• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just watched every offensive snap and wrote about 20 pages of notes and though you see Lamar miss a few throws. I have to say this about his passing. There is a leaps and bounds improvement....I can't even believe some of the reads he made in this game....high high level stuff. Absolutely brilliant stepping up in the pocket waiting on certain throws. on point reading defenders and delivering throws based on a manipulating of a DB by route combination

The play calling by the OC so far as design and set up from one play to the next was brilliant....almost beautiful play calling if there is such a thing.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just watched every offensive snap and wrote about 20 pages of notes and though you see Lamar miss a few throws. I have to say this about his passing. There is a leaps and bounds improvement....I can't even believe some of the reads he made in this game....high high level stuff. Absolutely brilliant stepping up in the pocket waiting on certain throws. on point reading defenders and delivering throws based on a manipulating of a DB by route combination

The play calling by the OC so far as design and set up from one play to the next was brilliant....almost beautiful play calling if there is such a thing.
From what I can recall he had about 3 throws that were just not good throws, not counting throwaways and other things like that.

How close is this number? I remember one to andrews, one that was out of Hollywood’s reach, and I wanna say the other was to Boyle, and I can’t remember more errant throws than that.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

I noticed how smooth and timely he is stepping up in the pocket but the thing that impresses the most is how well he understands what's happening on all levels of the field. He's a freak that way.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
From what I can recall he had about 3 throws that were just not good throws, not counting throwaways and other things like that.

How close is this number? I remember one to andrews, one that was out of Hollywood’s reach, and I wanna say the other was to Boyle, and I can’t remember more errant throws than that.
He had Boyle set up for a screen that looked very promising and opted to sidearm tight window it when a short rainbow oner the line was the way to go. That was on him.
I felt he stared down the seam route to Hill and was read by reddick...though I felt Hill was open early on that for whatever thats worth.
He missed Marquise on the 4th down throw ( also had Miles at the sticks for a conversion but was really after Marquise the whole time...and he did have seperation. Then there was a cross where he overthrew him as well ..so there were a few.

But man!!!! I'll give you one read of many. On the 4th drive there is a throw where Mark cuts his route off ,sits down between defenders in a sort of hook zone...Lamar steps up in the pocket away from pressure, comes off of Haydn ( who he wants behind the linebackers ) and hits a strike....Im gonna try to Gif that sucker....hold on a minute

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
nick:mark 2.gif

Nick:Mark.gif

Even to my untrained eye, Lamar's ability in the pocket stands out; he just seems to be able to sense pressure and knows where to go to step away from it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As a contrast, here is week 1 followed by what we were looking at by the end of last year:

pass-chart_JAC323395_2019-reg-1_1567976509063.jpeg

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_JAC323395_2018-reg-all_1545937145221.jpeg

Lamar is far exceeding expectations at this point, he did miss some recievers who were open but if I know Lamar he will constantly improve. That said I would rather see him win games in the air than on his legs but a win is a win.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lamar is far exceeding expectations at this point, he did miss some recievers who were open but if I know Lamar he will constantly improve. That said I would rather see him win games in the air than on his legs but a win is a win.
You can’t take away what makes Lamar special, He could run the ball 20 times in a week and I’d have no problem with it, let the man do what he does

Tank

Hall of Famer
You can’t take away what makes Lamar special, He could run the ball 20 times in a week and I’d have no problem with it, let the man do what he does
I’m starting to buy into this. Even if it’s only done occasionally it opens up everything else so much and makes defending even more of a guessing game, makes it worth the risk. And as you say, it’s a huge part of what Lamar is and we have to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
I’m starting to buy into this. Even if it’s only done occasionally it opens up everything else so much and makes defending even more of a guessing game, makes it worth the risk. And as you say, it’s a huge part of what Lamar is and we have to take advantage of it.

I’m on board the Lamar train, even the running part. Although I gotta be honest, I cringe every time he runs. It’s a risk vs reward deal. There is higher risk for injury, but the reward is amazing for our offense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m on board the Lamar train, even the running part. Although I gotta be honest, I cringe every time he runs. It’s a risk vs reward deal. There is higher risk for injury, but the reward is amazing for our offense.
there isn't a higher risk for injury, just take a look around the league this year. Most of the time the runs are designed runs where he is running out of bounds or getting down before the hit. Yes, hits happen, but the QB's that stay in the pocket all the time, get hit the worst.