• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamar Passing Charts Week 3
pass-chart_JAC323395_2019-reg-3_1569184878718.jpeg

In a game where we weren't looking as sharp as the previous weeks passing wise, this chart is really encouraging. I saw a few comments around that we were looking at 2018 level regression from Lamar. This chart says otherwise. Tons of shots deep and completions to the left side of the field. Not so much of a focus on short/intermediate middle and right. To me, the data suggests more of a tough day/mechanical breakdowns than outright regression. We know that is something that Lamar has improved upon and continues to work on regularly. I'm betting that nobody is more disappointed in the passing offense yesterday than he is right now, and that he's going to work extra hard in the upcoming weeks to clean anything up.

It wasn't a good day for the passing offense, and Lamar caught a lot of lucky breaks where things could have turned out a lot worse. But we're still looking at someone who is comfortable taking shots down field and throwing to all parts of the field. Bad days are going to happen, so lets see how he rebounds. I'm betting on quite well.

I

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
A lot of those plays behind the LoS were bailout plays too except I think a few designed ones, maybe one or two I can recall. I think we did a bad job with the offensive game plan and as much credit as I can give Roman, I think we messed up a lot on his area and with Don on defense. Both coordinators called bad games and had a lot of issues. I am optimistic that Roman will improve and get back to what works so one bad game doesn't make a trend. The Chiefs fans really are using this game as fuel, though. They are saying Lamar sucks and can't throw and don't worry about seeing him in the playoffs. I hope we do see them in the playoffs at Arrowhead or not so we can shut them up. I think Lamar and Roman wanted to make this a statement game about how Lamar can throw but that KC DL was tough and made it hard with little to no time at times. It really messed up Lamar and you could see it but he managed to get his head out of his ass and made throws when it counted at the end.

I will say, I saw something from him I never or rarely saw from Joe: the ability to overcome a bad game and clean it up at the end when it counted. Lamar was way better in "garbage" time when Joe would've continued to throw bad balls and make bad decisions. Lamar does need to learn to throw the ball away if a play isn't there, though. He has a lot of confidence in himself to make the play and so he holds the ball longer than he should hoping for a breakdown & that causes some of those sacks we saw yesterday and the unnecessary hits in the pocket. Those will likely get him hurt more than the designed runs, too.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
A lot of those plays behind the LoS were bailout plays too except I think a few designed ones, maybe one or two I can recall. I think we did a bad job with the offensive game plan and as much credit as I can give Roman, I think we messed up a lot on his area and with Don on defense. Both coordinators called bad games and had a lot of issues. I am optimistic that Roman will improve and get back to what works so one bad game doesn't make a trend. The Chiefs fans really are using this game as fuel, though. They are saying Lamar sucks and can't throw and don't worry about seeing him in the playoffs. I hope we do see them in the playoffs at Arrowhead or not so we can shut them up. I think Lamar and Roman wanted to make this a statement game about how Lamar can throw but that KC DL was tough and made it hard with little to no time at times. It really messed up Lamar and you could see it but he managed to get his head out of his ass and made throws when it counted at the end.

I will say, I saw something from him I never or rarely saw from Joe: the ability to overcome a bad game and clean it up at the end when it counted. Lamar was way better in "garbage" time when Joe would've continued to throw bad balls and make bad decisions. Lamar does need to learn to throw the ball away if a play isn't there, though. He has a lot of confidence in himself to make the play and so he holds the ball longer than he should hoping for a breakdown & that causes some of those sacks we saw yesterday and the unnecessary hits in the pocket. Those will likely get him hurt more than the designed runs, too.
Totally agree he needs to get rid of the ball and avoid being hit in the pocket. Almost all young QB's tend to hold the ball too long and I'm sure he will learn to get rid of the ball quicker in due time.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Totally agree he needs to get rid of the ball and avoid being hit in the pocket. Almost all young QB's tend to hold the ball too long and I'm sure he will learn to get rid of the ball quicker in due time.
I think Lamar holds it mainly because he thinks he can make a play with his arm or feet. Yeah, I agree. I think he’ll fix that problem but we will see

JAAM

Hall of Famer

In a game where we weren't looking as sharp as the previous weeks passing wise, this chart is really encouraging. I saw a few comments around that we were looking at 2018 level regression from Lamar. This chart says otherwise. Tons of shots deep and completions to the left side of the field. Not so much of a focus on short/intermediate middle and right. To me, the data suggests more of a tough day/mechanical breakdowns than outright regression. We know that is something that Lamar has improved upon and continues to work on regularly. I'm betting that nobody is more disappointed in the passing offense yesterday than he is right now, and that he's going to work extra hard in the upcoming weeks to clean anything up.

It wasn't a good day for the passing offense, and Lamar caught a lot of lucky breaks where things could have turned out a lot worse. But we're still looking at someone who is comfortable taking shots down field and throwing to all parts of the field. Bad days are going to happen, so lets see how he rebounds. I'm betting on quite well.

I
Who the hell was saying Lamar regressed to 2018 after the first two games of the season hahaha. Put those idiots on blast because the dude has looked ridiculously improved with his mechanics and footwork and literally everything else. Not his fault there was someone in his face every snap from the interior against the Chiefs. Get us a good Center this offseason and he’s golden.

Who the hell was saying Lamar regressed to 2018 after the first two games of the season hahaha. Put those idiots on blast because the dude has looked ridiculously improved with his mechanics and footwork and literally everything else. Not his fault there was someone in his face every snap from the interior against the Chiefs. Get us a good Center this offseason and he’s golden.
Who is saying Lamar regressed in this game? All the pundits who predicted he would show us all that he can’t throw and would fail in this league.

Every single critique of his play this past Sunday blatantly reveals what that writer predicted for Lamar this year. Amazing how diverse the analysis of his play was in this game ... as diverse as the predictions for his season. A sea of writers trying to validate themselves rather than give an unbiased account. It’s kind of a joke.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

I
You should gamble more because you bet correctly. Not only will Lamar rebound but he's going to have a stellar game that is going to resemble the Miami game.

purp

Practice Squad
Give credit where credit is due. The Chiefs defensive line did a good job putting pressure on Lamar.

KC did a good job of making Lamar feel pressure, not actually having pressure. There were a noticeable number of dropbacks where he made moves when there was no real pressure in his face. He was forcing it. That was being young and on a big stage. He’ll grow out of it.

All that said, this team’s prospects this year are directly proportional to how quickly our QB grows. We’re in a 5-year window right now. Enjoy the ride.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
KC did a good job of making Lamar feel pressure, not actually having pressure. There were a noticeable number of dropbacks where he made moves when there was no real pressure in his face. He was forcing it. That was being young and on a big stage. He’ll grow out of it.

All that said, this team’s prospects this year are directly proportional to how quickly our QB grows. We’re in a 5-year window right now. Enjoy the ride.

I watched a load of his throws (the deep misses) - mechanics looked good - I think Lamar was just amped up and the extra adrenaline made him put a little bit too much on some of those balls

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Random but It’s so weird seeing Lamar in the top 5 of Fantasy Football rankings every week. I love how if you take away his passing, he can still kill you with his legs. Such a difference from that statue Flacco

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Random but It’s so weird seeing Lamar in the top 5 of Fantasy Football rankings every week. I love how if you take away his passing, he can still kill you with his legs. Such a difference from that statue Flacco

Lamar is on pace for over 4500 yds passing with 37 TDS and over 900 yds rushing and 5 TDS on the ground...

That’s a lot of fantasy points

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is on pace for over 4500 yds passing with 37 TDS and over 900 yds rushing and 5 TDS on the ground...

If he somehow does anywhere near that??? That would be AMAZING

JAAM

Hall of Famer

MVP season. Screw Mahomes