• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Roster

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I do not envy some of the decisions that the FO are going to have to make this year. High draft picks like Kaufusi & Correa face being cut because they've failed to make a big enough impact. Would the FO want to do that? Are they ruthless enough to do that? Same goes for Perriman.

The FO has to be ruthless. We've failed to make the playoffs on too many occasions in recent seasons and despite where some of the players were drafted, they've clearly not been doing a good enough job.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I do not envy some of the decisions that the FO are going to have to make this year. High draft picks like Kaufusi & Correa face being cut because they've failed to make a big enough impact. Would the FO want to do that? Are they ruthless enough to do that? Same goes for Perriman.

The FO has to be ruthless. We've failed to make the playoffs on too many occasions in recent seasons and despite where some of the players were drafted, they've clearly not been doing a good enough job.
I’m hoping a team will be willing to trade a late round pick on a couple of these players that may just need a change of scenery, like Perriman.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Will Siragusa be ready? If not, that would eliminate one person, other than that it’s a tough call on who else to cut. Agree it’s a pretty solid roster.

What about Tim White and Adeboyjo and Posey?
I'm totally with you! I think we all get attached to these guys and see potential, but there are only 53 spots. Can't see any of them making it honestly.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think the way this draft was handled does show that we're trying to purge some of the vets, or at least make them fight for their job. I wouldn't be surprised if Decosta keeps the trend next offseason. Our team might be getting a lot younger over the next couple years, with Decosta and company looking for a ton of midround gems. And with dumping a lot of the borderline vets for rookie deals, we'll have a ton of cap to start the post-Flacco era.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Way too early for this but

There will be 3 QBs on the roster, add RGIII
Kaufusi, Levine, Davis cut
Ricard, one WR may not make it
Jimmy Smith , Siragusa start on IR
Clark, Carr , Boyle not safe
Vince Mayle and Sieler make 53

What about J. Hill, ZDS?

RGIII is a camp body with a chance at the roster nothing more - he's on a 1 year deal so its not like we even have him contracted as a future backup to lamar either... if lamar shows anything in training camp/preseason then RGIII is gone - and jackson will have had months up to that point to adjust his footwork with concerted focussed coaching on those issues - he's already done work in an offence that used pro concepts and thrived

if he doesnt get bogged down on the playbook and the mechanics then i see no way we carry RGIII over some of the depth players at other positions we might have to let go of...

Kaufusi is as good as gone but im not so sure about carl davis - Levine i go either way on because of his age and the fact that we are trying to add more speed back to the defence - canady could be being moved to safety more full time and chuck clark was already taking dimebacker snaps so levine could be gone but he's the leader on special teams - that didnt stop us not re-signing mclellan though so i guess we'll see on that one

i feel like one of ricard and boyle might go but im not sure both would be gone and i dont know that mayle is going to be good enough at special teams to earn his way onto the roster ahead of some of the rookies who will also play special teams but offer more non-special teams value - i think its far more likely that darren waller would make it than mayle given just how good waller is as a gunner

jimmy smith might start on PUP but by all indications it looks like Siragusa is already participating in aerobic workouts which suggests to me that unless he has a setback he'll probably be ready - jaylen hill i think may start the year on PUP though

sieler's so unknown that it would be difficult to speculate on whether he makes the roster or not

ZDS i hope is gone or at least buried down the depth chart but who knows?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@rossihunter2 I'm actually hoping we can trade some of our players for later round picks. We should be able to get something out of some of the younger guys.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 I'm actually hoping we can trade some of our players for later round picks. We should be able to get something out of some of the younger guys.

You’ve got to think a team might want ZDS or one of our DLine guys who only have a year or 2 left on their contracts...

If we can get a trade for a udfa Center who’s not even played in a preseason game and who eventually gets cut then surely we can get something for some of these better players who won’t necessarily make the 53 or are eating up snaps we want younger guys to play

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
RGIII is a camp body with a chance at the roster nothing more - he's on a 1 year deal so its not like we even have him contracted as a future backup to lamar either... if lamar shows anything in training camp/preseason then RGIII is gone - and jackson will have had months up to that point to adjust his footwork with concerted focussed coaching on those issues - he's already done work in an offence that used pro concepts and thrived

if he doesnt get bogged down on the playbook and the mechanics then i see no way we carry RGIII over some of the depth players at other positions we might have to let go of...

Kaufusi is as good as gone but im not so sure about carl davis - Levine i go either way on because of his age and the fact that we are trying to add more speed back to the defence - canady could be being moved to safety more full time and chuck clark was already taking dimebacker snaps so levine could be gone but he's the leader on special teams - that didnt stop us not re-signing mclellan though so i guess we'll see on that one

i feel like one of ricard and boyle might go but im not sure both would be gone and i dont know that mayle is going to be good enough at special teams to earn his way onto the roster ahead of some of the rookies who will also play special teams but offer more non-special teams value - i think its far more likely that darren waller would make it than mayle given just how good waller is as a gunner

jimmy smith might start on PUP but by all indications it looks like Siragusa is already participating in aerobic workouts which suggests to me that unless he has a setback he'll probably be ready - jaylen hill i think may start the year on PUP though

sieler's so unknown that it would be difficult to speculate on whether he makes the roster or not

ZDS i hope is gone or at least buried down the depth chart but who knows?

I think there's a longer plan in place with RGIII but we'll see.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Let's break this shit down..

QB: Joe Flacco, Lamar Jackson, RGIII
I think we do try to get Jackson involved, but not too much. I think if Flacco goes down due to injury, RGIII is the primary starter. The last thing we need is our future prized stallion risking injury. RGIII is a good mentor type anyways.

RB: Alex Collins, Kenneth Dixon, Buck Allen
I don't like how the third guy stands at the moment. Buck Allen doesn't deserve all the shit he gets but he's mediocre. Collins is an easy one to talk about. He can create his own yards because of his superior footwork with good vision and underrated receiving ability. Dixon is the ideal compliment, as he is a good receiver, and is also good at making the first guy in front of him miss. Depending on how the oline works, these two likely could be one of the most underrated 1-2 punches in the entire league. Buck at the very worst is a good special teamer so he has value there, but he could play in a pinch if injury occurs. I would like to see us add another guy. The offense is going to go through the run game. We're going to use that to set everything up, which is why I think I want us to go get a home run hitter scat back type. God we are going to miss Woodhead.

FB: Patrick Ricard

Alex Collins needs his road grader.. He ain't going anywhere.

WR: Michael Crabtree, John Brown, Willie Snead, Jaleel Scott, Jordan Lasley, Chris Moore

The three guys that we have signed are obvious add ons. It will be very interesting to see who wins the #4 WR slot. I personally think Lasley is more talented than anyone is giving him credit for and could be a legit steal. Moore is the last guy on the team who makes it due to the fact that he's an elite special teams gunner and a good return man. And a solid #3 WR at that. The corps lacks a #1 guy sure.. But there's talent and depth here now. Thank god Jackson has a solid situation to grow in.

TE: Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, Maxx Williams
Sorry Boyle. Maxx is both better as a blocker and is more versitile. Hurst and Andrews are obvious no-brainers here. Hurst will likely be the starter at TE and become Flacco's BFF, whilst Andrews is used more or less as a slot WR in red zone packages and on crucial third downs. Maxx platoons between FB and TE. The is the deepest receiving corps of Flacco's career. Whether he can put it to use or not will deterimine the success of our season

LT: Ronnie Stanley, James Hurst
Ronnie Stanley is a tough SOB and a stud. Please stay healthy. You were our best Olinemen last year by a long shot. Hurst as a backup is something I don't like but don't hate. He can backup 4 oline positions, but I am putting him here for the guard spot.

LG: Alex Lewis, Jermaine Elumenor
Lewis, given his physique change and the fact that I think he fits the power scheme better, should be a mounmental upgrade over Hurst. Lewis won't be a revelation or a stud or anything, but he's an upgrade. And we did make the oline works last season.

C: Bradley Bozeman, Nico Siragusa
If Siragusa is healthy he is my pick to start here with his high football IQ, and the fact that he's a mauler and could be an upgrade over even Jensen at the position. Bozeman on tape looks like a future starter even if he's likely to be nothing special. I had a day four grade on him and personally thinks he starts on day one. Not a massive fan of the proposition of Skura starting since he, like Hurst, was a total liability last season at RG. But I don't see him starting at all.

RG: Marshal Yanda, Matt Skura,
Yanda please stay healthy. Even if he's at 85% of the player he used to be he's an all pro caliber player. That's how dominant he is. God I beg of you dude, stay healthy.

RT: Orlando Brown, Greg Senat

Brown is ready to start day one on tape. I think he will be good to go in shape wise day one. Lack of athletic ability be damned, Brown is a good football player and a coaches dream at RT. Brown could be a gargantuan upgrade over Howard if he's slated to play even on day one. He likely becomes Alex Collins' best friend forever. Senat will likely be behind Hurst as a player(Brown please stay healthy).

Defense

DL: Brandon Williams, Micheal Pierce, Willie Henry, Carl Davis, Chris Wormley Zach Sieler
Williams' impact is obvious as a run defender but both Pierce and Henry are underrated in this regard. The real question for Wink is.. How is the roation going to work. A bunch of these players have potential to be decent interior rushers(Davis and Wormley could be decent and Zach's athleticism is actually very promising even if we've never heard of the guy). The DL, if used with a proper rotation, is one of the most underrated units in the league.

OLB: Terrell Suggs, Matt Judon, Tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, Za'Darius Smith(fuck you Harbaugh)

Smith is a player who should not be on the team. Let's get this out of the way. If I were running the ravens he and James Hurst would be the first two people I cut. I hate Hurst a lot.. I hate Smith more. There is so much talent here, yet the two potential thoroughbreads who flashed a lot lost snaps to a guy who didn't deserve it. Another question for Wink is how are Bowser and Williams going to be used. Suggs probably has another season in him given that he actually turned the clock back last year(he hasn't looked that good since 2014). Judon is steady but should also not be stealing snaps from Bowser or Timmy. Even if the only thing we use Smith for is situational pass rushing, the defense should be better off. Bowser could be a Jamie Collins type which I am good with. So much talent, let's hope we use it.

MLB: CJ Mosley, Kenny Young, Patrick Onwuasor
CJ Mosley may be half man, half amazing, but we need to add a guy here. Onwuasor was a liability, no question about it. I want Bowman. I know that he's not the same player anymore, but he'd still make a significant impact in the run game. Kenny Young is at least a solid coverage backer, and having Bowser on the team should make everything a hell of a lot easier for everyone else as well. Just get a rotation going, keep the defense fresh, and play players to their damn strengths. Wink has a lot of eyes on him.

CB: Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Tavon Young, Anthony Averrett, Maurice Canaday.
The most stable and polished unit on the team going forward. Humphrey looks the part of a future #1 CB. Brandon Carr is a steady starter who worst case scenario is very good depth. Tavon Young is a guy who should be a top flight slot CB but can hack it on the outside(and yes he can. Just because he had one bad game does not make him a liability, watch the damn tape). Averrett has versatility similar to Tavon Young with his ability to play inside or outside, and worst case scenario, Canaday looked to be a starting caliber slot CB himself who can platoon at safety if need be. We haven't even gotten to Jimmy Smith yet either. If he can come back somewhat healthy from an achilles injury, then this unit isn't going to be stout, but potentially elite. We're 6 deep with corner, a position 3 years ago that was a total liability. Let's hope that our big three(Smith, Humphrey, and Young) can all stay healthy. But we are very well prepared

FS: Eric Weddle, Elliot
Weddle is the old reliable veteran. Who was misused last season and weirdly had positioning issues(usually his bread and butter). Athleticism was not his issue last season. Nonetheless, I want to see us add another player here. Tre Boston was a good player last season who gets no recognition. I'd like to see him as the third safety to help bolster the depth.

SS:Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark
Jefferson was misused by Pees so hard last season that I was bashing my skull in the pavement. How hard can it be to use that guy. Jefferson is best in zone coverage, closer to the LOS who is decent if you put him in single high looks, but that's not his game. He's an enforcer. Use him like Arizona did and he's an impact player. Use him like we did, and he's a slightly above average SS(which is what he was last year). Wink, use him correctly.

K: Justin Tucker
P: Sam Koch
LS: Morgan Cox

easy... Best kicker, top tier punter, and well..... A long snapper..

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Let's break this shit down..

QB: Joe Flacco, Lamar Jackson, RGIII
I think we do try to get Jackson involved, but not too much. I think if Flacco goes down due to injury, RGIII is the primary starter. The last thing we need is our future prized stallion risking injury. RGIII is a good mentor type anyways.

RB: Alex Collins, Kenneth Dixon, Buck Allen
I don't like how the third guy stands at the moment. Buck Allen doesn't deserve all the shit he gets but he's mediocre. Collins is an easy one to talk about. He can create his own yards because of his superior footwork with good vision and underrated receiving ability. Dixon is the ideal compliment, as he is a good receiver, and is also good at making the first guy in front of him miss. Depending on how the oline works, these two likely could be one of the most underrated 1-2 punches in the entire league. Buck at the very worst is a good special teamer so he has value there, but he could play in a pinch if injury occurs. I would like to see us add another guy. The offense is going to go through the run game. We're going to use that to set everything up, which is why I think I want us to go get a home run hitter scat back type. God we are going to miss Woodhead.

FB: Patrick Ricard

Alex Collins needs his road grader.. He ain't going anywhere.

WR: Michael Crabtree, John Brown, Willie Snead, Jaleel Scott, Jordan Lasley, Chris Moore

The three guys that we have signed are obvious add ons. It will be very interesting to see who wins the #4 WR slot. I personally think Lasley is more talented than anyone is giving him credit for and could be a legit steal. Moore is the last guy on the team who makes it due to the fact that he's an elite special teams gunner and a good return man. And a solid #3 WR at that. The corps lacks a #1 guy sure.. But there's talent and depth here now. Thank god Jackson has a solid situation to grow in.

TE: Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, Maxx Williams
Sorry Boyle. Maxx is both better as a blocker and is more versitile. Hurst and Andrews are obvious no-brainers here. Hurst will likely be the starter at TE and become Flacco's BFF, whilst Andrews is used more or less as a slot WR in red zone packages and on crucial third downs. Maxx platoons between FB and TE. The is the deepest receiving corps of Flacco's career. Whether he can put it to use or not will deterimine the success of our season

LT: Ronnie Stanley, James Hurst
Ronnie Stanley is a tough SOB and a stud. Please stay healthy. You were our best Olinemen last year by a long shot. Hurst as a backup is something I don't like but don't hate. He can backup 4 oline positions, but I am putting him here for the guard spot.

LG: Alex Lewis, Jermaine Elumenor
Lewis, given his physique change and the fact that I think he fits the power scheme better, should be a mounmental upgrade over Hurst. Lewis won't be a revelation or a stud or anything, but he's an upgrade. And we did make the oline works last season.

C: Bradley Bozeman, Nico Siragusa
If Siragusa is healthy he is my pick to start here with his high football IQ, and the fact that he's a mauler and could be an upgrade over even Jensen at the position. Bozeman on tape looks like a future starter even if he's likely to be nothing special. I had a day four grade on him and personally thinks he starts on day one. Not a massive fan of the proposition of Skura starting since he, like Hurst, was a total liability last season at RG. But I don't see him starting at all.

RG: Marshal Yanda, Matt Skura,
Yanda please stay healthy. Even if he's at 85% of the player he used to be he's an all pro caliber player. That's how dominant he is. God I beg of you dude, stay healthy.

RT: Orlando Brown, Greg Senat

Brown is ready to start day one on tape. I think he will be good to go in shape wise day one. Lack of athletic ability be damned, Brown is a good football player and a coaches dream at RT. Brown could be a gargantuan upgrade over Howard if he's slated to play even on day one. He likely becomes Alex Collins' best friend forever. Senat will likely be behind Hurst as a player(Brown please stay healthy).

Defense

DL: Brandon Williams, Micheal Pierce, Willie Henry, Carl Davis, Chris Wormley Zach Sieler
Williams' impact is obvious as a run defender but both Pierce and Henry are underrated in this regard. The real question for Wink is.. How is the roation going to work. A bunch of these players have potential to be decent interior rushers(Davis and Wormley could be decent and Zach's athleticism is actually very promising even if we've never heard of the guy). The DL, if used with a proper rotation, is one of the most underrated units in the league.

OLB: Terrell Suggs, Matt Judon, Tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, Za'Darius Smith(fuck you Harbaugh)

Smith is a player who should not be on the team. Let's get this out of the way. If I were running the ravens he and James Hurst would be the first two people I cut. I hate Hurst a lot.. I hate Smith more. There is so much talent here, yet the two potential thoroughbreads who flashed a lot lost snaps to a guy who didn't deserve it. Another question for Wink is how are Bowser and Williams going to be used. Suggs probably has another season in him given that he actually turned the clock back last year(he hasn't looked that good since 2014). Judon is steady but should also not be stealing snaps from Bowser or Timmy. Even if the only thing we use Smith for is situational pass rushing, the defense should be better off. Bowser could be a Jamie Collins type which I am good with. So much talent, let's hope we use it.

MLB: CJ Mosley, Kenny Young, Patrick Onwuasor
CJ Mosley may be half man, half amazing, but we need to add a guy here. Onwuasor was a liability, no question about it. I want Bowman. I know that he's not the same player anymore, but he'd still make a significant impact in the run game. Kenny Young is at least a solid coverage backer, and having Bowser on the team should make everything a hell of a lot easier for everyone else as well. Just get a rotation going, keep the defense fresh, and play players to their damn strengths. Wink has a lot of eyes on him.

CB: Jimmy Smith, Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Tavon Young, Anthony Averrett, Maurice Canaday.
The most stable and polished unit on the team going forward. Humphrey looks the part of a future #1 CB. Brandon Carr is a steady starter who worst case scenario is very good depth. Tavon Young is a guy who should be a top flight slot CB but can hack it on the outside(and yes he can. Just because he had one bad game does not make him a liability, watch the damn tape). Averrett has versatility similar to Tavon Young with his ability to play inside or outside, and worst case scenario, Canaday looked to be a starting caliber slot CB himself who can platoon at safety if need be. We haven't even gotten to Jimmy Smith yet either. If he can come back somewhat healthy from an achilles injury, then this unit isn't going to be stout, but potentially elite. We're 6 deep with corner, a position 3 years ago that was a total liability. Let's hope that our big three(Smith, Humphrey, and Young) can all stay healthy. But we are very well prepared

FS: Eric Weddle, Elliot
Weddle is the old reliable veteran. Who was misused last season and weirdly had positioning issues(usually his bread and butter). Athleticism was not his issue last season. Nonetheless, I want to see us add another player here. Tre Boston was a good player last season who gets no recognition. I'd like to see him as the third safety to help bolster the depth.

SS:Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark
Jefferson was misused by Pees so hard last season that I was bashing my skull in the pavement. How hard can it be to use that guy. Jefferson is best in zone coverage, closer to the LOS who is decent if you put him in single high looks, but that's not his game. He's an enforcer. Use him like Arizona did and he's an impact player. Use him like we did, and he's a slightly above average SS(which is what he was last year). Wink, use him correctly.

K: Justin Tucker
P: Sam Koch
LS: Morgan Cox

easy... Best kicker, top tier punter, and well..... A long snapper..

Brent Urban...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
doing some quick maths i reckon there's 29 spots on each side of the ball that could possibly make it... so i've got 61 total competing spots for 53 spots and 68 competing players...

and before injuries i have 44 spots locked up by players who will absolutely be making the roster...

as i see it therefore we've got all of these players competing for 9 roster spots:

QB: RGIII
RB: Buck Allen, Kenneth Dixon
TE: Nick Boyle, Vince Mayle
WR: Chris Moore, Tim White, Janarion Grant, Breshad Perriman (I don't think he makes it to camp), Quincy Adeboyejo
OL: Matt Skura, Jermaine Eluemunor, Bradley Bozeman, Greg Senat
DL: Zach Sieler, Bronson Kaufusi, Myles Humphrey
EDGE: Zadarius Smith
LB: Albert Mclellan, Bam Bradley, Kamalei Correa
S: Anthony Levine
CB: Jaylen Hill, Darious Williams

some provisos...
  • we will carry 3 RBs so its likely both buck and dixon make the roster given we have added no one else to the competition
  • at least 2 of those OL will be part of the team to make a minimum of 8 on the roster
  • Jaylen Hill might start the year on PUP (and if Jimmy Smith does too then it would make the non-locked spots 10 rather than 9)

my best guess is that RGIII, Nick Boyle, Chris Moore (and the rest of the wrs), Greg Senat, Zach Sieler, Zadarius Smith (and the LBs) and Anthony Levine will be fighting over 4 roster spots

on a purely numbers basis i'd imagine those 4 spots would go to Zach Sieler, Nick Boyle, one of the LBs and Chris Moore... but it's hard to bet against ZDS or Levine

at the moment i've basically got ZDS, Levine and Mclellan fighting over one spot and i reckon it could go any way

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
doing some quick maths i reckon there's 29 spots on each side of the ball that could possibly make it... so i've got 61 total competing spots for 53 spots and 68 competing players...

and before injuries i have 44 spots locked up by players who will absolutely be making the roster...

as i see it therefore we've got all of these players competing for 9 roster spots:

WR: Chris Moore, Tim White, Janarion Grant, Breshad Perriman (I don't think he makes it to camp), Quincy Adeboyejo

some provisos...
  • we will carry 3 RBs so its likely both buck and dixon make the roster given we have added no one else to the competition
  • at least 2 of those OL will be part of the team to make a minimum of 8 on the roster
  • Jaylen Hill might start the year on PUP (and if Jimmy Smith does too then it would make the non-locked spots 10 rather than 9)

my best guess is that RGIII, Nick Boyle, Chris Moore (and the rest of the wrs), Greg Senat, Zach Sieler, Zadarius Smith (and the LBs) and Anthony Levine will be fighting over 4 roster spots

on a purely numbers basis i'd imagine those 4 spots would go to Zach Sieler, Nick Boyle, one of the LBs and Chris Moore... but it's hard to bet against ZDS or Levine

at the moment i've basically got ZDS, Levine and Mclellan fighting over one spot and i reckon it could go any way
Training camp injuries will clear that picture up.
Harbaugh says "hi".

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

some provisos...

Lets also not forget there will likely be 1 sleeper we havn't seen yet take a spot which makes it that much harder.