• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 WR Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Would love to double dip at WR but I'm feeling kinda down about the team rn :(. Like of all years to really need a big draft class it's this one. But we have so few picks and no second rounder.

Plus with Lamar almost certainly playing on the tag the WR isn't going to be meaningfully addressed in FA. They say the room is getting overhauled but I seriously doubt it.

Bateman stays
Assume Duv stays
One generic FA WR that does not matter
One WR draft pick
Maybe you keep Tylan. Maybe you bring back DRob. Maybe Watkins but he ran his mouth like an idiot.

Point is I don't see how the room could really be all that different with the total lack of resources.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
deleted my post about Zay Flowers

think he might be the jahan dotson of this class
think watching him after josh downs and jalin hyatt and seeing how fast those guys are may have given me a little misunderstanding about flowers athleticism - also seeing more and more stuff working on the outside

gonna have to rewatch more and more of everyone obviously - everything so far is just preliminary grades

but maybe he's WR2 ahead of Addison...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What is this Ravens fascination with small guys at WR position?

is it a fascination?
we've drafted like 7 of them in the entire history of the franchise...

Jermaine Lewis
Patrick Johnson
Derek Abney
Mark Clayton
Michael Campanaro
Marquise Brown
James Proche

4 of them were day 3 picks, and only 3 of them have been drafted since 2006...

wouldnt exactly call it a fascination

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
What is this Ravens fascination with small guys at WR position?
It's actually pretty recent. For most of our history we went for big guys, but they were slow and got no separation. Seems under EDC we're focusing on guys that actually get open and have decent hands.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's actually pretty recent. For most of our history we went for big guys, but they were slow and got no separation. Seems under EDC we're focusing on guys that actually get open and have decent hands.

i think this is more the trend
it's not that we're drafting lots of small guys

we're just prioritising speed and explosion and separation over big bodies and catch-point heroics now

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
deleted my post about Zay Flowers

think he might be the jahan dotson of this class
think watching him after josh downs and jalin hyatt and seeing how fast those guys are may have given me a little misunderstanding about flowers athleticism - also seeing more and more stuff working on the outside

gonna have to rewatch more and more of everyone obviously - everything so far is just preliminary grades

but maybe he's WR2 ahead of Addison...
We're converging lol.

I have had Addison number 1 and Flowers number 2 for awhile. We just don't see JSN the same way hahaha

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
is it a fascination?
we've drafted like 7 of them in the entire history of the franchise...

Jermaine Lewis
Patrick Johnson
Derek Abney
Mark Clayton
Michael Campanaro
Marquise Brown
James Proche

4 of them were day 3 picks, and only 3 of them have been drafted since 2006...

wouldnt exactly call it a fascination
I meant last few years. Thought for a minute it's because bigger and respectably fast guys get taken before we pick but it's not the case.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm out on Johnston

im not out on him - but im not high on him
he's a slot/YAC receiver rather than a "ball-winner" which is so odd for someone who's 6'4

the skillset's still interesting - just the drops, the body-catching, the inconsistent ball-tracking, the route-running are big question marks and he's a developmental guy with an amazing set of traits - there's no way he's not still a productive rookie if a team commits to getting the ball in his hands in space or designing concepts where he gets to run long-crossers and over routes

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
im not out on him - but im not high on him
he's a slot/YAC receiver rather than a "ball-winner" which is so odd for someone who's 6'4

the skillset's still interesting - just the drops, the body-catching, the inconsistent ball-tracking, the route-running are big question marks and he's a developmental guy with an amazing set of traits - there's no way he's not still a productive rookie if a team commits to getting the ball in his hands in space or designing concepts where he gets to run long-crossers and over routes
I get that but I just really think he's gonna bust. It's all feeling.

Give me Addison, Flowers, or even JSN over him WITHOUT QUESTION.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I get that but I just really think he's gonna bust. It's all feeling.

Give me Addison, Flowers, or even JSN over him WITHOUT QUESTION.

i mean i agree with who you have ahead of him lol
and maybe he does bust - he's definitely should have a massive "bust-potential" warning all over him for which ever team drafts him

but i also do think he's so generationally good after the catch that he'll be in the league for a while even in the worst case

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Feel like Parker Washington will be who we hoped James Proche might be - not super dynamic athletically but has a good feel for soft-spots, some quick(ish) feet, great after the catch and breaks tackles, slot option who may be an ok WR3 in the league, ridiculous hands and ball-tracking even through contact, decent punt returner (although doesnt have the wheels to house one)

he's a mid day 3 pick to me but someone i wouldnt be surprised if they had a very productive and long NFL career - may well be a better pro than college WR