• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This was NOT the year to not have many picks. This is such a crucial year. If we had Lamar under contract and like 9 picks we'd win the SB

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This was NOT the year to not have many picks. This is such a crucial year. If we had Lamar under contract and like 9 picks we'd win the SB

i also think this class is a bit weaker tbh - so in those terms, maybe not the worst year to have fewer picks

CB is a standout position, EDGE has a bunch of talent too
think the rest of the class is a little weaker vs some previous classes

2022 was a class that ran out of elite prospects earlier than some others but had major amounts of depth
2021 had a bunch of talent at the top but was one of the smallest, least talented classes in terms of depth for a long while
2020 was a decent mix of top end talent and depth
2019 had a very small top but had some ridiculous talent in day 2 and 3
2018 was a league defining class with the amount of talent coming out that year at almost every position

2023 to me looks a little weaker comparatively so far - think im looking at a maximum of 7 top 10 type prospects in this class, where even last year i had 11 - i do think there's a lot of talent in that late 1-mid 2 range this year though

but while it might feel like a crucial year to have lots of picks - im not seeing a bunch of rookies who make an instant impact - the lack of a 2nd pick hurts for sure but not having a bunch of day 3 picks i dont think hurts that much this year from what ive seen so far

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i also think this class is a bit weaker tbh - so in those terms, maybe not the worst year to have fewer picks

CB is a standout position, EDGE has a bunch of talent too
think the rest of the class is a little weaker vs some previous classes

2022 was a class that ran out of elite prospects earlier than some others but had major amounts of depth
2021 had a bunch of talent at the top but was one of the smallest, least talented classes in terms of depth for a long while
2020 was a decent mix of top end talent and depth
2019 had a very small top but had some ridiculous talent in day 2 and 3
2018 was a league defining class with the amount of talent coming out that year at almost every position

2023 to me looks a little weaker comparatively so far - think im looking at a maximum of 7 top 10 type prospects in this class, where even last year i had 11 - i do think there's a lot of talent in that late 1-mid 2 range this year though

but while it might feel like a crucial year to have lots of picks - im not seeing a bunch of rookies who make an instant impact - the lack of a 2nd pick hurts for sure but not having a bunch of day 3 picks i dont think hurts that much this year from what ive seen so far
I hear you, but from a financial perspective we probably need rookies taking up roster spots this year. And obviously hopefully ones with traits and roles we believe in.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hear you, but from a financial perspective we probably need rookies taking up roster spots this year. And obviously hopefully ones with traits and roles we believe in.

is that not where all those 2nd year picks we got last year step up?

rookies drafted outside of the first 2 rounds, shouldnt really be expected to be major early contributors

we need cheap young players, but what we really need is for some of these guys heading into year 2 (and 3), to develop

WR, CB, LG, RB

we've got to find players to fill those roles - in LG's case... maybe that's a guy already on the roster and we can find depth, in WR's case maybe that's some veterans and draft picks, CB might be a high draft pick, RB might be a day 3 pick, a cheap vet and a bunch of udfas

but that's actually not that many things to fill - rookies are great for depth, and we've got a lot of year 2 players in 2023 who will take up much of that space

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

rookies drafted outside of the first 2 rounds, shouldnt really be expected to be major early contributors

we need cheap young players, but what we really need is for some of these guys heading into year 2 (and 3), to develop

WR, CB, LG, RB

we've got to find players to fill those roles - in LG's case... maybe that's a guy already on the roster and we can find depth, in WR's case maybe that's some veterans and draft picks, CB might be a high draft pick, RB might be a day 3 pick, a cheap vet and a bunch of udfas

but that's actually not that many things to fill - rookies are great for depth, and we've got a lot of year 2 players in 2023 who will take up much of that space
Still agree with this. However

LG - Likely on the roster

WR - definitely not on the roster. Also likely a better chance to get a bigger impact WR from the draft than from FA. Additionally you need more than one so it's a critical position. Being able to double dip would be so nice.

CB - also not on the roster. Again more likely to have an impact guy come from the draft than in FA.

RB - probably not on the roster. Can be a late pick so I think that works out nicely.

EDGE - Ideally you'd add 1 to this room

DL - Ideally you'd add 1 to this room.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Still agree with this. However

LG - Likely on the roster

WR - definitely not on the roster. Also likely a better chance to get a bigger impact WR from the draft than from FA. Additionally you need more than one so it's a critical position. Being able to double dip would be so nice.

CB - also not on the roster. Again more likely to have an impact guy come from the draft than in FA.

RB - probably not on the roster. Can be a late pick so I think that works out nicely.

EDGE - Ideally you'd add 1 to this room

DL - Ideally you'd add 1 to this room.

sure but not all of that has to be in the draft

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is what I'm unsure of. If we make Lamar play on the tag, actually almost all of it would have to come from the draft. Otherwise it's basically league minimum players right?
You can’t do big deals but it’s not no one

We’ll have to be way more selective

Obviously way easier if lamar’s long-term signed, non-exclusive tagged or traded away

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
F0729DFF-B276-4A4F-AEDD-36F8DA72D5A7.png

Father forgive me but…. Lamar who?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

WR, CB, LG, RB

well we basically have 2 firs round picks for this year. One was taken in the 2nd round this year in David Ojabo and the one we have at pick 22.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was thinking if this was just racing, whatever. Maybe he slips us at 22 but damn... a teammate and recruiting director were killed because of this. That's going to be hard to overcome.

no suggestion that it was necessarily his fault that the other car crashed

but it was reckless and he was involved and that's an awful thing to be involved in

in a way he's lucky that the arrest warrant came out today and not in 2 months - so at least he, and teams, have time to do background, clarify his legal status etc.

but i imagine there's some teams in the top 5-10 who just had their boards potentially upended

Simba

Staff Member
no suggestion that it was necessarily his fault that the other car crashed

but it was reckless and he was involved and that's an awful thing to be involved in

in a way he's lucky that the arrest warrant came out today and not in 2 months - so at least he, and teams, have time to do background, clarify his legal status etc.

but i imagine there's some teams in the top 5-10 who just had their boards potentially upended
Brings about a lot of questions on maturity level and how he handled it. Not a good look in this case, but still time to redeem himself. But a guy that shouldn't have had many questions now has a ton more.