• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 WR Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im not out on him - but im not high on him
he's a slot/YAC receiver rather than a "ball-winner" which is so odd for someone who's 6'4

the skillset's still interesting - just the drops, the body-catching, the inconsistent ball-tracking, the route-running are big question marks and he's a developmental guy with an amazing set of traits - there's no way he's not still a productive rookie if a team commits to getting the ball in his hands in space or designing concepts where he gets to run long-crossers and over routes
he doesn't have that Jahan Dotson "play big" attitude, even though he's 6'4. I was a big fan of Dotson because of his ability to high point the ball, catch with his hands, and play physical.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 Have you looked at the white boy Charlie Jones yet? I think he could be a cool 4th round pick or something

not yet graded him - watched him in passing vs a lot of CB prospects though - nothing has really shone out to me as being someone i want to take a particularly long look at yet...

was seeing not much separation and glanced at this stat graphic:

notice just how many more contested targets Jones has vs everyone else - obviously that doesnt tell the whole story if it was just the stat but id say it someone supports what im seeing so far

have you seen anything that you think should get me to move him up my watch list a bit?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
not yet graded him - watched him in passing vs a lot of CB prospects though - nothing has really shone out to me as being someone i want to take a particularly long look at yet...

notice just how many more contested targets Jones has vs everyone else - obviously that doesnt tell the whole story if it was just the stat but id say it someone supports what im seeing so far

have you seen anything that you think should get me to move him up my watch list a bit?

Yeah let me add this one to that.

Realistically he's not a viable WR target in the NFL. He's like Proche or like Omar Bayless. Had huge college production but is not a great athlete and separation was definitely a problem.

But he's probably one of these core special teamers and round out the back end of the roster kinda guys.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
was interesting that he decided to go to the shrine bowl instead of the senior bowl
I know nothing about him, or many of the prospects this year, but I was reading from people who have watched him and they opined he's basically Lamar if Lamar played wide receiver.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah let me add this one to that.

Realistically he's not a viable WR target in the NFL. He's like Proche or like Omar Bayless. Had huge college production but is not a great athlete and separation was definitely a problem.

But he's probably one of these core special teamers and round out the back end of the roster kinda guys.

ill have to take a proper look to see what i think
but if he's got nothing to him as a WR, im not gonna draft him for special teams - he can come in as a udfa for that - normally special teamers are better athletes than he seems to be

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know nothing about him, or many of the prospects this year, but I was reading from people who have watched him and they opined he's basically Lamar if Lamar played wide receiver.

i think that doesnt do him enough credit lol
he's a shorter receiver who does have that sort of change of direction, explosion and speed that would remind you of lamar

but he's a legit WR and not just a YAC gadget guy

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
i think that doesnt do him enough credit lol
he's a shorter receiver who does have that sort of change of direction, explosion and speed that would remind you of lamar

but he's a legit WR and not just a YAC gadget guy
Everything I've read is that he's the real deal and that he was fully held back by the quarterback situation. The Lamar comment was specifically about his insane agility and explosiveness that leaves ankles looking like spaghetti.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Everything I've read is that he's the real deal and that he was fully held back by the quarterback situation. The Lamar comment was specifically about his insane agility and explosiveness that leaves ankles looking like spaghetti.
I feel like posting #SIIE but I ain't there yet LOL.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would love to double dip at WR but I'm feeling kinda down about the team rn :(. Like of all years to really need a big draft class it's this one. But we have so few picks and no second rounder.

Plus with Lamar almost certainly playing on the tag the WR isn't going to be meaningfully addressed in FA. They say the room is getting overhauled but I seriously doubt it.

Bateman stays
Assume Duv stays
One generic FA WR that does not matter
One WR draft pick
Maybe you keep Tylan. Maybe you bring back DRob. Maybe Watkins but he ran his mouth like an idiot.

Point is I don't see how the room could really be all that different with the total lack of resources.

MOTHER-FUCK HIM.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

This is an interesting stat. I watch a lot of Big 10 and Charlie Jones made a lot of plays all the way from bubble screens to deep shots. Covered all the bases. Looking at this tho I am thinking day 3 but what all is involved with these stats. Could the QB have been inaccurate, late on his throws or just forcing the ball. What kind of defense was employed? Were these contested passes more on the intermediate/deep throws? Was there double or blanket coverage? Could there have been botches by other receivers causing closer coverage? Was the OC a pupil of Roman? Last one a joke but hopefully you give him a look. Now that Jalin Hyatt..........Wow!!!!! Also have to take a look at Hamdon Hooker at QB