• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Rumors/team draft visits

Simba

Staff Member

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that person that calls himself a reporter and is wrong all the time. If you still don't know, you can PM me because I don't say his name on this board
Haha yeah he’s been awful idk why I still listen to his B-more opinionated podcast

Last edited by a moderator:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The calm before the storm.... teams went trade heavy last month and now we wait to see what the next big move is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-24
Da'ron Payne and some TE news regarding ravens

weird that he's hearing this stuff now - gotta think its all hunches
matt miller was saying the other day how there will be good bama players available but he's heard nothing specifically with regards to the ravens - just that there's an obvious connection...

the eric decker thing would be weird - i imagine if it did happen it would happen post draft as a pseudo-tight end pickup but it doesnt make a huge amount of sense given we just picked up snead in the slot and while decker is obviously bigger, the way they run their routes is not dissimilar

this little paragraph i think is the most interesting:

'* I’m told the Ravens are not as desperate to come out of the draft with a tight end as many are making it seem. They would draft a tight end if a highly rated prospect falls into their laps, but there is also a belief the team could soon sign receiver Eric Decker.'

not because of decker but because ive always thought that we shouldnt reach for the tight end in this class if one doesnt fall to us because we need players at other positions too and if there's better players at other positions we cant hijack our draft for one position of need - that's the strategy of a bad team - tbh id personally much rather we double down at wide receiver (if the value is there obviously) than take a tight end and a receiver - i think we have to go wr in round 1 or 2 (so most likely round 2) and im not sure the tight end we want will be there round 3 - i could see us taking a tight end late but im not sure we necessarily grab one in the early rounds and its interesting that this has come out now...

Simba

Staff Member
yeah me too - payne's a great player but im not sure he's good enough for me to be happy taking him over anyone else at who'd be there at 16

I don't even think Payne is anything special, personally. Just seems like every other DL that we draft that goes on to have a solid career but nothing super impactful. BPA or not, I'd be furious with another DL with how much we have invested there and how easily we can find solid players late or off the waiver wire.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't even think Payne is anything special, personally. Just seems like every other DL that we draft that goes on to have a solid career but nothing super impactful. BPA or not, I'd be furious with another DL with how much we have invested there and how easily we can find solid players late or off the waiver wire.
I'd take Vea and Hurst over Payne. Both have better pass rush potential.

Simba

Staff Member
I'd take Vea and Hurst over Payne. Both have better pass rush potential.

Vea might be the only DL anyone could sell me on to the Ravens but I'd still be questioning that. I at least think his issues are highly correctable, especially with the DL factory we have here. Regardless, I'd be highly shocked (and disappointed) if DL was picked anywhere on day 1 or 2.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

our defensive line is so stacked with solid players that it'd be a large investment and it would only reap marginal rewards based on the overall level of the dline improving - we are returning every player along the Dline from last year's group and getting urban back from injury too - we already had too many and i imagine a guy like kaufusi needs to have a huge camp to even make the team so i agree there really isnt room...

i dont have any of the DL as top 16 on the board (obviously need plays into that) so i dont think DL should be the pick but the ozzie said the pick would surprise people - i guess my hope is that the ravens are self-aware enough to know that picking da'ron payne would not elicit surprise but rage and resignation to the plight

so when they say surprise i guess it will be any position outside of DL or wide receiver

Simba

Staff Member
I'm just taking solace in the fact that Pauline's sources for bigger name players at the top of the draft are typically garbage. He excels in getting information about late rounders and small school guys and Payne doesn't fit either of those descriptions.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
our defensive line is so stacked with solid players that it'd be a large investment and it would only reap marginal rewards based on the overall level of the dline improving - we are returning every player along the Dline from last year's group and getting urban back from injury too - we already had too many and i imagine a guy like kaufusi needs to have a huge camp to even make the team so i agree there really isnt room...

i dont have any of the DL as top 16 on the board (obviously need plays into that) so i dont think DL should be the pick but the ozzie said the pick would surprise people - i guess my hope is that the ravens are self-aware enough to know that picking da'ron payne would not elicit surprise but rage and resignation to the plight

so when they say surprise i guess it will be any position outside of DL or wide receiver
Ozzie saying the pick might surprise people means absolutely nothing. What's he going to say..."I'm sure you guys already know the pick"?

Don't over analyze things. There's no position we can rule out with that statement.