• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Considering how wacky our game plans have been the last 2 games, Lamar has 10 Tds for the year which ties him with Mahomes. 2 ints. And 1 rushing TD.

He has played a grand total of 11 games including the playoffs so far lol
Lets not overhype this guy too much right now. Yes he is improving, has plenty of time to improve. But right now I am scared to play the Seahawks, Pats and Rams later this year. Mostly because of our leaky defense but also becsuse I fear Lamar will play as he did today as well as repeat history from last year.

Especially his misleading stats you mention in a positive light. 10 TDs 2ints on the year looks great.

5 were against Miami a team that probably would surrender 5tds to a college team.

In the 2 losses since then, subtracting meaningless garbage time stats Lamar has 2 passing TDs and 2ints including zero against KC other than a meaningless rushing score with the game out of reach. He has had more missed TD opportunities/missed throws than made TDs. But garbage time plays like the Willie Snead 50 yard play earlier today keep Lamar out of those hot seat type stats.

It makes you happy to see Lamar improving as a passer and throw 5TDs and long bombs to wide open receivers, but the dude is still clearly a big-time work in progress.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lets not overhype this guy too much right now. Yes he is improving, has plenty of time to improve. But right now I am scared to play the Seahawks, Pats and Rams later this year. Mostly because of our leaky defense but also becsuse I fear Lamar will play as he did today as well as repeat history from last year.

Especially his misleading stats you mention in a positive light. 10 TDs 2ints on the year looks great.

5 were against Miami a team that probably would surrender 5tds to a college team.

In the 2 losses since then, subtracting meaningless garbage time stats Lamar has 2 passing TDs and 2ints including zero against KC other than a meaningless rushing score with the game out of reach. He has had more missed TD opportunities/missed throws than made TDs. But garbage time plays like the Willie Snead 50 yard play earlier today keep Lamar out of those hot seat type stats.

It makes you happy to see Lamar improving as a passer and throw 5TDs and long bombs to wide open receivers, but the dude is still clearly a big-time work in progress.
he may have had 5 against Miami, but it's one of the games in the season. Besides, he only played 3 quarters in that game, it could have been more. Why would you even isolate these games, every QB has great games and bad games, it goes to the average.j

Is he a work in progress. No question, but he's showing steady improvement and will have bad games and should be allowed to have bad games. He's essentially a rookie.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

I dont know what you want me to tell you. I pointed out some facts.

Not sure where the hype you're talking about came from.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
upload_2019-9-30_15-33-7.png

rossihunter2

Staff Member
More context - after the ravens worst game in a long time and also after Lamar’s worst qb game of the year (against the chiefs) this from Jonas Shaffer:

“Through four games, Ravens QB Lamar Jackson is on pace to finish this season with 4,440 passing yards, 40 passing touchdowns, 64.9% accuracy, a 1.5% interception rate and 8.3 yards per attempt. All would be franchise records.

Oh, and the Ravens lead the NFL in rushing, too.”

As bad as the defence has been, this offence is rolling even despite the misfires - we just need to finish those drives

Quibble with playcalling etc but this offence is doing things never seen before by the ravens

JAAM

Hall of Famer
More context - after the ravens worst game in a long time and also after Lamar’s worst qb game of the year (against the chiefs) this from Jonas Shaffer:

“Through four games, Ravens QB Lamar Jackson is on pace to finish this season with 4,440 passing yards, 40 passing touchdowns, 64.9% accuracy, a 1.5% interception rate and 8.3 yards per attempt. All would be franchise records.

As bad as the defence has been, this offence is rolling even despite the misfires - we just need to finish those drives

Quibble with playcalling etc but this offence is doing things never seen before by the ravens
Man I hope he reaches those numbers. I’m sick and tired of hearing all the shit talk about him from “fans” of the NFL who don’t watch our games

D1City55

Pro Bowler

I feel like the offense needs to make some tweaks and clean up some things and we're in a good spot. I'm not worried too much about the offense outside of protection on the interior. I think Lamar's connection with Hollywood will improve and once Andrews returns to 100% our passing game should be good.

The defense, now that's a whole other discussion. Edges are atrocious right now.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

The past 2 games numbers look okay because of garbage time stat padding but 10 points through 3 quarters does not a "rolling" offense make. All these high picks were invested into the offense the past 2 seasons so it needs to start paying dividends.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Both of his INTs were unfortunate. I kinda saw DPI on Andrews since the CB tripped him up before he had a chance to go up for the jump ball. The second one was just a tipped pass so credit to the defender on that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If Lamar is a few inches shorter on half of like 10 different passes last week then we’re talking about undisputed top qb performance and on pace for a historical season. He’s literally been inches off of huge completions many, MANY times this year, most of them just coming last week with like 4-5 different shots that would’ve been huge TDs had he let up just a hair. All this with a wr who he didn’t practice with in nearly all of TC.

I’d say that truly Lamar is not the one deserving of bashing. Criticism, sure, as I said he’s been inches off a number of times and that’s been the difference between “wow Lamar has improved” and “holy shid Lamar is possibly the most dangerous nfl player we’ve ever seen”. Like seriously lol, that’s the difference made from such a tiny margin of error.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am just enjoying what I am seeing from Lamar at the moment. No expectations of the next great QB or the next Mike Vick or all the outside noise.

He is just Lamar. It's fun

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The past 2 games numbers look okay because of garbage time stat padding but 10 points through 3 quarters does not a "rolling" offense make. All these high picks were invested into the offense the past 2 seasons so it needs to start paying dividends.

I added the context that we weren’t finishing enough drives through miscues etc as an addendum to that rolling comment which you’re conveniently ignoring

And while the Snead 50 yd td was garbage time, there was no garbage time in the chiefs game at all

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I am just enjoying what I am seeing from Lamar at the moment. No expectations of the next great QB or the next Mike Vick or all the outside noise.

He is just Lamar. It's fun
That’s kinda how I’m looking at it. Even in losses he is electric as hell, he’s must see tv, but you can’t help but be excited about the future. Even if his totally capped out right now, he offers enough to win a super bowl, but not without a defense

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s kinda how I’m looking at it. Even in losses he is electric as hell, he’s must see tv, but you can’t help but be excited about the future. Even if his totally capped out right now, he offers enough to win a super bowl, but not without a defense

He is doing extremely well for a rookie. I am ok with that

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

In my eyes we have superstar in the making at QB and although he's not there yet, I have great confidence that he will absolutely get there.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1178763949535154176?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1178763949535154176&ref_url=https://www.redditmedia.com/mediaembed/dbic4q?responsive=true&is_nightmode=false

[URL='https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann']Brett Kollmann

@BrettKollmann[/URL]

Just finished watching back Browns - Ravens. It’s pretty obvious to me that anyone laying that loss at Lamar’s feet didn’t watch the game. Drops, fumbles, receivers catching deep balls while standing with a foot out of bounds. Defense couldn’t get off the field. Pitiful.

The coveted analysis of the infallible Brett Kollman:

Last edited by a moderator:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Seems like it's gone from "Can Lamar pass?" to "Can a dynamic Lamar now carry a Ravens team that has no defense?"

Left with no defense, Lamar Jackson needs to carry Ravens this season

"If the Ravens want to capture that title again, Jackson has to put this team on his back."

Browns slow down Lamar Jackson enough to win, but defending him will only get more difficult

"The Ravens young passing game has to continue developing and likely continue adding pieces, but they are on the right track and Jackson is really impressive, even if he's an unfinished product. As dangerous and problematic as Jackson was against the Browns, he can get a lot better the rest of this season and the coming years.

Now about that defense...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1178763949535154176?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1178763949535154176&ref_url=https://www.redditmedia.com/mediaembed/dbic4q?responsive=true&is_nightmode=false

Brett Kollmann

@BrettKollmann

Just finished watching back Browns - Ravens. It’s pretty obvious to me that anyone laying that loss at Lamar’s feet didn’t watch the game. Drops, fumbles, receivers catching deep balls while standing with a foot out of bounds. Defense couldn’t get off the field. Pitiful.

The coveted analysis of the infallible Brett Kollman:

im enjoying this full turn by brett kollmann from doubter to all in - would normally be a little wary of someone jumping on the train but having someone like that jump in with those sorts of comments is a small relief

i dont think ive ever 100% agreed with anything he's said but i do on that thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Firstly, you can’t call it garbage time stats if the game is in reach, 2 score games at the start of the fourth quarter isn’t garbage time, we didn’t reach garbage time vs the chiefs, and we didn’t reach garbage time vs the browns til the defense gave up the 88 yard run. Both games were well in reach, playing from behind and attempting a comeback isn’t garbage time, stop with that tired ass argument.

Second, you rave about what Kaepernick did yet keep discounting rushing yards. Why are you doing that? Lamar is putting up top 10 QB passing numbers and above average rb numbers.

You are giving Lamar hell for reasons that you’re literally making up.