• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let me simply respond by saying that in my mind, Lamar Jackson is wildly superior to every other QB in the league, Mahomes included. Mahomes' success was driven by several factors including playmakers at every level. If Lamar had the same weapons as any of these top 4-5 QBs, I'm convinced he'd be near unbeatable. If Mahomes got a 10 yr contract and accepted it gleefully and then got capped in the knee and missed a few games, Lamar is entirely capable of getting a 7 yr extension. He should too. He is such a transcendent talent that he'll rewrite history books if he gets the right weapons and protection as other QBs do. I'm not belaboring or arguing why I feel the way I do, but I'm not budging. I see absolute greatness and charisma in Jackson that no other football player possesses regardless of championship pedigree. That is why you do everything possible to enable him.

I say all this not because I'm a huge Lamar Jackson fan and his dad, but because he is simply that special and the only iteration of Michael Jordan this league has had the good fortune of having. He is a superstar that is must-see TV and no matter what people tune in to watch him, just like they did MJ all those years ago. That's it. I stick with 7 yrs 353.5M with 200M guaranteed.
OK yeah I don't view Lamar as anywhere near that kind of player and I certainly don't think the Ravens or others view him that way.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I say all this not because I'm a huge Lamar Jackson fan and his dad, but because he is simply that special and the only iteration of Michael Jordan this league has had the good fortune of having. He is a superstar that is must-see TV and no matter what people tune in to watch him, just like they did MJ all those years ago. That's it. I stick with 7 yrs 353.5M with 200M guaranteed.
Considering his lack of deal using his mom as an argent and his dad is now proposing 7 yr deal that is detreimental to Lamar maxing his value ….i think it’s time Lamar gets a real agent

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar's mom and dad have absolutely zero experience in working these things out. They need to drop their pride and Lamar needs a real agent if they care a lick about him

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why? Cause he's waiting? Seems to be working out better for him as more QBs sign their contracts

You tell me that the mom will know a single thing about contractual details and all that goes into the specifics and I'll tell you I have an oceanfront property down in Missouri

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You tell me that the mom will know a single thing about contractual details and all that goes into the specifics and I'll tell you I have an oceanfront property down in Missouri
no, his mom can't review his contract details, but I'm betting he is using a lawyer for that.

Does he need an agent. No, but I do believe it would be better for him to have an agent.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Other players have negotiated without an agent, Lamar will be fine with or without an agent

Not MVP players who have massive contracts pending. If you're for Lamar not getting the best kind of deal he can get, then ok

jboy19

Pro Bowler
no, his mom can't review his contract details, but I'm betting he is using a lawyer for that.

Does he need an agent. No, but I do believe it would be better for him to have an agent.

I've been wondering if he's being hurt by his inability to inquire about his value with other teams without tampering. I know agents can't technically either, but I think it's naive to think they don't have off the record conversations with other teams' FOs. I'd assume that that's how the value of any extension prior to the end of a rookie deal is determined. Florio is a tool and is biased towards agents, but he's probably right that Lamar's draft stock took a hit that it may not have with an agent.

It doesn't help that we don't know anything about what the negotiations have looked like - or what either side's hard lines are. They could be inches or miles apart and I'm pretty sure we'd see the same posturing from the FO and Lamar. Neither side really seems to have a ton of leverage over the other at the moment, and I'd bet it's going to take a lot of time to get a deal done.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've been wondering if he's being hurt by his inability to inquire about his value with other teams without tampering. I know agents can't technically either, but I think it's naive to think they don't have off the record conversations with other teams' FOs. I'd assume that that's how the value of any extension prior to the end of a rookie deal is determined. Florio is a tool and is biased towards agents, but he's probably right that Lamar's draft stock took a hit that it may not have with an agent.

It doesn't help that we don't know anything about what the negotiations have looked like - or what either side's hard lines are. They could be inches or miles apart and I'm pretty sure we'd see the same posturing from the FO and Lamar. Neither side really seems to have a ton of leverage over the other at the moment, and I'd bet it's going to take a lot of time to get a deal done.
I think Lamar has plenty of leverage over the front office.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I think Lamar has plenty of leverage over the front office.

I think the FO has leverage, but have their hands tied because they won't/shouldn't piss off Lamar. Lamar has "I made this team championship caliber and keep this team relevant any time I'm on the field" leverage, as well as "I know you need more cap flexibility" leverage. EDC hasn't been afraid to play hardball and walk away in the past (like with Bozeman), but there's a big difference between a scheme-dependent center and a MVP caliber QB.