• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well a) I think we're only shopping in the mid or lower tiers of FAs anyway, which means a lot of these guys don't have the ability to be choosers, and b) I suspect most of our receiving upgrades will come from the draft, which means the player doesn't really get to decide whether they want to be here or not.
Likely true. But if we traded Lamar maybe not. But again, overwhelmingly likely to be true

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Been saying for a little while that FAs might be really turned off to the organization based on their PERCEPTION of how the Ravens are handling Lamar. Their perception does not even have to be right, but it can start to taint our image. WRs on the team were already begging to leave. I'm sure others as FAs knew not to come. If the FO gets a negative perception as being cheap and not valuing it's players that would be bad
Not really worried about perception. They've paid plenty of other players (Roquan, Marlon, Stanley, etc.). It just means they won't pay everybody.

I do think FA WRs realize that they wouldn't be productive in a Ravens offense led by Roman, but that could be changing.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Likely true. But if we traded Lamar maybe not. But again, overwhelmingly likely to be true
I mean if we trade Lamar before the draft, we can do literally anything we want from a roster construction standpoint.

The problem is most of the quality players will have long since signed elsewhere.

Make no mistake... 2023 is probably a throwaway year if we trade Lamar before the season. Like best cases are you manage to do it before the draft and nab a high-end rookie, or you get a fairly cheap veteran (like a Jimmy G level). I don't see that roster being overly competitive in the AFC as such.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I mean if we trade Lamar before the draft, we can do literally anything we want from a roster construction standpoint.

The problem is most of the quality players will have long since signed elsewhere.

Make no mistake... 2023 is probably a throwaway year if we trade Lamar before the season. Like best cases are you manage to do it before the draft and nab a high-end rookie, or you get a fairly cheap veteran (like a Jimmy G level). I don't see that roster being overly competitive in the AFC as such.
Still agree here. All I'm saying is if you go multiple years with people leaving our organization saying they are either fundamentally flawed / don't pay their guys it will start to create a bad perceived culture for the Ravens.

I think the biggest counters to this fear are one, as you've said, we've paid other guys and 2 Roman is out of there. If there's anything meaningful at the WR position next year that issue can go away too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Been saying for a little while that FAs might be really turned off to the organization based on their PERCEPTION of how the Ravens are handling Lamar. Their perception does not even have to be right, but it can start to taint our image. WRs on the team were already begging to leave. I'm sure others as FAs knew not to come. If the FO gets a negative perception as being cheap and not valuing it's players that would be bad

except i dont think they actually have that reputation
people are obviously interested in lamar

but we've given huge deals to guys at a decent number of positions - all the below deals are since 2019

LT - Ronnie Stanley
CB - Marlon Humphrey (and Marcus Peters too)
TE - Mark Andrews
S - Marcus Williams (and Earl Thomas before that)
LB - Roquan Smith

and that doesnt include these smaller but market topping deals:
Blocking TE - Nick Boyle
Fullback - Pat Ricard
Kicker - Justin Tucker

there's no way that players or agents think we're cheap just because we havent paid lamar yet

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Attachments

• F539C9A3-6C87-4478-B1B3-8B3EBB233A94.jpeg
    F539C9A3-6C87-4478-B1B3-8B3EBB233A94.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 45

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
If ain't about Lamar Jackson contract then it's about John Harbaugh and if it's not about John Harbaugh then it's about Lamar Jackson and if it ain't about Lamar Jackson then it's back to John Harbaugh and it it aint about both then it's still about Lamar Jackson and John Harbaugh......

crazy-insane.gif

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
If ain't about Lamar Jackson contract then it's about John Harbaugh and if it's not about John Harbaugh then it's about Lamar Jackson and if it ain't about Lamar Jackson then it's back to John Harbaugh and it it aint about both then it's still about Lamar Jackson and John Harbaugh......

crazy-insane.gif

It’s actually the truth? Not sure how y’all aren’t getting it?

Michael M.

Pro Bowler

If Lamar plays under the tag in 2023 I think you"ll get the same results

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Lamar plays under the tag in 2023 I think you"ll get the same results
Entirely possible. I think in net we'll lose more players than we gain.

Of course I think if Lamar played a full season last year this team probably advances in the playoffs, so like even Lamar back with the same team as last year is easily a playoff team or better.

It's just a question of how much further can they go.