• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would you take him over the remaining CBs and pass rushers?

it's tough because i dont know how bad the character concerns are and idk whether there's any lingering effects from the injuries

but on a tape basis he's the 2nd highest graded remaining player on the board

Andrew Booth
George Pickens

they're the only 2 remaining guys on my board with 1st round grades

so from a purely tape-based grading standpoint... yes... as long as it's not booth

rossihunter2

Staff Member

my only question with this viewpoint is...
if you're gonna take a QB at 33-40 or somewhere like that... then trade up into the backend of the 1st round and get the 5th year option on Malik Willis for that 5th year of control that gives you extra time to develop or if it pans out, then an extra year of cheaper control before you have to play the franchise tag game

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i am not a fan of chenal - i wouldnt take him on day 2 tbh

he's an athletic, attack-minded ball of undisciplined fury who doesnt project to offer much value in pass coverage and isnt great in space - he's not really even reading his keys in college, just sort of attacks and triggers and just guesses

LB 10 for me
huge fan of Chenal. Think he is a better version of hightower in his prime. I also like Muma and Tindall. To me, Harris is a wlb and I'd prefer all of these to him. just not a fan of Harris

rossihunter2

Staff Member
huge fan of Chenal. Think he is a better version of hightower in his prime. I also like Muma and Tindall. To me, Harris is a wlb and I'd prefer all of these to him. just not a fan of Harris

i like tindall and i like muma - probably thinking of those guys more as guys id be ok with in R3 - Muma's more of a 4-3 sam to me but i think he could definitely develop into a 3-4 ILB - love how he processes and reads the backfield in coverage - periphs in zone really well although id like to see more active awareness to pick up crossers

his lack of play-strength does put me off him a little although he uses his quickness to work through traffic to somewhat mitigate it

tindall's almost the opposite - impressive with his run-fits, aggressive with his take-ons, sideline-to-sideline explosive range, very little coverage responsibility so far because of the other 2 Georgia LBs

ive got the same grade on tindall and muma with them stacked close to on top of each other

but ive got malcolm rodriguez in that stack with them too - he was a breath of fresh air when i got to him after slogging through a bunch of guys across multiple positions with ho hum day 3 tape... and with his great athleticism, good processing, good take-on technique i loved watching him - he's just a little smaller than the other guys at his position - but there was a part of me that was watching him and asking the question... do i really think nakobe dean is multiple grades better than this guy...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
and to me, I'm not sure Nakobe Dean is a fit, but I'm sure Macdonald would find a way to use him to his strengths if we drafted him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would imagine we'll pick at least three times tonight. I just can't see us actually drafting six guys in the fourth (or seven guys total on day 3). I think we'll package some 4ths to move up and down, especially if we get into later 2nd round or early 3rd round.

I will be highly disappointed if we don't come away with at least one pass rusher tonight. Possibly two.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ok what im not here for is the NFL showing the lamar "wtf" tweet and saying he was pissed but not showing the follow up where he said that it wasnt anything about his new C

and also not taking in the context that lamar knew the trade was happening

that said he also talked about how remarkable it is that in this day and age no one knew this was coming... and yet another reminder that nothing leaks out of the ravens ever - any stuff you hear about the ravens is either out there on purpose or it's come from agents because even the beat guys dont share everything (until after stuff has happened)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

my only question with this viewpoint is...
if you're gonna take a QB at 33-40 or somewhere like that... then trade up into the backend of the 1st round and get the 5th year option on Malik Willis for that 5th year of control that gives you extra time to develop or if it pans out, then an extra year of cheaper control before you have to play the franchise tag game

I think its generally a bit overrated though.
1) the fifth year option for these QBs are going to be $25-30M by the time these guys get one, and that's straight cap
2) if they're actually good and are worth of an extension (or franchise tag), unless they're going the Cousins and possibly Lamar route, they're getting extended after year 3 or after year 4 at the latest. Most of these actual franchise QBs never get franchise tagged.

I'm not saying the 5th year option is useless, but, I think the perception that it's critical for QBs is a bit overvalued.
Especially when you consider that future 5th year options are fully guaranteed. So you really only get 3 years to decide whether you're going to use it anyway, because you have to pick it up before year 4. So if you take a developmental QB who doesn't play until year 2, you've got two years to figure out whether you're going to pay him close to $30M on a one year deal.