• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Jags edition

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
KC, Niners, Eagles, Ravens

I count 4.
So, do you really believe that this Raven's offense can match scoring power with both the 8-3 Dolphins and the 8-3 Bills that you failed to mention? Asking for a friend. lol!

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I gotta tell you, that’s a very concerning thing to hear from a police officer, considering you had a license to kill for your entire career, the means to do so at any given moment, and being a cop you’re gonna be the target of a lot of insults. If you respond violently to insults then you should not be in law enforcement.

Don’t think of it as defending your honor, you were fooled into believing that, you’re being controlled by your pride and ego. You feel the need to defend your honor against a likely lesser individual who’s insulting you to lift themselves, that’s not honorable, it’s foolish.

Folks take themselves so serious.. Life is stupid, we’re on a rock on the edge of the Milky Way flying through space, we’re all carbon based life making up the same ecosystem on earth, we’re all from the dirt and we all return to the same dirt. Take yourself down a few notches bro, it’s liberating.
Dude? I don’t let people push me around but I am not psycho. I am not going to kill anyone. I enforce laws on the books. Those laws often work in my favor. That was always good for me. Besides, I am a lot more mellow than I used to be.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Dude? I don’t let people push me around but I am not psycho. I am not going to kill anyone. I enforce laws on the books. Those laws often work in my favor. That was always good for me. Besides, I am a lot more mellow than I used to be.
A lot more mellow than when you were a cop?

And what laws are in the books that allow you to defend your pride when a random citizen insults you?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So, do you really believe that this Raven's offense can match scoring power with both the 8-3 Dolphins and the 8-3 Bills that you failed to mention? Asking for a friend. lol!
With Hamilton, Williams and Ojabo our D will be tough. Won't need to score much.
If Stanley can get back and we're healthy in the backfield, we are still the problem.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
With Hamilton, Williams and Ojabo our D will be tough. Won't need to score much.
If Stanley can get back and we're healthy in the backfield, we are still the problem.
Good point about Hamilton and Williams. But Stanley? That cat can't stay on the field so I don't factor him in at all.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
You sure its Harbaugh's culture? Or the GM's culture? Or the Owners culture? Who do you think is driving the organizations culture towards talent identification, prioritizing positional values, etc.?

The problem with this debate about coaching or players is that it can't be resolved without action. So what does one do?

Well, you can release everyone who continually drops balls, gets stupid penalties called on them, throws errant passes, PI penalties, etc, etc... and try to sign and draft guys who do it better, but that's a whole team rebuild - - - and that is not feasible.

Or you fire the guys behind the scenes who "seem" to be enabling this kind of play rather than coaching them to get better; because this isn't anything new in 3 seasons.

Which do you think needs to occur first? You've invested an entire organization in scouting and behind the scenes activities to get great players in drafts and been heralded around the league as a premier organization. So option three, fire the FO.

hahahahaha. The decision is easy. You fire coaches because they are easiest to replace and if they are unable to improve where players have demonstrated weaknesses you can begin to believe it's the player or you can just go and find another adjunct coach to coach up on weaknesses.

It's a chicken or egg conundrum. I choose to blame coaches and have seen too many times in my many years of watching all kinds of sports that often the simple change of saying thank you to a guy who did well, but we need to go in a different direction is enough - often enough- to turn a franchise around or get to the next level.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
A lot more mellow than when you were a cop?

And what laws are in the books that allow you to defend your pride when a random citizen insults you?
You would be surprised by all the City Ordinance Laws. The States Attorneys usually toss them, but that long wait sitting on a concrete floor at CBIF really really sucks. I consider it a win.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Come on now, he got bodies on top of his ankle. Took him just couple games to get back where he belongs - to No1 on the list of tackles.

It really isn't his fault. The problem is he's too good at his job. He's exactly where he's supposed to be blocking and the right side is giving up pressure and he gets rolled up on.
C'mon guys! I know he got rolled up on....this time! lol! But to me, it seems like it is always something with Stanley for why he can't stay on the field that's all I'm trying to say.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The problem with this debate about coaching or players is that it can't be resolved without action. So what does one do?

Well, you can release everyone who continually drops balls, gets stupid penalties called on them, throws errant passes, PI penalties, etc, etc... and try to sign and draft guys who do it better, but that's a whole team rebuild - - - and that is not feasible.

Or you fire the guys behind the scenes who "seem" to be enabling this kind of play rather than coaching them to get better; because this isn't anything new in 3 seasons.

Which do you think needs to occur first? You've invested an entire organization in scouting and behind the scenes activities to get great players in drafts and been heralded around the league as a premier organization. So option three, fire the FO.

hahahahaha. The decision is easy. You fire coaches because they are easiest to replace and if they are unable to improve where players have demonstrated weaknesses you can begin to believe it's the player or you can just go and find another adjunct coach to coach up on weaknesses.

It's a chicken or egg conundrum. I choose to blame coaches and have seen too many times in my many years of watching all kinds of sports that often the simple change of saying thank you to a guy who did well, but we need to go in a different direction is enough - often enough- to turn a franchise around or get to the next level.
I somewhat agree, but depends on the player.

Like if the player consistently dropping passes or suffering breakdowns in coverage isn't a Lamar Jackson-level player, then they'll replace the player first. Like if the decision is between cutting (or in this case, not re-signing) Peters or moving on from MacDonald, they'll choose to keep MacDonald in a heartbeat, as well they should. There's only a handful of players on any team that the team is actually married to, and pretty much only the QB or some super rare all-time great, like a Ray Lewis, is going to win a power struggle with a coach. Everybody else, largely, is replaceable, and most franchises will look to make personnel changes much quicker than coaching one's.

As for coaches/FO, in many organizations, they're largely tied to each other. Its not a certainty, but in many cases, they're linked. Meaning when the HC goes, the GM usually is either gone too or soon to be gone. Firing assistant coaches or even coordinators can often be considered the "easy choice", though there also aren't a large number of examples of those firings turning into great things long term. They're mostly just scapegoating certain positional group coaches or play callers for larger issues within the organization.

I totally disagree with the last paragraph. In some cases that'll work, but in the NFL in particular, I think history would tell you that a TON of franchises go through a TON of GMs, HC's, coordinators, etc. over time, and none of the new guys make a material impact on the organization's ability to win games, transform culture, etc. I'm sympathetic towards a change being needed in some cases, but there's a reason why there's such a huge amount of turnover among HC, GM, etc. on an annual basis, and wise there's just such a huge quantity of organizations that perpetually fail over and over and over again.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Lmao it's so funny in here today. Yall are not taking it well at all. Unfortunately no one should be one but surprised with how this season is going based on what's happened.

I wrote this team off after the Bucs win.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lmao it's so funny in here today. Yall are not taking it well at all. Unfortunately no one should be one but surprised with how this season is going based on what's happened.

I wrote this team off after the Bucs win.
I still haven't written them off. I don't like what I've seen the last two weeks (was actually quite pleased with the Bucs game to be honest), but there's also a bunch of things I don't like about many teams in the AFC right now. Chiefs and Dolphins look like the best teams, Bengals are surging but also have basically one good "win" and have a brutal schedule left. Buffalo looks extremely vulnerable right now and has a lot of work to do, and everybody else in the AFC is just "meh" to me.

And frankly most of the NFC is just trash to me. Cowboys, Eagles and 49ers are good but flawed, and everybody else in the NFC basically sucks.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Someone explain it though. Is it this defense is filled with a bunch of pussies? Or MM is calling a pussy ass game every time we hit the 4th quarter? What's going on? All I know is that defense is weak as shit.

Side note: For the love of God Oweh do something to help your team. You're the easiest matchup on the field every single week for the opposing OL. He's somehow regressed tremendously from what would be considered an incredibly mediocre season for a rookie last year.