• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

NYSE5

Practice Squad
Jackson wouldve had a 60% completion percentage if it werent for the final game of the year. Oh and Brett Favre also had under 60% completion rate. Not to mention Baker Mayfeild had a better supporting cast.

He also is 2 years older than Lamar and has more "maturity issues". Oh and Lamar won the Heisman at 19 years old. Baker was 23 when he won it (again with a better supporting cast and vs lesser competition)

To me that doesnt sound like they should have been picked as far apart as they were....i mean Baker was THE #1 OVERALL PICK.....Lamar was the last pick of the first round. Just doesnt make sense
Unless professional scouting knows something that you don't.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ok so watched 3 games of hursts just now and came to and easy conclusion... he was misused horribly. i understand he can block very well, but if they werent targeting deebo or hurst, it was a waste of a target. hurst is an absolute freak, he is a mammoth of a man(though i feel he doesnt look quite as full as a witten or kelce or gronk, still mammoth) with excellent length. the most impressive thing about him, which gives me hope that hes in great company, is that guys his size are typically long striders, making their play speed way slower than their workout speeds, this is not the case for hurst. like guys such as witten and kelce, hurst has well placed and rhythmic strides with little wasted motion, this gives him an endless ceiling as far as route running is concerned, guys that big and fast who arent lumbering oafs are special.

but even better, hes massive, hes fast, he isnt lumbering and is just an extremely well balanced and poised athlete, to top all this off... he has that mentality. he goes up and gets it, he locates that ball in the air, he positions himself well, and he ATTACKS it with vice grip hands. he has the body control and awareness you need to make those tough catches when your qb has an "oh shit" moment.

this guy really might be special, his team did him no justice, its pathetic, but you can see that athleticism, hes an absolute freak. he might be the most talented offensive player on the team right now aside from lamar.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
ok so watched 3 games of hursts just now and came to and easy conclusion... he was misused horribly. i understand he can block very well, but if they werent targeting deebo or hurst, it was a waste of a target. hurst is an absolute freak, he is a mammoth of a man(though i feel he doesnt look quite as full as a witten or kelce or gronk, still mammoth) with excellent length. the most impressive thing about him, which gives me hope that hes in great company, is that guys his size are typically long striders, making their play speed way slower than their workout speeds, this is not the case for hurst. like guys such as witten and kelce, hurst has well placed and rhythmic strides with little wasted motion, this gives him an endless ceiling as far as route running is concerned, guys that big and fast who arent lumbering oafs are special.

but even better, hes massive, hes fast, he isnt lumbering and is just an extremely well balanced and poised athlete, to top all this off... he has that mentality. he goes up and gets it, he locates that ball in the air, he positions himself well, and he ATTACKS it with vice grip hands. he has the body control and awareness you need to make those tough catches when your qb has an "oh shit" moment.

this guy really might be special, his team did him no justice, its pathetic, but you can see that athleticism, hes an absolute freak. he might be the most talented offensive player on the team right now aside from lamar.
The way you describe him reminds me of Heap. If he can be anywhere near Heap's level he'll be a great pickup.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

In other words. Hurst is the most "natural athlete in this class". At least at TE

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did yall see that when Lamar arrived at the castle Chad Steele was there and he touched him.

Chad Steele!!!! The guy thats always with the Super bowl QBs!!!!! Lmfao

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The way you describe him reminds me of Heap. If he can be anywhere near Heap's level he'll be a great pickup.
hmmmm maybe, i actually think heap was a little less coordinated and controlled as an athlete, heap was an elite catcher, but he wasnt as gifted a runner as hurst looks to be. he reminds me a bit of kelce, huge guy and freak athlete who runs way quicker and sharper than a guy that size should, and an elite catcher.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
hmmmm maybe, i actually think heap was a little less coordinated and controlled as an athlete, heap was an elite catcher, but he wasnt as gifted a runner as hurst looks to be. he reminds me a bit of kelce, huge guy and freak athlete who runs way quicker and sharper than a guy that size should, and an elite catcher.
The main comparison I've seen is to Greg Olsen.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Chad Steele was actually the FIRST person to greet Lamar at the castle

I feel like Chad Steele has been to more super bowls than Tom Brady

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I was looking at some Lamar tape and I found my favourite play. Vs Purdue 7:50. Pocket collapses and defense isn't keeping contain, LB dropped pretty deep. I thought for sure he was going to take off. Nope, stepped up in the pocket, reset his feet and threw a beauty.
The willingness to stay disciplined and prove he's a real QB is apparent on that play.

The Raven

Veteran
I just watched Lamar vs Clemson and Florida State and I'm gonna need someone to talk me down the ledge and tell me why we picked this guy. From these two games Lamar Jackson just looks like Joe Flacco with wheels and a read option system. For real this guy's decision making and accuracy might even be worse than Joe and that's saying some shit