• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we had to trade Lamar, and we’re in the top ten with a 2 and another 1 and then some, you could convince me on any of Richardson, levis, or stroud, and I’d be happy with it.

I gotta say though, I think I really like Levis. That dudes arm is LIVE and he’s just got rare abilities, I feel a lot of his reckless play was just trying to force things on a talentless roster with shit protection. He’s got the off platform elite throwing ability combined with footwork and more than enough athleticism and just man he’s got something you see from guys like mahomes and Allen and burrow and Rodgers, they just be running for their lives yoinkin that mf around the field, they don’t need a pocket or an open receiver or a wind up. I’d love to see him with our strong OL and run game and 2TE sets, think he would transition very well to the nfl with that early setup.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I have a clear top 14 WRs and if you wait till RD4 to take your second one, you're not gonna get one.
1678032449998.png

Simba

Staff Member
If we had to trade Lamar, and we’re in the top ten with a 2 and another 1 and then some, you could convince me on any of Richardson, levis, or stroud, and I’d be happy with it.

I gotta say though, I think I really like Levis. That dudes arm is LIVE and he’s just got rare abilities, I feel a lot of his reckless play was just trying to force things on a talentless roster with shit protection. He’s got the off platform elite throwing ability combined with footwork and more than enough athleticism and just man he’s got something you see from guys like mahomes and Allen and burrow and Rodgers, they just be running for their lives yoinkin that mf around the field, they don’t need a pocket or an open receiver or a wind up. I’d love to see him with our strong OL and run game and 2TE sets, think he would transition very well to the nfl with that early setup.
I admittedly have watched basically 0 Levis to this point, but I’ve seen a lot of comparisons of his scouting report vs. Josh Allen’s from a few years back and the similarities are wild

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so as im getting deeper and deeper into the class now

there's a pretty deep looking 1st round talent pool... a lot of that talent pool is in the "late 1st" kind of grade range which typically are the types of guys you're not wanting to take with the 22nd pick

ive got a total of 14 guys with top 10 and mid-1st round grades right now albeit only 2 of those are QBs and feels like a pretty safe bet that 4 QBs are going top 20 at this point - also doesnt include bijan robinson, who again seems like he's a lock to be going top 20 based on current perception, and WR and CB are pot luck - joey porter's not in my top 14 but he might be the 2nd CB to be taken, quentin johnston or jordan addison might be the 1st WR taken but they're not in my top 14 either

it feels reasonable that we might have a shot at 1 or 2 of those top 14 (so far) type guys

but it also feels like if we don't get one of those top 14 guys and the WR pool isnt completely thinned out, that we can comfortably trade down, recoup some picks and get a very similarly graded player at 22 to 32 (or later)

and btw this is also before ive graded any TEs and ive seen at least 4 guys mocked in the 1st round so that may also change the calculations on this

probably still around 12 players on my list to grade before i feel comfortable doing any sort of preliminary board building or mocking though

Simba

Staff Member
Sounds like Jalen Carter continues to have a poor pre-draft process. Obviously we know the warrant situation, but he showed up overweight to his pro day today and didn't do any testing. He did positional drills and apparently looked disinterested. Reports are starting to show up regarding the interview circuit and apparently that's been bad as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sounds like Jalen Carter continues to have a poor pre-draft process. Obviously we know the warrant situation, but he showed up overweight to his pro day today and didn't do any testing. He did positional drills and apparently looked disinterested. Reports are starting to show up regarding the interview circuit and apparently that's been bad as well.

Well that majorly complicates everything

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ima be real, if I was in his shoes, I’d be extremely disinterested, to the point that I’d probably be out of the draft process.

Not to absolve him of his actions, but man hes got some heavy shit to carry around. Some shit is bigger than football or even a career. I’ve had much smaller deals in my personal turn me to a shit employee because my mind wasn’t right.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ima be real, if I was in his shoes, I’d be extremely disinterested, to the point that I’d probably be out of the draft process.

Not to absolve him of his actions, but man hes got some heavy shit to carry around. Some shit is bigger than football or even a career. I’ve had much smaller deals in my personal turn me to a shit employee because my mind wasn’t right.

oh i empathise completely
but it's still not a good pre-draft process for him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've got more 1st round grades this year than I can remember having in a while

but also the number of those grades that are "late 1st" type grades blows any other year I've done this out of the water completely - so many guys i have high grades on with questions or flaws in their profiles

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
This draft also feels like it has a fairly thick middle - especially if you like CBs, TEs
I am kinda sold on Cam Smith with our #22, but I don’t think he will be there. I also like Joey Porter Jr. As far as first round wide receivers, from what I read from the analysts, Zay Flowers is a baller, but I worry about his size. I personally feel, CB would be a safer pick for for us at #22. It would keep our defense at more of an elite level, even though decent CB’s could be had later in the draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I am kinda sold on Cam Smith with our #22, but I don’t think he will be there. I also like Joey Porter Jr. As far as first round wide receivers, from what I read from the analysts, Zay Flowers is a baller, but I worry about his size. I personally feel, CB would be a safer pick for for us at #22. It would keep our defense at more of an elite level, even though decent CB’s could be had later in the draft.

i wouldnt worry about flowers size - he plays much much bigger

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we don’t draft a qb before our 86th pick, our 86th pick will be either hendon hooker or Dorian Thompson-Robinson