• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Does Lamar have to be top 5? I mean shit lol
If he can stay in the top 25 in shit like completion%, YPA, and TD:int while still providing all the same threat on the ground, then he probably is a top 10 qb.

No he doesn’t need to be top 5 nor does he need to be a top passer. He needs to be the best Lamar Jackson that he can be, and if that’s a below average passer while also being one of the leagues most dangerous playmakers, then he will win us games. And I believe that even if he progresses little to none as a passer he will still lead us to wins as long as we have a good defense and our playbook opens up a little.

Going from mid 30s in basically every important qb stat to mid 20s would make Lamar unstoppable. People want so bad for Lamar to be trash because he’s not a great passer that they forget everything else he can do.

Tank

Hall of Famer
If he can stay in the top 25 in shit like completion%, YPA, and TD:int while still providing all the same threat on the ground, then he probably is a top 10 qb.

No he doesn’t need to be top 5 nor does he need to be a top passer. He needs to be the best Lamar Jackson that he can be, and if that’s a below average passer while also being one of the leagues most dangerous playmakers, then he will win us games. And I believe that even if he progresses little to none as a passer he will still lead us to wins as long as we have a good defense and our playbook opens up a little.

Going from mid 30s in basically every important qb stat to mid 20s would make Lamar unstoppable. People want so bad for Lamar to be trash because he’s not a great passer that they forget everything else he can do.
Fix the fumbleitis.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Top 10 is not as easy as it once was. There are a LOT like a LOT of very good QBs in the NFL right now (like I have never seen so many teams potentially have the guy at once) and a lot of them are already ahead. Even among rookies right now he is probably 3rd or 4th best QB in his class right now (I dont dislike how Josh Allen did but he did not do anything particularly well). Right around average is all he needs to be over the next couple years in order for the Ravens to compete with the defense they have. Looking around the NFL though getting to top 10 is not an easy task.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's 6-2 with his so called Fumbleitis! Just imagine his record without it! With that kind of record I don't care about his fumbles but would like them fixed if possible. I can't imagine how good this kid will be with improved passing and reduced fumbles.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Top 10 is not as easy as it once was. There are a LOT like a LOT of very good QBs in the NFL right now (like I have never seen so many teams potentially have the guy at once) and a lot of them are already ahead. Even among rookies right now he is probably 3rd or 4th best QB in his class right now (I dont dislike how Josh Allen did but he did not do anything particularly well). Right around average is all he needs to be over the next couple years in order for the Ravens to compete with the defense they have. Looking around the NFL though getting to top 10 is not an easy task.
Hell never be a top 10 passer. I’m simply saying top 10 qb, like eye test. Without quantifying a damn thing and just watching him and saying this guys impact for his team makes him top 10, whether that’s scheme design based on his talents, actual production, rushing yardage, extending plays etc. then I think he’s got that potential

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
Lamar:

a.) progress as a passer; go through his progressions
b.) be more accurate on a consistent basis when throwing the ball
c.) ball security with the ball in his hands

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar:

He's already better than Joe on progressions who had primary target then checkdown plus his eyes never leave downfield when he's scrambling. On accuracy I think his short to medium range is pretty good but his 20 yd throws and above need drastic improvement. Hopefully his offseason work with Urban and his receivers gives them more of a connection and anticipation. The ball security is major. A 50% improvement would mean the world!!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar:

Lamar does need to be more consistent when reading but he already understands route concepts well and has shown a really cerebral ability to go through his progressions and diagnose post-snap what the defence is giving him - just needs to be more consistent with it

But he’s already got nice pocket presence and movement, has shown an ability to beat a defence with his eyes as well as by understanding conceptually how to beat a look the defence gives him

Completely agree with points b and c, ball security and his lack of it caused too many turnovers and dead on arrival snaps that killed drives last year and being better at it this year will mean we maintain offensive momentum better

And accuracy is of course important too and I think that will improve this year for a few reasons:
- better mechanics and consistent footwork will naturally improve his consistency of accuracy
- better mechanics will also reduce the ducks he throws into the turf
- overhauling the receiver corps and adding weapons that will get more consistently open and getting rid of the players who led the league in drops

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
And accuracy is of course important too and I think that will improve this year for a few reasons:
- better mechanics and consistent footwork will naturally improve his consistency of accuracy
- better mechanics will also reduce the ducks he throws into the turf
- overhauling the receiver corps and adding weapons that will get more consistently open and getting rid of the players who led the league in drops

Mod., that is correct. Separation and getting more consistently open on the part of the new receiving corps is important or key for Lamar Jackson as a passer. The league became a passing league in 2010.

Reactions: cdp