• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I mean lets call it what it really is... its mostly a "race thing".
If we were talking about Tom Brady being his own agent, nobody would be surprised or care.

With people like Lamar and Kyrie, its about a star black athlete trying to prove that he doesn't need a white guy (which is what most agents are) to negotiate for him, handle his contracts, etc.

It's a big deal in the black community. We champion stuff like that

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we were talking about Tom Brady being his own agent, nobody would be surprised or care.

With people like Lamar and Kyrie, its about a star black athlete trying to prove that he doesn't need a white guy (which is what most agents are) to negotiate for him, handle his contracts, etc.
Of course, that is what it is. As a black man in business for myself, I already knew that. The animosity and vitriol that they receive due to them not submitting themselves to the "good ole boy" system stink and stick out like a sore thumb. Great post!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Of course, that is what it is. As a black man in business for myself, I already knew that. The animosity and vitriol that they receive due to them not submitting themselves to the "good ole boy" system stink and stick out like a sore thumb. Great post!

Right, but that stereotype is largely driven by real life data points suggesting that they DO, in fact, need agents, guidance, etc. If there's such a large disparity in the league among players going broke after retirement, I think that's as strong an indication as anything of not being financially savvy enough to think they can navigate that alone.
But mostly, from the NFL's perspective, they just don't want to deal with players directly, because they're super fucking stubborn, oftentimes emotional, and work at a pace that doesn't benefit anybody but themselves.

Exact same reason if you ever went to buy a house, you'd rather deal with a buyers agent than the actual buyer. Actual buyer is going to be significantly more difficult to get through to.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm sure it is. The bigger deal should be... is that wealth becoming more generational? Or is it just a temporary holding until its wasted away?
Unfortunately, some waste it assuming that the money is going to flow forever. Then, there are quite a few black athletes who understand that their skills have opened up the door for them to change the lives of their families for generations to come that actually know how to manage, invest and make their financial portfolio work for them in the long run. Unfortunately, most in the black community are more consumed with buying the latest pair of $400 Jordans instead of learning how to invest in the stock market, obtain rental properties, buy land, etc.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right, but that stereotype is largely driven by real life data points suggesting that they DO, in fact, need agents, guidance, etc. If there's such a large disparity in the league among players going broke after retirement, I think that's as strong an indication as anything of not being financially savvy enough to think they can navigate that alone.
But mostly, from the NFL's perspective, they just don't want to deal with players directly, because they're super fucking stubborn, oftentimes emotional, and work at a pace that doesn't benefit anybody but themselves.

Exact same reason if you ever went to buy a house, you'd rather deal with a buyers agent than the actual buyer. Actual buyer is going to be significantly more difficult to get through to.
Great points all around.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I dnt think he was trying to prove he doesnt need a white guy cause if that was the case he couldve gotten a black agent..

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dnt think he was trying to prove he doesnt need a white guy cause if that was the case he couldve gotten a black agent..
no, he was trying to prove he doesn't need an agent. Which is why his "agent" is his mom, i.e. he doesn't have one.
But the overwhelming majority of NFL players are black, and the overwhelming majority of NFL agents are white.
Its not like people think players are all of the sudden more educated about the business of player contracts than they were decades ago. They aren't. Some would argue they've actually never been dumber. It's just they took a look around and realized that they're sending 3-5% out the door to predominantly white people. And they didn't like that.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Been to plenty before. Will never find an establishment on this planet with less educated people about sports than a Barbershop.

You can make generational wealth just by doing the exact opposite of what people say you should do in there.
I actually go to the barbershop every week and have been since i was able to drive and all you have to do is not talk. It kinda hard not butting in when people start talking about shit they made up outta thin air or when they speak on your team… but its possible. im usually the first to get in the chair so most of time im able to avoid the conspiracy theorist.. its still to funny and interesting to see why people think they way they do

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Been to plenty before. Will never find an establishment on this planet with less educated people about sports than a Barbershop.

You can make generational wealth just by doing the exact opposite of what people say you should do in there.
So true. I don’t know who I hate more - barbers or tattoo artists. Both talk way too fucking much and their egos are enormous

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
no, he was trying to prove he doesn't need an agent. Which is why his "agent" is his mom, i.e. he doesn't have one.
But the overwhelming majority of NFL players are black, and the overwhelming majority of NFL agents are white.
Its not like people think players are all of the sudden more educated about the business of player contracts than they were decades ago. They aren't. Some would argue they've actually never been dumber. It's just they took a look around and realized that they're sending 3-5% out the door to predominantly white people. And they didn't like that.
And, that was good on their part in my view. If you can keep that money in your family do it! The black community has always been more ready to line the pockets of other nationalities as opposed to lining our own. Again, kudos to cats like Lamar and Roquan. Hope to see more athletes (black, white, or any other nationality) following suit.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I actually go to the barbershop every week and have been since i was able to drive and all you have to do is not talk. It kinda hard not butting in when people start talking about shit they made up outta thin air or when they speak on your team… but its possible. im usually the first to get in the chair so most of time im able to avoid the conspiracy theorist.. its still to funny and interesting to see why people think they way they do
Well, I haven't been to a barbershop since '92. My wife learned to cut my hair and to shave and trim my beard so, again, I've been saving that money and keeping it in-house. However, she goes out and gets her hair and nails done every few weeks so, I guess that I am not keeping my money in-house like I thought. Lol! And, I absolutely loved the barbershop. Loved it! All of the wonderful and interesting conversations and the insane advice. But, I definitely miss the cracking of jokes on individuals in the barbershop. Those were the good ole days! Gone but not forgotten.
So true. I don’t know who I hate more - barbers or tattoo artists. Both talk way too fucking much and their egos are enormous
Man, "Is this the barbershop?" @ 1:34. Nothing is off-limits at the barbershop! :lol::cool:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, I haven't been to a barbershop since '92. My wife learned to cut my hair and to shave and trim my beard so, again, I've been saving that money and keeping it in-house. However, she goes out and gets her hair and nails done every few weeks so, I guess that I am not keeping my money in-house like I thought. Lol! And, I absolutely loved the barbershop. Loved it! All of the wonderful and interesting conversations and the insane advice. But, I definitely miss the cracking of jokes on individuals in the barbershop. Those were the good ole days! Gone but not forgotten.

Man, "Is this the barbershop?" @ 1:34. Nothing is off-limits at the barbershop! :lol::cool:

well this is my favorite barbershop

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Gone on and find you a barbershop and sit in that chair one time for the time.. do it for me and @rmcjacket23

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well I shave my own head so not only would that be a waste of time, it would also be a waste of $.
Barbershop would have you looking much nicer.. Your significant other will be very happy, especially if its been a while since youve had a nice clean cut.. shit you might even walk around smiling for no reason all day