• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreeing with this narrative when it comes to WR. Still in my limited film phase, and while there are guys I like, there's no one that I absolutely love just yet. Kinda feels like a 2019 draft where there's not a ton of confidence in the WR class but some will get drafted in round 2 and greatly outplay that draft slot... just hard to figure out which ones.

there's a bunch of guys with tons of potential and lots of great film
but almost everyone in the class has at least 1 major question mark surrounding them - in many cases that's drops or injuries or speed or age etc.

then again - based on current mocking, i think we're in a pretty good spot to grab a WR if we're really into one of the top 3-4 guys

Agreeing with this narrative when it comes to WR. Still in my limited film phase, and while there are guys I like, there's no one that I absolutely love just yet. Kinda feels like a 2019 draft where there's not a ton of confidence in the WR class but some will get drafted in round 2 and greatly outplay that draft slot... just hard to figure out which ones.

I agree with this but I wonder if WRs on a rookie contract begin to garnish more value due to the inflated market

Simba

Staff Member
there's a bunch of guys with tons of potential and lots of great film
but almost everyone in the class has at least 1 major question mark surrounding them - in many cases that's drops or injuries or speed or age etc.

then again - based on current mocking, i think we're in a pretty good spot to grab a WR if we're really into one of the top 3-4 guys
Yeah just feels like there's no London, Olave, or Wilson type of guys this year. Good players, but no true standouts on quick glance. Just feels like you could have a lot of teams treating them like Dotson (although he did well) and Burks where the purpose is to get a WR, not necessarily get a WR at a good value.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah just feels like there's no London, Olave, or Wilson type of guys this year. Good players, but no true standouts on quick glance. Just feels like you could have a lot of teams treating them like Dotson (although he did well) and Burks where the purpose is to get a WR, not necessarily get a WR at a good value.

burks was crazy overvalued but no one thought anything of it because media and draftniks and lots of data-based scouts had been calling him "The Next AJ Brown" for months

dotson was someone who im glad got drafted that high but typically wouldnt have been in the past - but that's i think fair value for how i graded him

but absolutely not any Londons or Olaves or Wilsons in this class - so much of the "debate" last year was which Ohio State WR do you want... the clear and obvious answer, the whole way through, was always going to be either or both lol

but it feels like there isnt even really a Bateman in this class (albeit i had a really big grade on bateman and certainly not a grade that should have had him available where we took him in 2021)

feels like there's a bunch of similarities in this class to 2021 if you chopped the WRs from the top 10 out of the 2021 draft...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
burks was crazy overvalued but no one thought anything of it because media and draftniks and lots of data-based scouts had been calling him "The Next AJ Brown" for months

dotson was someone who im glad got drafted that high but typically wouldnt have been in the past - but that's i think fair value for how i graded him

but absolutely not any Londons or Olaves or Wilsons in this class - so much of the "debate" last year was which Ohio State WR do you want... the clear and obvious answer, the whole way through, was always going to be either or both lol

but it feels like there isnt even really a Bateman in this class (albeit i had a really big grade on bateman and certainly not a grade that should have had him available where we took him in 2021)

feels like there's a bunch of similarities in this class to 2021 if you chopped the WRs from the top 10 out of the 2021 draft...
although we'd like to land a #1 WR, I still have Bateman as a #1 and if JSN is there and we take him, he's going to be atleast a high end #2.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
although we'd like to land a #1 WR, I still have Bateman as a #1 and if JSN is there and we take him, he's going to be atleast a high end #2.

they're both gonna be high level starters

i dont really wanna get into the weeds so much about what a WR1 is tbh - like what/who counts and where you draw the line

but i'd be pretty stoked about a WR corps with both Bateman and JSN on it

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did not see the name in here.

Thoughts on Quentin Johnston out of TCU?

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
there's lots of thoughts on him in the WR thread

the gist of it being - he might be generationally good at YAC but he's also unrefined and has massive bust potential with his hands and drops
he reminds me a lot of Kevin White from the 2015 draft class

Yikes, Kevin White? lmfao

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I agree here. I don’t think JSN is a value at our draft slot, not even close, but I don’t see him going in a range where it’s considered value, he may even go before us, same with zay flowers, and I expect Jordan Addison to almost certainly go before our pick.

Basically every wr outside of round 1-2 has strong odds to get drafted 10-20 spots too high

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree here. I don’t think JSN is a value at our draft slot, not even close, but I don’t see him going in a range where it’s considered value, he may even go before us, same with zay flowers, and I expect Jordan Addison to almost certainly go before our pick.

Basically every wr outside of round 1-2 has strong odds to get drafted 10-20 spots too high
what is your thought of Josh Downs as a day 2 pick. I think he's more a slot guy and maybe not for us, but I'm curious to see what people think of him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

you think zay flowers is going before pick 22?

i wouldnt be surprised at all if JSN goes before our pick - but that's because i think he's WR1 lol

Simba

Staff Member
I know they'll always get propped up because they're local, but UMD has a good number fun prospects this year for the first time in awhile. Duncan, Jarrett, Demus, Banks, Copeland, Nchami, Finau

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I know they'll always get propped up because they're local, but UMD has a good number fun prospects this year for the first time in awhile. Duncan, Jarrett, Demus, Banks, Copeland, Nchami, Finau
I've been watching some of them as well.

Guarantee our resident Giants fan during the FM will be trying to get some of them, as he is an alumnus.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
first milestone of the 2023 class...

ive got preliminary grades on 50 prospects

not watched any OL, RB, TE, LB or S yet so lots to go obviously

but watched a lot of the top guys not at those positions and currently have 18 guys with preliminary 1st round grades (including guys with late 1st round grades)

think ive got about 35 guys on my list right now that i'd want to get through before i even think about mock drafting

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I wonder if this played into us having less draft picks this class?

@rossihunter2 is your evaluation of this draft class lining up with this?

way too early for that sort of take
he's talking about fewer guys with draftable grades and ive got nowhere into the depths of this class

i think it's a trap though to try and compare it to last year where there was insane depth in the mid rounds and day 3 partly because of all the longer eligibility due to covid (was a good draft to have 17000 4th rounders in)

but id be shocked if this class is anywhere close to as bad as 2021 in terms of depth of draftable players

i doubt this was the intention from years ago to spend picks in 2022 and not in 2023 but i think you could definitely maybe make a claim that if they dont like this class that it makes sense why they would be happy to give up those picks for roquan even when they didnt have many to begin with

way too early for that sort of take
he's talking about fewer guys with draftable grades and ive got nowhere into the depths of this class

i think it's a trap though to try and compare it to last year where there was insane depth in the mid rounds and day 3 partly because of all the longer eligibility due to covid (was a good draft to have 17000 4th rounders in)

but id be shocked if this class is anywhere close to as bad as 2021 in terms of depth of draftable players

i doubt this was the intention from years ago to spend picks in 2022 and not in 2023 but i think you could definitely maybe make a claim that if they dont like this class that it makes sense why they would be happy to give up those picks for roquan even when they didnt have many to begin with

I didn’t think you’d have an opinion about the depth of the entire class. Maybe I should have specified just their observation of the first round. I think Todd said he has 14 players with a first round grade