• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I can’t remember who it was but yeah I remember a couple people going on about his wonderlic score and how that meant he wouldn’t be able to handle the complexities of the game that must be grasped by an NFL QB. I don’t track who said what on the board but I thought Sami was one but maybe I think that only only because he tend to be a tad negative...

There are reasons why every team passed on him and a perceived inability to throw from the pocket was only one of the reasons. Another may likely be perceived intelligence. In the end teams know the QB is the face of the franchise and they didn’t see Lamar as the guy they’d want to be their rep. He doesn’t fit the golden boy model that teams want.

Their loss our gain.
I do remember that and believe sami was one of them. In the meantime, I believe I've heard he has a photographic memory.

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do remember that and believe sami was one of them. In the meantime, I believe I've heard he has a photographic memory.
I think I heard something similar.
I can’t remember who it was but yeah I remember a couple people going on about his wonderlic score and how that meant he wouldn’t be able to handle the complexities of the game that must be grasped by an NFL QB. I don’t track who said what on the board but I thought Sami was one but maybe I think that only only because he tend to be a tad negative...

There are reasons why every team passed on him and a perceived inability to throw from the pocket was only one of the reasons. Another may likely be perceived intelligence. In the end teams know the QB is the face of the franchise and they didn’t see Lamar as the guy they’d want to be their rep. He doesn’t fit the golden boy model that teams want.

Their loss our gain.
I said it last season: Wonderlic scores measure/test your general knowledge and some type of people do better in those tests than others because of the format (If you're not math savvy you can already not answer a lot of questions quick enough) But as a QB you "only" must have football smarts.
I'm just happy the transition to a new Qb and scheme went pretty seamless and Ozzie/EdC picked apparently the right one^_^

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Their loss our gain.
The crazy thing is that he IS the golden boy type, he’s just a darker shade than what we usually see as the golden boy lol.

I for one was with it up until I saw his red carpet interview with Michael Irvin, because he didn’t just sound the way Lamar sounds, he sounded straight up mentally challenged in that one lol.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The crazy thing is that he IS the golden boy type, he’s just a darker shade than what we usually see as the golden boy lol.

I for one was with it up until I saw his red carpet interview with Michael Irvin, because he didn’t just sound the way Lamar sounds, he sounded straight up mentally challenged in that one lol.
No he doesn't speak well, but I have to say he has gotten much better at it since that interview.

I’m trying to be careful to not assume more than I can know regarding a players character. Lamar seems like a genuine dude - well grounded humble hard working ethical etc.

That said I thought Ray Rice was a model. Speaking out on bullying and other elements of his persona made me think he was all those things.

Just hoping that Lamar truly is everything he seems to be.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

But then he said “they’re gonna get a super bowl out of me” and the seriousness with which he said it had me instantly sold - not that I needed selling lol

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
But then he said “they’re gonna get a super bowl out of me” and the seriousness with which he said it had me instantly sold - not that I needed selling lol
giphy.gif

Well I’m not sure why he’s gonna settle for “a” SB. I would have much rather heard 2 or 3. Lol. But to your point, at the end of the day no one cares about his wonderlic score if he continues to be a big part of winning games, especially playoff and SB games. Nothing I’ve seen so far indicates to me that he is not learning, or that he’s not capable of learning.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No he doesn't speak well, but I have to say he has gotten much better at it since that interview.
He’s spoken pretty well from the beginning. Laid back and genuine, but he’s been to the John harbaugh school of sportspeak and it shows lol. That interview though before the draft, he was clearly rattled and too excited to speak because he sounded different than any interview before or after that.
I’m trying to be careful to not assume more than I can know regarding a players character. Lamar seems like a genuine dude - well grounded humble hard working ethical etc.

That said I thought Ray Rice was a model. Speaking out on bullying and other elements of his persona made me think he was all those things.

Just hoping that Lamar truly is everything he seems to be.
Lamars character has me wondering how anyone could possibly dislike the kid or root for him to fail, he has the perfect blend of attitude, fire, humility, confidence, and swagger that a face of the franchise type of qb needs, and he does it with utmost class
that didn’t affect me because I still thought he sounded slow lol, I didn’t recognize that fire and seriousness until I saw his usual playful goofy side

Follow up on Tirico's interview

Love this ... I really like Tirico's statement about Lamar's lack of attention.

"Perhaps he is in lockstep with Baltimore. For whatever reason over the years the Ravens have been in the shadow of Pittsburgh within their own division, but certainly not the play. I don't know why national attention doesn't fall to the Ravens more often."

Nice to hear from someone other than the fan base make this claim. Tirico says he doesn't know why, but I can offer some reasons:
  • Pittsburgh has an illustrious history that has created a national fan base. They are widely loved, not only among the general population, but by those who cover sport. We are their rival so they are loathe to give us credit where credit is due and show us in the media in a good light.
  • The Ravens have a good track record, but their history is short. The city of Baltimore has a long history, but that history has been stolen. As the NFL does its 100 ... all the games we watch we see the black and white photos of the legends. We will not see that on Sunday night when we play New England because those great players belong neither to us, nor to Indianapolis. They are lost in history. Its criminal.
  • The Ravens are a "stolen" team. Poor Cleveland. They get to keep their logo, history as are instantly handed a new franchise, but despite what I said in the bullet above, we're the bad guy
  • Ray Lewis. The stain of his scandal lasts. I know NFL fans who hated him and branded him a murderer, never mind that he wasn't.
  • Defense is our focus and we never had a consistent offense nor have we had the golden boy QB. We are hard hitting and bully the opposition, so our team is deemed to be thugs. We win a lot, but our wins are often "ugly"
Will Lamar change some of those things? It is possible. Offense is sexier than defense ... and our offense has not exactly been "must see TV", but that could be changing. Its going to take time for people to buy in ... as well it should. People buy in on sports figures way before they've proven themselves.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Love this ... I really like Tirico's statement about Lamar's lack of attention.

"Perhaps he is in lockstep with Baltimore. For whatever reason over the years the Ravens have been in the shadow of Pittsburgh within their own division, but certainly not the play. I don't know why national attention doesn't fall to the Ravens more often."

Nice to hear from someone other than the fan base make this claim. Tirico says he doesn't know why, but I can offer some reasons:
  • Pittsburgh has an illustrious history that has created a national fan base. They are widely loved, not only among the general population, but by those who cover sport. We are their rival so they are loathe to give us credit where credit is due and show us in the media in a good light.
  • The Ravens have a good track record, but their history is short. The city of Baltimore has a long history, but that history has been stolen. As the NFL does its 100 ... all the games we watch we see the black and white photos of the legends. We will not see that on Sunday night when we play New England because those great players belong neither to us, nor to Indianapolis. They are lost in history. Its criminal.
  • The Ravens are a "stolen" team. Poor Cleveland. They get to keep their logo, history as are instantly handed a new franchise, but despite what I said in the bullet above, we're the bad guy
  • Ray Lewis. The stain of his scandal lasts. I know NFL fans who hated him and branded him a murderer, never mind that he wasn't.
  • Defense is our focus and we never had a consistent offense nor have we had the golden boy QB. We are hard hitting and bully the opposition, so our team is deemed to be thugs. We win a lot, but our wins are often "ugly"
Will Lamar change some of those things? It is possible. Offense is sexier than defense ... and our offense has not exactly been "must see TV", but that could be changing. Its going to take time for people to buy in ... as well it should. People buy in on sports figures way before they've proven themselves.
And I like it this way, as long as Lamar gets attention he deserves.

What would be even better, and I don't know if that's possible due to cap restrictions, is we keep progressing on attack but again build a D that's more exciting than Lamar's offense.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Belichick going on about the pistol. Interesting he notes that the running back isn’t much of a passing threat out of the gun.
EIUe-HkXsAAJC3c

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Belichick going on about the pistol. Interesting he notes that the running back isn’t much of a passing threat out of the gun.
EIUe-HkXsAAJC3c
I learned this about the pistol back when RG3 was drafted and Kyle Shanahan instituted this offense for him back in 2012. It's definitely a huge advantage.