• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Okay everybody, whether he spoke on it or not, we pretty much know he got vaccinated. So can we please just shut the fuck up about it…

as long as he got vaccinated im not gonna rag on it anymore - there's legit no reason to talk to him about it beyond that because he's made it clear via his hesitancy that he's not gonna advocate for it so why bug him now that he's probably taken it

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The mere presence of Lamar Jackson has exposed so many analysts, mfs have reached so far to deny him his due respect that they are just vomiting out easily disproven bullshit left and right.

In my view, Lamar doesn't fit the NFL "powers that be" mold of an NFL QB.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Who did LJ work with in the off season? His mechanics and ball flight have improved tremendously.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who did LJ work with in the off season? His mechanics and ball flight have improved tremendously.

Yeah. It’s too bad he probably won’t be able to showcase that this year, especially with an improved WR corps, simply because our OL (AV, I’m talking to you) is complete ass

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'm getting pretty tired of Reddit and I need my Ravens flock that has good takes again.

I'm pretty impressed with what Lamar did for the most part. I think a few throws got away from him, and he seemed highly flustered and frustrated, but overall, when the team even remotely held up around him, I think he had a pretty good game. But more importantly, Lamar showed marked improvement in his touch, accuracy, and his patience to feel pressure and navigate the pocket.

On the plays where Lamar didn't have a player in his lap immediately and was able to get into a rhythm, you could see the mechanics coming together and the mind working better. He also had a damn tight spiral, something people rag on him for way too much.

I don't know what the answer is at RT, but assuming Stanley gets back to his old level, or even remotely close, and the interior figures out how to handle the loss of Phillips, I think Lamar will have his strongest season yet as a passer.

I really liked that the Ravens put him under center to start the game. It's something the Ravens rarely did until yesterday and I'm sure it's something Lamar really wanted to work on because it gives you a more "heads up" view of the play as it unfolds. I think that'll be greatly beneficial to Lamar.

One thing I will say- people knock on Lamar so much for being this scramble happy QB and that's just simply not true. I am continually frustrated when Lamar has large amounts of open room in front of him, but he keeps his eyes down the field for the throw. If it were Joe Flacco, I'd be like, "Okay, yeah, that's awesome- look for that pass." But Lamar is a special runner and open field like that probably nets you as much as the pass would, so just take what the defense is giving you. He seems so set on breaking the rUnNiNg BaCk narrative that he's missing the opportunities to scramble.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm getting pretty tired of Reddit and I need my Ravens flock that has good takes again.

I'm pretty impressed with what Lamar did for the most part. I think a few throws got away from him, and he seemed highly flustered and frustrated, but overall, when the team even remotely held up around him, I think he had a pretty good game. But more importantly, Lamar showed marked improvement in his touch, accuracy, and his patience to feel pressure and navigate the pocket.

On the plays where Lamar didn't have a player in his lap immediately and was able to get into a rhythm, you could see the mechanics coming together and the mind working better. He also had a damn tight spiral, something people rag on him for way too much.

I don't know what the answer is at RT, but assuming Stanley gets back to his old level, or even remotely close, and the interior figures out how to handle the loss of Phillips, I think Lamar will have his strongest season yet as a passer.

I really liked that the Ravens put him under center to start the game. It's something the Ravens rarely did until yesterday and I'm sure it's something Lamar really wanted to work on because it gives you a more "heads up" view of the play as it unfolds. I think that'll be greatly beneficial to Lamar.

One thing I will say- people knock on Lamar so much for being this scramble happy QB and that's just simply not true. I am continually frustrated when Lamar has large amounts of open room in front of him, but he keeps his eyes down the field for the throw. If it were Joe Flacco, I'd be like, "Okay, yeah, that's awesome- look for that pass." But Lamar is a special runner and open field like that probably nets you as much as the pass would, so just take what the defense is giving you. He seems so set on breaking the rUnNiNg BaCk narrative that he's missing the opportunities to scramble.

100% - as i start going through the coaches film im seeing a few too many clips where yes the pocket is collapsing but lamar's double-clutching and not seeing the open guy who he could hit if he didnt take an extra hitch (window closes and pressure closes)

but he'll see that in the film study they do and won't be happy about those missed reads

im not that worried especially given the way he started the game - but the 2nd half was ugly outside of like 1 or 2 drives

but he looks even more accurate than he has in the past when he gets that room to throw and unload

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
100% - as i start going through the coaches film im seeing a few too many clips where yes the pocket is collapsing but lamar's double-clutching and not seeing the open guy who he could hit if he didnt take an extra hitch (window closes and pressure closes)

but he'll see that in the film study they do and won't be happy about those missed reads

im not that worried especially given the way he started the game - but the 2nd half was ugly outside of like 1 or 2 drives

but he looks even more accurate than he has in the past when he gets that room to throw and unload
He was extremely hesitant in the third quarter, lots of double clutching and second guessing and even worse, he would go through with the pass after double clutching, recipe for disaster.

he was extremely rattled for most of the second half. Didn’t look his usual self which is full go

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was extremely hesitant in the third quarter, lots of double clutching and second guessing and even worse, he would go through with the pass after double clutching, recipe for disaster.

he was extremely rattled for most of the second half. Didn’t look his usual self which is full go

tbf some of the late throws were happening earlier in the game too but clearly werent having that major of an impact because he started the game something like 11/14 for 120+ and a TD - but yeah it all compounded later on

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbf some of the late throws were happening earlier in the game too but clearly werent having that major of an impact because he started the game something like 11/14 for 120+ and a TD - but yeah it all compounded later on
I felt like I was seeing pump fakes early on and later it felt more like hesitating and pulling back

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I felt like I was seeing pump fakes early on and later it felt more like hesitating and pulling back

The pump fakes and hesitation were even more frustrating when he looked like he had lanes to run. Lots of awkward throws as well(mainly because the pocket was always collapsing), but his mechanics were pretty terrible in the 2nd half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
The pump fakes and hesitation were even more frustrating when he looked like he had lanes to run. Lots of awkward throws as well(mainly because the pocket was always collapsing), but his mechanics were pretty terrible in the 2nd half.

I think one of the issues is that he wants to and feels he needs to prove everyone in the media wrong about him not being a good passer. He just needs to take what he’s given and say F the haters. I see too many times yards left on the field because he doesn’t want to take off with it

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think one of the issues is that he wants to and feels he needs to prove everyone in the media wrong about him not being a good passer. He just needs to take what he’s given and say F the haters. I see too many times yards left on the field because he doesn’t want to take off with it

I cant smash the AGREE button hard enough!

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yeah, there's plenty of times where it would be an easy first down, if not more, if he just took off with it. I can appreciate that he wants to show them how good of a passer he really is, but he should just be himself and not have to force it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think its a combination of a lot of things. I think Lamar of course realizes that his long term health in this league is dependent, to a certain extent, about how many hits he takes. I have no doubt that Lamar could probably get 100-150 rushing yards in every single football game he plays, unless the defense sells out to stop it. And I have no doubt that if he's carrying the ball 15 times a game, he will end up with a significant injury every few years that will knock him out of games for a long period of time. Would be the same expectation I would have for RBs at that point.

Plus, the yardage aspect shrinks as you get into the red zone or close to it. It's so much harder to throw the ball in a compressed field, when everybody is within 15-20 yards of the ball or closer. So teams can be somewhat content with Lamar getting a 8-10 yard run routinely around mid field, because those runs will become exponentially more difficult in the red zone, and it'll force Lamar to throw.

I think there's a lot of factors at play here. I think Lamar MIGHT care about what the media says about him throwing, but at the end of the day, I guarantee Greg Roman doesn't care one bit, and he's the one calling pretty much all of the plays.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think its a combination of a lot of things. I think Lamar of course realizes that his long term health in this league is dependent, to a certain extent, about how many hits he takes. I have no doubt that Lamar could probably get 100-150 rushing yards in every single football game he plays, unless the defense sells out to stop it. And I have no doubt that if he's carrying the ball 15 times a game, he will end up with a significant injury every few years that will knock him out of games for a long period of time. Would be the same expectation I would have for RBs at that point.

Plus, the yardage aspect shrinks as you get into the red zone or close to it. It's so much harder to throw the ball in a compressed field, when everybody is within 15-20 yards of the ball or closer. So teams can be somewhat content with Lamar getting a 8-10 yard run routinely around mid field, because those runs will become exponentially more difficult in the red zone, and it'll force Lamar to throw.

I think there's a lot of factors at play here. I think Lamar MIGHT care about what the media says about him throwing, but at the end of the day, I guarantee Greg Roman doesn't care one bit, and he's the one calling pretty much all of the plays.

Roman may call the shots, but Lamar makes his own decisions. Not like Roman is playing Madden out there

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Roman may call the shots, but Lamar makes his own decisions. Not like Roman is playing Madden out there
Sure, but if your OC is calling plays and you're frequently ignoring those plays and just running all around the field on your own like its a Madden game, he won't be quarterbacking long. A lot of coaches, including Harbs, would simply bench a guy for doing that, regardless of talent.

It's OK to do it from time to time and as the play breaks down, but like Lamar can probably get 4-5 yards rushing or more on 80-90% of plays, because defenses will gladly give that up all day long, because it makes it extremely difficult for the Ravens to score TDs.

There's a balance.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

100% agree. The whole “ not bad for a running back” mindset weighs heavy on him I believe.

Tank

Hall of Famer
TBF up until this year he hasn't been a very good passer. If he continues passing the way he did first half Monday night all that talk will stop.

Last edited: