton of young guys to the back end of the roster and see who sticks - especially if the grades arent that different (which i dont think they will be)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Alec pierce has been my guy for months, he’s 6’2 or something close and has a stupid release, can outrun most defenders after said release, and can high point with great body control, timing, and physicality.

He’s what we were looking for when we drafted Boykin, and we should’ve never looked for that in Boykin

he's probably the closest thing to dk metcalf since dk metcalf coming out (im not saying he will be dk metcalf but this was one of the few comps that stood out to me a little in terms of linear athletic and explosive traits and upper body and core strength)

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
potentially - got to wonder whether he'll be able to get up to speed in time to actually get on the field though as a rookie with no offseason who's somewhat raw

then again maybe you ease him in and just let him play 15 snaps a game once he's back and just throw him in there on 3rd downs and let him go hunting

i'd be for that - not putting too much on his plate coming off injury - let him get on the field and then work on development in the offseason - would definitely help that we've got mcdonald and ryan osborn (who worked with the EDGE guys at michigan)
I'd feel uncomfortable (at least short term) taking him in the 2nd knowing it'll be a while before he can get going

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But why trade up that significantly? The talent blends together at this point through roughly the mid-3rd if I had to guess. I'm for a trade up but I think that's our early 4 back into a 3 to get some of these guys that fall at the end of that range.

only reason i would be unconvinced by moving back into the backend of day 2 is i think the talent drop-off probably happens somewhere in the 3rd round

rossihunter2

Staff Member
of that group I’m hoping for ebiketie, Travis jones, then Jackson.

After taking hamilton I think a DT becomes an urgent need, you will need not just pierce and madubuike, but multiple big DTs to rotate and allow you to keep 2 safeties in the intermediate and Williams deeper

remember though that there's still some other DTs available who could maybe make it to 76:
Phidarian Mathis
Perrion Winfrey

and some tweeners like Logan Hall and DeMarvin Leal too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he's probably the closest thing to dk metcalf since dk metcalf coming out (im not saying he will be dk metcalf but this was one of the few comps that stood out to me a little in terms of linear athletic and explosive traits and upper body and core strength)
You know I was thinking metcalf myself lol but I don’t think metcalf had anything close to what pierce has for his release package. Night and day difference there, and obviously pierce isn’t the freak that metcalf is, but I see it.

I think pierce is just a really damn good receiver, another one of those guys I’d throw in the stefon diggs, davante Adams, Justin Jefferson, rashod Bateman classification, one of those guys is clearly lesser than the rest, but adequate size and speed, elite move skills, elite release, elite route tree, and natural catchers. The other guy in this class I would throw into that category is Garrett Wilson.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You know I was thinking metcalf myself lol but I don’t think metcalf had anything close to what pierce has for his release package. Night and day difference there, and obviously pierce isn’t the freak that metcalf is, but I see it.

I think pierce is just a really damn good receiver, another one of those guys I’d throw in the stefon diggs, davante Adams, Justin Jefferson, rashod Bateman classification, one of those guys is clearly lesser than the rest, but adequate size and speed, elite move skills, elite release, elite route tree, and natural catchers. The other guy in this class I would throw into that category is Garrett Wilson.

metcalf didnt have a diverse release package but you could project it because he destroyed press with his hands and play-strength and explosion - and i see that with pierce a bit (which is why i comped him)

you know i hate comps but this was one that just spoke to me immediately

Simba

Staff Member
only reason i would be unconvinced by moving back into the backend of day 2 is i think the talent drop-off probably happens somewhere in the 3rd round
But that's kind of why I would lean trade up there. Think it happens in round 3 and you have a shit ton of ammo to get back up and get one more guy in that range without missing out on anything else in my opinion.