• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
doesnt he have like 2 special teams TDs off blocks???
he also has a fair few plays making plays on the ball at the 1 yard line on punts and forcing fair catches by drawing double teams as a gunner

it's not flashy but he was very good at it

it'll be interesting to see what we do with duvernay because last year he looked like our best gunner as well as returner - will we risk him as much as a gunner if he's both our kick and punt returner and potentially also playing on offence too?

it'll also be interesting to see who wins those gunner spots because moore's gone, duvernay's still here but dorsey's unlikely to make the roster, boykin's right on the bubble too, i wonder if averett goes back to that gunner spot now that he's CB 4/5 again...

of course it's possible that wade or stephens as incoming rookies can take on that role and earn themselves a gameday active spot in a crowded DB room too
Moore also played as rusher on punt coverage and I believe he blocked one against the steelers. But I'm not dure if he was really that good though because harbs isn't going to let you go if you're a st ace like Levine

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Moore also played as rusher on punt coverage and I believe he blocked one against the steelers. But I'm not dure if he was really that good though because harbs isn't going to let you go if you're a st ace like Levine
I think if Levine was a WR, he would've been pushed out by now too.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think it helped that he started last year injured which gave some other guys the ability to win snaps in that role and a lot of them did really well and i think it made moving on from him a lot easier

and pretty soon i think we're gonna see co cap gone too - could be even this year potentially if some of the young guys step up on special teams

there's a major opportunity for some guys to become that next special teams stalwart just like mclellan and levine
chris board feels like the most likely guy but kristian welch seems to be someone they like on special teams (deshon elliott could have been that guy if he didnt win a starting S spot lol)

it's possible that jordan richards sticks around and becomes that guy but idk

alternatively it could be khalil dorsey or one of the rookie DBs or even Tylan

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
doesnt he have like 2 special teams TDs off blocks???
he also has a fair few plays making plays on the ball at the 1 yard line on punts and forcing fair catches by drawing double teams as a gunner

it's not flashy but he was very good at it

it'll be interesting to see what we do with duvernay because last year he looked like our best gunner as well as returner - will we risk him as much as a gunner if he's both our kick and punt returner and potentially also playing on offence too?

it'll also be interesting to see who wins those gunner spots because moore's gone, duvernay's still here but dorsey's unlikely to make the roster, boykin's right on the bubble too, i wonder if averett goes back to that gunner spot now that he's CB 4/5 again...

of course it's possible that wade or stephens as incoming rookies can take on that role and earn themselves a gameday active spot in a crowded DB room too
Tylan Wallace may be a good option at punt returns too if Proche doesn't make the cut.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
figuring out lamar contract gotta be one of the hardest resigning ever lol..
My sense is he's going to get a really long term contract that goes well beyond the current CBA but will be rich, almost as rich as Mahomes is. Going past the CBA helps the Ravens because when the new CBA is signed QB salaries will sky rocket into the stratosphere where Mahomes and Jackson contracts will be heralded as cheap. Just my thoughts on this.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
My sense is he's going to get a really long term contract that goes well beyond the current CBA but will be rich, almost as rich as Mahomes is. Going past the CBA helps the Ravens because when the new CBA is signed QB salaries will sky rocket into the stratosphere where Mahomes and Jackson contracts will be heralded as cheap. Just my thoughts on this.

Certainly hope it’s not that expensive for that long. He needs to become better at outside passes before he starts losing any athleticism, otherwise we are in trouble and at that point have a game manager on our hands

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Certainly hope it’s not that expensive for that long. He needs to become better at outside passes before he starts losing any athleticism, otherwise we are in trouble and at that point have a game manager on our hands

Overall improvement in passing. He still has a ways to go. I think he can and eventually will get there , but people are so defensive they seems to ignore his struggles throwing the ball as well as a top 5 Qb should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Overall improvement in passing. He still has a ways to go. I think he can and eventually will get there , but people are so defensive they seems to ignore his struggles throwing the ball as well as a top 5 Qb should.

Thank you. No way you give him a 10 year contract. He starts losing his speed/agility and we’re looking at a mediocre QB unless his passing gets better

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Generally speaking... its kind of irrelevant.
A ten year contract would really be like a five year contract, because no NFL team is going to guarantee a player 10 years. Mahomes deal has over $300M of non-guaranteed money in it. It can simply be erased at largely any point the Chiefs choose.

Generally speaking, the reason these types of contracts are so rare is because they're bad for the player, not for the team. Teams would give out 20 year contracts all day long to stud players, since they don't have to guarantee anywhere close to all of it. A 20 year contract could easily become a 5 year contract with no additional cash outlays for the team or major cap impact.

Players won't do it because of the very reason you suggested. They're voluntarily passing on free agency, and accepting market value today that may not be true market value 5-10 years from now. Players have very little incentive to take these deals.

As for why Mahomes did his deal, well realistically, it's because it was so wildly above what anybody else makes that he's not likely to really ever feel "cheated" by it. Starting in 2022, he'll effectively make at least $30M in cash (in some cases $40-60M) every year for the next decade. There really isn't a "bump" in revenue or salary cap that will equate to that being a "value" anytime soon. Even on a $300M salary cap (which it'll be many years before we get to that point, if we do at all), making $40M isn't a "bargain". You're still talking about taking up like 12-15% of your teams overall cap space.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Generally speaking... its kind of irrelevant.
A ten year contract would really be like a five year contract, because no NFL team is going to guarantee a player 10 years. Mahomes deal has over $300M of non-guaranteed money in it. It can simply be erased at largely any point the Chiefs choose.

Generally speaking, the reason these types of contracts are so rare is because they're bad for the player, not for the team. Teams would give out 20 year contracts all day long to stud players, since they don't have to guarantee anywhere close to all of it. A 20 year contract could easily become a 5 year contract with no additional cash outlays for the team or major cap impact.

Players won't do it because of the very reason you suggested. They're voluntarily passing on free agency, and accepting market value today that may not be true market value 5-10 years from now. Players have very little incentive to take these deals.

As for why Mahomes did his deal, well realistically, it's because it was so wildly above what anybody else makes that he's not likely to really ever feel "cheated" by it. Starting in 2022, he'll effectively make at least $30M in cash (in some cases $40-60M) every year for the next decade. There really isn't a "bump" in revenue or salary cap that will equate to that being a "value" anytime soon. Even on a $300M salary cap (which it'll be many years before we get to that point, if we do at all), making $40M isn't a "bargain". You're still talking about taking up like 12-15% of your teams overall cap space.
I really don't understand how my post and what I said contradicts anything you say in your response. Sure, the team may be able to invalidate it after the first 5 yrs, but if the play of said QB continues to be stellar, they make out like bandits no?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now, you are totally out of line my dear friend. Lamar can make every throw Mahomes can make and can do so much more with a football in hand. Give him the right play caller and then see magic on display.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really don't understand how my post and what I said contradicts anything you say in your response. Sure, the team may be able to invalidate it after the first 5 yrs, but if the play of said QB continues to be stellar, they make out like bandits no?
Not really. If you're signing a contract that big, what kind of discount do you think you're getting?

Like if you're signing a deal in the scope of Mahomes, and Lamar is making $40M in 2026, are you gonna feel like that's a bargain? That's not a bargain on a $300M salary cap. And I don't think it will be a $300M salary cap in 5 years.

So what kind of a "bandit" are you making out? If you convince him to take a 10 year contract at like $20M per season, sure, that's a steal. But he'll never take it, so its moot.

One could argue that you essentially have to overpay the player in order to get him to agree to take a deal of that length. If I were Lamar, and you came to me with a contract that looked like Mahomes, I'm probably asking for MORE than Mahomes. I'm a riskier player, both short and long term, to Mahomes. And because of that, I want more guaranteed money in the short term.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Now, you are totally out of line my dear friend. Lamar can make every throw Mahomes can make and can do so much more with a football in hand. Give him the right play caller and then see magic on display.

Uh, what? Lol... Lamar is great but absolutely no damn way can he make all the throws, at least not the same throws Mahomes makes.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Uh, what? Lol... Lamar is great but absolutely no damn way can he make all the throws, at least not the same throws Mahomes makes.
You just don't know Lamar my friend. Just wait and watch and don't be swayed by all the dropped passes and a couple of errant throws. Go back to his college tape and he consistently throws outside and in a very impressive way too. Just wait and watch this year, he'll match the throwing prowess "hype" of Mahomes and still be Lamar Jackson, the most gifted and talented football player of the last 30 yrs!

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
You just don't know Lamar my friend. Just wait and watch and don't be swayed by all the dropped passes and a couple of errant throws. Go back to his college tape and he consistently throws outside and in a very impressive way too. Just wait and watch this year, he'll match the throwing prowess "hype" of Mahomes and still be Lamar Jackson, the most gifted and talented football player of the last 30 yrs!

LOL...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Uh .. what . That’s the first I’ve heard anyone label what Mahomes does as “hype”..... put down the purple cool aid my friend