• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
given the way we run to the right and given the athletic ability of stanley to make blocks in space it's crazy that we are such a bad screen team - and have been since ray rice has been gone

it shouldnt be difficult and yet we're never good at screens
We weren’t even good at screens with ray rice, he was just deadly on dump offs since we had every receiver running 9s and pulling the defense deep.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Guys, we can’t call for designed rollouts, ya know why?

.... because we’ve seen them often and they have basically a 100% fail rate and we all throw a goddamn fit every time. The power sweep passes are ineffective and also just hideous to watch, as soon as you see the line roll with the qb you know an incompletion or sack is coming. The only time it has ever worked is when it was designed for Lamar to throw back across his body, and that is a very risky play.

We don’t need that. What we need is for Lamar to just be himself and roll out when the opportunity is presented, or boots and waggles, we love running right on first down so much that teams just crash tf out of the right every first down, so take advantage, fake it from under center and roll Lamar left as the line downblocks right, run Hollywood on a zig out of the slot so it looks like he’s gonna block right, have him cut back late so Lamar can hit him in stride while the whole defense is pursuing opposite his direction, he’s the fastest goddamn player on the field and won’t be caught. How we haven’t figured out these kinds of things is beyond me
Often? This year?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Given the amount of cushion that Brown gets, it sure seems like a play worth running. I am surprised we haven't seen a bunched or at least with close splits look featuring marquise, Willie and Boykin. Boykin is pretty physical as a blocker and more than capable of being the receiver in that context. marquise is obviously slippery and explosive and Willie is an underrated after the catch guy.

One of the best, most effective single plays we have run this year was on a fake screen to Hollywood set up by multiple targets to him on one drive that opened up Andrews on a wide open wheel route

While the route combinations haven’t been awful, I’ve rarely seen that sort of designed creativity in our offence

But even just the threat of a screen to brown created a td - yet I’ve not seen a play like that since

Tank

Hall of Famer
This is pure confirmation bias but I’m with joey on this one
I recall quite a few failed attempts last year with Lamar on the move, but it doesn’t seem we have tried much this year, like it’s ignored pages in the playbook. Guess there’s a reason.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
One of the best, most effective single plays we have run this year was on a fake screen to Hollywood set up by multiple targets to him on one drive that opened up Andrews on a wide open wheel route

While the route combinations haven’t been awful, I’ve rarely seen that sort of designed creativity in our offence

But even just the threat of a screen to brown created a td - yet I’ve not seen a play like that since
I’m getting disappointed in the offensive play calling . We need to shake things up , now.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Often? This year?
It’s happened enough, I know for a fact we had one that was absolutely hideous, and we had one that I actually predicted on the game thread, and it went for a TD, but it looked quite different from the typical rollout pocket.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I thought Lamar played well today. He had that on horrible pass to Snead, but he ran well, made some nice tight passes to Andrews, and chucked it away when there was nothing there. Overall, I can’t complain.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I thought Lamar played well today. He had that on horrible pass to Snead, but he ran well, made some nice tight passes to Andrews, and chucked it away when there was nothing there. Overall, I can’t complain.
that pass was on Snead, not Lamar. You could tell just by the way Snead ran the route.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
that pass was on Snead, not Lamar. You could tell just by the way Snead ran the route.

also by the way lamar laid into him afterwards

i dont care how inaccurate people might think lamar is but you dont miss a pass that wide open like that - for that pass to hit the ground you're either awful or the receiver did something wrong and id say its clearly the latter

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

i dont care how inaccurate people might think lamar is but you dont miss a pass that wide open like that - for that pass to hit the ground you're either awful or the receiver did something wrong and id say its clearly the latter
he did and that's what made me go back and look at that play closer.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Through the first six weeks Lamar is top 10 in passing yard and 8th in the nfl in rushing how truly amazing is that? Has anyone ever finished top 10 in both categories?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Through the first six weeks Lamar is top 10 in passing yard and 8th in the nfl in rushing how truly amazing is that? Has anyone ever finished top 10 in both categories?
maybe Fran Tarkenton or Steve young, Mike Vick or Randall Cunningham.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Im worried about lamar now.. i still think its the way he grips the ball that causing the accruacy issues. Sometimes he also throws side arm when he doesnt have too. Its like he makes the hard throws but miss the easy ones.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Or the QB misread the route. Not saying that happened but as I couldn't see the route and only saw Snead wide open it could've been either one

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Or the QB misread the route. Not saying that happened but as I couldn't see the route and only saw Snead wide open it could've been either one
you missed LJ yelling at Snead. After I saw that, I went back and watched it. It was definitely on Snead.