• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, the presser gave me hope that they will get a deal done with Lamar. Make it happen fellas (Lamar & EDC). What shocked me was that they said that they will involve Lamar in the search for an O.C. I've said this a few times and it bears reiterating, Lamar ran a "pro-style" offense in Louisville under Petrino. He shined and thrived in that system. He ran and threw that rock and achieved a Heisman as a result of it. Hell! Louisville retired his #8 jersey. We've often wondered; "Why does Roman spread out the receivers for Huntley but not for Lamar?" Roman's system, while great for the running game limited Lamar in many ways. Now that he is out; let's get Lamar the offense that he is used to running to take advantage of his talent. He agrees:

Roman's system was a pro-style offence

and just spreading the field doesn't inherently make something pro-style - in fact we ran less of a pro-style offence with Huntley even though we spread out the receivers

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Roman's system was a pro-style offence

and just spreading the field doesn't inherently make something pro-style - in fact we ran less of a pro-style offence with Huntley even though we spread out the receivers
Yeah I mean the most “college” offense out there is the spread. Huntley reads either one side of the field or he pushes it to andrews or dumps off. Lamar is reading the leverage pre snap, scanning the safeties post snap to gauge their depth, and then he begins going through progressions, which often begin with a deep/intermediate read that Lamar has to determine right at the snap will or won’t be open most of the time.

I just wanna see an offense that is based around 12 personnel. Likely needs to improve his blocking game, then we can roll with 12 personnel which we can run and pass from, to manipulate defensive alignment we just move our TEs in or out, to manipulate defensive personnel we swap likely for a slot receiver and get an extra db out there and can still run thanks to the spacing.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I mean the most “college” offense out there is the spread. Huntley reads either one side of the field or he pushes it to andrews or dumps off. Lamar is reading the leverage pre snap, scanning the safeties post snap to gauge their depth, and then he begins going through progressions, which often begin with a deep/intermediate read that Lamar has to determine right at the snap will or won’t be open most of the time.

I just wanna see an offense that is based around 12 personnel. Likely needs to improve his blocking game, then we can roll with 12 personnel which we can run and pass from, to manipulate defensive alignment we just move our TEs in or out, to manipulate defensive personnel we swap likely for a slot receiver and get an extra db out there and can still run thanks to the spacing.
We need to use Likely as a WR

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
no, this won't work. He has his advantage as a tight end. Once you start playing him against better cornerbacks he loses his advantage.

I expect Likely to have a big leap in year two and wouldn't be surprised to see Kolar have a decent year also. That being said, truly depends on what offensive coordinator we sign in the offseason.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Disagree, but also think it’s more semantics than anything. Likely is likely gonna take the bulk of his snaps out of the slot, but he doesn’t have that gas to pull away from corners on the boundary. Out of the slot he can absolutely abuse LBs and nickel backs and safeties. The subtle moves a TE uses to gain separation just rarely works when you gotta get the ball from center field out to the boundary, that’s why WIDE receivers and TEs aren’t just interchangeable

Simba

Staff Member
Was surprised to hear Jeff say he doesn't feel any more confident in Lamar still being here coming out of yesterday's presser. Didn't go as far as to say it was all lip service or straight up lies, but also said proceed with a grain of salt because they said what needed to be said. Felt that there were some hidden messages in there saying Lamar needs to step up to the plate, all while praising him and trying to get him back to the table. A lot of his concerns fall under the financial umbrella and feeling that they're just not on the same page money wise. While I get his sentiment, it's still a really tough sell to me that they'll come out there and be that enthusiastic about Lamar, and then turn around and trade him. Just feels like a fucking ballsy move to reignite hopes like that.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Was surprised to hear Jeff say he doesn't feel any more confident in Lamar still being here coming out of yesterday's presser. Didn't go as far as to say it was all lip service or straight up lies, but also said proceed with a grain of salt because they said what needed to be said. Felt that there were some hidden messages in there saying Lamar needs to step up to the plate, all while praising him and trying to get him back to the table. A lot of his concerns fall under the financial umbrella and feeling that they're just not on the same page money wise. While I get his sentiment, it's still a really tough sell to me that they'll come out there and be that enthusiastic about Lamar, and then turn around and trade him. Just feels like a fucking ballsy move to reignite hopes like that.
Look I 100% agree with you. I'm just going to play contrarian for sake of discussion even though I don't really believe this. What if they know they're so far off in terms of money that they know right now they need to trade him.

So what they need to do is 2 things. Not make themselves look desperate and decrease the trade value AND not destroy their reputation by making it look like they didn't try to sign him. Like this could all be a way of making the Ravens look like they live their guys so when they trade him they can say he just didn't play ball there's nothing else we could've done.

Makes Lamar that bad guy.

Simba

Staff Member
Look I 100% agree with you. I'm just going to play contrarian for sake of discussion even though I don't really believe this. What if they know they're so far off in terms of money that they know right now they need to trade him.

So what they need to do is 2 things. Not make themselves look desperate and decrease the trade value AND not destroy their reputation by making it look like they didn't try to sign him. Like this could all be a way of making the Ravens look like they live their guys so when they trade him they can say he just didn't play ball there's nothing else we could've done.

I don’t disagree with that sentiment either. Just a really tough stance to take with everything that was said yesterday if you know you’re going to move on. Thinking of this from a business perspective and how much that alienates the fan base if that is the end result. Always was going to be some fan disappearance if Lamar goes, but that’s a shot at the loyal fans too.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
There’s no bad guy either way, it’s just business. But it sure looks like Lamar is the problem with bridging the gap. The Ravens aren’t going to do anything to tarnish a players reputation , that’s not their style. it’s legitimately just Lamar sticking to his original number.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
no, this won't work. He has his advantage as a tight end. Once you start playing him against better cornerbacks he loses his advantage.

I expect Likely to have a big leap in year two and wouldn't be surprised to see Kolar have a decent year also. That being said, truly depends on what offensive coordinator we sign in the offseason.
You're right. The thing is that he still is better than Proche and Wallace.:(

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
There’s no bad guy either way, it’s just business. But it sure looks like Lamar is the problem with bridging the gap. The Ravens aren’t going to do anything to tarnish a players reputation , that’s not their style. it’s legitimately just Lamar sticking to his original number.
We're ultimately saying the same thing.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You're right. The thing is that he still is better than Proche and Wallace.:(
as a tight end he is, but remember it's not like Proche and Wallace had a ton of chances. I haven't given up all hope on Wallace yet, but he was a 4th round pick in a draft that was known league wide as being very bad.

We atleast were able to trade our 5th rounder for a future 5th rounder (2023 5th from the Patriots). I believe we also received our 7th rounder from last year from them, which was flipped into an earlier pick.