• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I didn’t think you’d have an opinion about the depth of the entire class. Maybe I should have specified just their observation of the first round. I think Todd said he has 14 players with a first round grade

todd's never been a great evaluator tbh
ive got 12 dead cert 1st round grades already and 7 late 1st round grades (right now - some of those will shift around) - but i havent watched a single OL/TE/S/LB yet and im sure there must be at least a couple of 1st round type players in that group

ill be stunned if i only have 14 players with 1sts

Simba

Staff Member
I'm also very early (and don't do near as much work as rossi) but I don't disagree with the sentiment that it's probably a weaker class in theory. Rossi already hit on the covid years and the impact that had, and the depth is almost certainly going to be thinner though this class. On the 1st rounder side, not sure I agree totally, but I do find myself having more questions on the top end talent of this class than I do in normal years. I feel like Jalen Carter is the only guy I'm "sure" on right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm also very early (and don't do near as much work as rossi) but I don't disagree with the sentiment that it's probably a weaker class in theory. Rossi already hit on the covid years and the impact that had, and the depth is almost certainly going to be thinner though this class. On the 1st rounder side, not sure I agree totally, but I do find myself having more questions on the top end talent of this class than I do in normal years. I feel like Jalen Carter is the only guy I'm "sure" on right now.

Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Cam Smith
Christian Gonzalez
Devon Witherspoon

those are the 6 guys i feel pretty good about at the very top of the class so far

todd's never been a great evaluator tbh
ive got 12 dead cert 1st round grades already and 7 late 1st round grades (right now - some of those will shift around) - but i havent watched a single OL/TE/S/LB yet and im sure there must be at least a couple of 1st round type players in that group

ill be stunned if i only have 14 players with 1sts

I don’t take what those guys say as facts merely a grain of salt. I honestly was surprised by the statement but was curious if others were coming to that conclusion as well. I do anticipate classes being weaker with NIL deals coming into play.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t take what those guys say as facts merely a grain of salt. I honestly was surprised by the statement but was curious if others were coming to that conclusion as well. I do anticipate classes being weaker with NIL deals coming into play.

as NIL is around longer and longer it will balance out - might be a couple of fallower years but should eventually balance to a new norm

tbh though, not sure there's that many guys staying in school who i think massively improve this class... most of the guys you'd expect to come out normally, came out

i think more likely than NIL, we're still seeing some of the fallout of the extra eligibility years

also because of transfers, you're seeing guys who aren't in great situations in college, transferring to better situations to improve their draft stock rather than taking the risk and entering early

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
B455E948-9D5B-4B5E-873F-7F522AE619A0.jpeg

Good bye Queenie.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
By thr way, the draft tracker site is up!!!

Some if the ratings in there are SHOCKERS

remember - all these grades are lance zierlein's based on his tape study
i always really like them because he (almost to a fault) does not engage with many (or any) other draft takes before he releases them

also like that for as many players as possible he tries to get a quote from a personnel guy

and dont worry about the ratings as much as the notes - Zierlein has a type - i was shocked by a few of them, then went in and realised we saw the player the exact same way, he just has a particular bias towards those types of players in some cases (which he acknowledges)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
remember - all these grades are lance zierlein's based on his tape study
i always really like them because he (almost to a fault) does not engage with many (or any) other draft takes before he releases them

also like that for as many players as possible he tries to get a quote from a personnel guy

and dont worry about the ratings as much as the notes - Zierlein has a type - i was shocked by a few of them, then went in and realised we saw the player the exact same way, he just has a particular bias towards those types of players in some cases (which he acknowledges)
Thank you!!!!