• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

there isn't a higher risk for injury, just take a look around the league this year. Most of the time the runs are designed runs where he is running out of bounds or getting down before the hit. Yes, hits happen, but the QB's that stay in the pocket all the time, get hit the worst.

If you’re telling me there’s no more risk running the ball vs. handing it off, I ain’t buying it. Every time Lamar puts himself into a position to be hit, whether passing or running, it increases the chance for injury. It’s simple math. But as I said I’m fine with the added risk because that’s who he is and it makes us a better team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you’re telling me there’s no more risk running the ball vs. handing it off, I ain’t buying it. Every time Lamar puts himself into a position to be hit, whether passing or running, it increases the chance for injury. It’s simple math. But as I said I’m fine with the added risk because that’s who he is and it makes us a better team.

right but he avoids hits with his legs... he doesnt get hit hard because its incredibly hard to line him up

and mania is right - the worst hits you take as a qb are the hits you take in the pocket where you're blind to them (either coming from behind or coming from the "blindside")

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
right but he avoids hits with his legs... he doesnt get hit hard because its incredibly hard to line him up

and mania is right - the worst hits you take as a qb are the hits you take in the pocket where you're blind to them (either coming from behind or coming from the "blindside")
Yep. Those blind hits are the worst because you don’t expect them. Look at all the guys who got hurt this weekend. I think it was all while in the pocket right?

Yeah I wasn’t debating how he gets hit, whether running or passing from the pocket, just the added risk. I’m just saying if you increase your opportunity to get hurt the risk has to be higher. I agree that the blind side hit, or the roll up on the knee give higher chance for more severe injury.

Charm City

Pro Bowler

Sitting in the pocket and getting blindsided is just as bad, if not worse, than running and getting tackled from your side

Tank

Hall of Famer
Sitting in the pocket and getting blindsided is just as bad, if not worse, than running and getting tackled from your side
Not really worth arguing, but basic laws of physics say otherwise. If a guy is running the hit comes from the opposite direction the net force will be much greater than if the guy is stationary. Lot's of other possible variables so yeah, not worth debating.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Not really worth arguing, but basic laws of physics say otherwise. If a guy is running the hit comes from the opposite direction the net force will be much greater than if the guy is stationary. Lot's of other possible variables so yeah, not worth debating.
Not arguing either, but how often have we seen Lamar get hit head on while he's running? He usually gets tackled from the side or behind.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

you're assuming he gets hit head on - ive not seen lamar get hit head on when he's running...
there's also the fact that when you're in the pocket you dont always have the opportunity to brace for the hit because you might still be delivering the throw whereas you control to a certain extent how you get hit when you're running and can see what's coming

Not arguing either, but how often have we seen Lamar get hit head on while he's running? He usually gets tackled from the side or behind.

Yeah but you’re making assumptions. No one knows what will happen on any given play. I shared a link of the RG3 hit that essentially ruined his career. Ironically it was against us. Lol. Who could predict how that happened?

Here it is again.

https://images.app.goo.gl/mbqYyHd3p81CuwsMA

rossihunter2

Staff Member
EErwFwlXoAAYw3m

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Once again I wasn’t debating that. See post just above yours. I agree with the point you make but bad things can still happen. Just ask RG3.

https://images.app.goo.gl/mbqYyHd3p81CuwsMA
RG3 was not injured on a designed run, he was scrambling out of the pocket when the play broke down. This is something every quarterback has to do.

It's not even fair to use this as an analogy.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
you're assuming he gets hit head on - ive not seen lamar get hit head on when he's running...
there's also the fact that when you're in the pocket you dont always have the opportunity to brace for the hit because you might still be delivering the throw whereas you control to a certain extent how you get hit when you're running and can see what's coming
Don't think I assumed anything, thus the statement "lots of other variables, not worth debating".

RG3 was not on a designed run, he was scrambling out of the pocket when the play broke down. This is something every quarterback has to do.

It's not even fair to use this as an analogy.

Im not sure what that has to do with anything. So your saying that something like that couldn’t happen on a designed run? I say it definitely could, and does happen. May not be as likely, but definitely could happen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Im not sure what that has to do with anything. So your saying that something like that couldn’t happen on a designed run? I say it definitely could, and does happen. May not be as likely, but definitely could happen.
designed runs put you in a good position away from contact, like running out of bounds or sliding before contact. When you are scrambling, you are scrambling because you are about to be sacked. Yes there is a HUGE difference between a designed run and scrambling.

Fiind examples of QBs getting injured while they are on a designed run. It happens less often than being nailed in the pocket. We are giving you actual examples and many recent.

The point is traditional pocket QB's are more likely to have bad injuries, imo and do in fact.