• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I agree with scheme and wrs but he missed some throws he had no business missing.
True, but so did Mahomes, only its significance wasn't so magnified because it was one of only 3 passes over 20yds for the week ,or whatever.
They all miss on a lot of deep passes.

Lamar isn't great on deep throws but he only needs to be average and I think better WRs will get him to that. It's not a coincidence that a lo of the top passers are throwing to great deep ball receivers.

Tank

Hall of Famer
True, but so did Mahomes, only its significance wasn't so magnified because it was one of only 3 passes over 20yds for the week ,or whatever.
They all miss on a lot of deep passes.

Lamar isn't great on deep throws but he only needs to be average and I think better WRs will get him to that. It's not a coincidence that a lo of the top passers are throwing to great deep ball receivers.
Hard to ignore the need for Lamar to improve as a passer, not only deep throws, but outside the numbers and check downs as well. I think he could be capable because he's shown flashes, but no consistency.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hard to ignore the need for Lamar to improve as a passer, not only deep throws, but outside the numbers and check downs as well. I think he could be capable because he's shown flashes, but no consistency.
Check downs weren’t even included in most play designs, Lamar’s legs were the check down. Easy outlet passes as well, routes the qb reads as hot at the line so they can take advantage of a pre snap look, these things are not really part of Roman’s passing designs, Roman foregoes all of the outlets the standard qb has for heavy alignments and pre snap motions and clock milking

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Check downs weren’t even included in most play designs, Lamar’s legs were the check down. Easy outlet passes as well, routes the qb reads as hot at the line so they can take advantage of a pre snap look, these things are not really part of Roman’s passing designs, Roman foregoes all of the outlets the standard qb has for heavy alignments and pre snap motions and clock milking
I’m a broken record but it was maddening to see flat routes wide open and Lamar ignore them (for reasons stated above)

Tank

Hall of Famer
When he did try to check down it seemed he's had issues with touch, floating it over the rusher.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Not saying you're wrong but Greg Roman comes from a west coast offense background. His offense did ask the receivers to run vertical routes more often then you would see from a traditional west coast offense but there definitely was times when Lamar would simply just ignore the check downs and It was frustrating at times to see him not take the check down option to a running back or simply throw a short pass to a receiver in the slot.

Not sure why he was so reluctant to do so and given that James Urban was his quarterback coach at the time and considering that Urban mentor was Andy Reid it's probably highly unlikely Lamar wasn't coached to throw the pass to the checkdown option. I don't think Greg Roman was perfect and I do think he could have been more creative in the passing game but Lamar Jackson throwing mechanics going from pretty good to sloppy at times did not do Roman any favors. After the 2019 season Lamar throwing mechanics started off red hot earlier in the season to cold as the season went on.

I don't think Lamar fully maximized Roman offense as a passer even though it's easy to say he didn't have the receivers or major creative passing concepts in his corner. It just seems like whatever Roman and Urban was coaching him on wasn't registering fully for some reason. I honestly think Lamar needed a no nonsense coordinator and a quarterback coach that would be a bit more harder on him and more willing to point out the importance of proper technique. I think Todd Monken and Tee Martin can be that for him and hopefully it helps.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Not saying you're wrong but Greg Roman comes from a west coast offense background. His offense did ask the receivers to run vertical routes more often then you would see from a traditional west coast offense but there definitely was times when Lamar would simply just ignore the check downs and It was frustrating at times to see him not take the check down option to a running back or simply throw a short pass to a receiver in the slot.

Not sure why he was so reluctant to do so and given that James Urban was his quarterback coach at the time and considering that Urban mentor was Andy Reid it's probably highly unlikely Lamar wasn't coached to throw the pass to the checkdown option. I don't think Greg Roman was perfect and I do think he could have been more creative in the passing game but Lamar Jackson throwing mechanics going from pretty good to sloppy at times did not do Roman any favors. After the 2019 season Lamar throwing mechanics started off red hot earlier in the season to cold as the season went on.

I don't think Lamar fully maximized Roman offense as a passer even though it's easy to say he didn't have the receivers or major creative passing concepts in his corner. It just seems like whatever Roman and Urban was coaching him on wasn't registering fully for some reason. I honestly think Lamar needed a no nonsense coordinator and a quarterback coach that would be a bit more harder on him and more willing to point out the importance of proper technique. I think Todd Monken and Tee Martin can be that for him and hopefully it helps.
Yeah,hopefully the change makes something click. Obviously the FO thinks it will happen.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
IMG_1995.jpeg

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Figure it out
Well you're the one that told me that NFL agents aren't that important. Wait until you realize how contract structures and slotting occurs in the NBA. Especially for star players.

Then you'll realize how truly irrelevant it is.

Lamar's mom was exponentially more valuable to Lamar getting a deal than Kyrie was to getting his. And she wasn't instrumental at all.
Imagine the credit this woman should get. 13 years and many agents later, she got the deal everybody knew he was getting last summer.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well you're the one that told me that NFL agents aren't that important. Wait until you realize how contract structures and slotting occurs in the NBA. Especially for star players.

Then you'll realize how truly irrelevant it is.

Lamar's mom was exponentially more valuable to Lamar getting a deal than Kyrie was to getting his. And she wasn't instrumental at all.
Imagine the credit this woman should get. 13 years and many agents later, she got the deal everybody knew he was getting last summer.
It dnt matter if she was valuable to his deal or not, her name is on it so that along will make her a little more valuable. Also, of she wasnt in instrumental in his deal at all, doesnt that mean that agents arent really that important as we think? i believe that if you need an agent, it maybe important but if you dnt, it literally doesnt matter at all which has been proven. Shit maybe lamar mom and kyrie mom will come together and start something. Anyway, im happy lamar and his mom did what they did.. wouldnt be surprised if it inspired kyrie and his mom and possibly alot more after this

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It dnt matter if she was valuable to his deal or not, her name is on it so that along will make her a little more valuable. Also, of she wasnt in instrumental in his deal at all, doesnt that mean that agents arent really that important as we think? i believe that if you need an agent, it maybe important but if you dnt, it literally doesnt matter at all which has been proven. Shit maybe lamar mom and kyrie mom will come together and start something. Anyway, im happy lamar and his mom did what they did.. wouldnt be surprised if it inspired kyrie and his mom and possibly alot more after this
Well, in the NBA, they're far less valuable. Especially for superstar players. The AAV and basically the $ is already set. Only question is player options vs team options, and the length of the deal. Which most star players can negotiate on their own.

There's a reason why Kyrie's mom hasn't negotiated the half dozen other contracts he's signed, and its not because he didn't trust her. It's because for high-end players in the NBA, a blind monkey can negotiate a contract, because there's literally caps and structures that slot in players to certain areas.

Really couldn't care less whether "her name is on it or not". Smart people know what's what.
When she starts her own agency and starts negotiating mid-and-low tier contracts for multiple players at once, then "putting her name on it" will be meaningful in the sports world.

For now, both situations are just for "optics". Everybody smart knows what it is and what it isn't.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well, in the NBA, they're far less valuable. Especially for superstar players. The AAV and basically the $ is already set. Only question is player options vs team options, and the length of the deal. Which most star players can negotiate on their own.

There's a reason why Kyrie's mom hasn't negotiated the half dozen other contracts he's signed, and its not because he didn't trust her. It's because for high-end players in the NBA, a blind monkey can negotiate a contract, because there's literally caps and structures that slot in players to certain areas.

Really couldn't care less whether "her name is on it or not". Smart people know what's what.
When she starts her own agency and starts negotiating mid-and-low tier contracts for multiple players at once, then "putting her name on it" will be meaningful in the sports world.

For now, both situations are just for "optics". Everybody smart knows what it is and what it isn't.
Everyone “ smart”also thought lamar needed a real agent lol. Mfs dnt know shit

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Everyone “ smart”also thought lamar needed a real agent lol. Mfs dnt know shit
Yeah, because he gets the same contract without having to make a fake trade demand.

Only these barbershop clowns out here thinking these women are out here tearing down glass ceilings of things they ain't got nothing to do with.

Funniest part to me is...Kyrie's deal kind of sucks. Like it ain't close to the max for that slot. Not a real good performance from a "momma agent" that Kyrie, would would have been one of the best, if not the best, FA to hit the market, couldn't even get a 3 year max deal. It's well below what the Mavs could have offered, and a good bit below max offers he could have gotten in FA.

But yeah, they out here being "revolutionary"... riiiiiiight...

Real homies know.