• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 WR Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Heavy rumors about Boutte now. Sex scandal and all… EDC about to take him off his board :(

if it is about this supposed sex party idk that that would take him off EDC's board necessarily unless there's some other rumours here relating to anything relating to sexual assault, rape or domestic violence it would seem like that the shady stuff here is more to do with the coaches and recruiting team at LSU and not really Boutte necessarily

obviously just speculating but there's nothing obviously that would take him off the board per se there - certainly something a front office would need to do their due diligence on and look into the character and the background

but unless anything else comes out or ive missed something, i dont think this would automatically remove him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
but also as expected...

big fan of JSN - top end speed be damned - ill take everything else and deal with him not being not a "take the top off" type player

obviously tough to know what a non-Roman, Lamar offence will look like but got to figure we'll still use a bunch of motion which JSN fits so well

also a good blocker so you know Harbs will like him a lot

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Quentin Johnston is a frustrating evaluation

the physical tools are amazing - the YAC ability is unreal - he looks the part and has good physical mechanics with his movements

but there's no craft in his route-running - ultimately that's ok, you can learn route-running salesmanship albeit he's got very little beyond some jab steps off his releases and on some slants etc.

route tree's mostly just inbreaking stuff or vertical - not the end of the world, is a similar criticism to the one levied at DK Metcalf and again may be as much QB/scheme related as it is about him

what worries me a little are his hands - see way too many balls on the floor, don't see him consistently use his length well and extend or high point - he's got great ball tracking and can make some insane grabs but the doesn't look super comfortable catching well outside his frame and makes a bunch of body catches especially in contested situations - ive no idea what his drop rate was in 2022 but im guessing it was higher than you'd want

just really struggling to weigh those issues with the insane plays - feels really boom-bust to me to be comfortable taking him super high

might be the most athletically/physically gifted WR talent to come out in years though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kayshon Boutte is really really intriguing

obviously there's whatever was going on at LSU to muddle through

but there's also a massive drop problem red flag - not in an inconsistent way - 2022 drops were awful - and often stacked on top of each other

im loving a lot of what he's putting out there on film but there's a massive "but" in his evaluation

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

but there's also a massive drop problem red flag - not in an inconsistent way - 2022 drops were awful - and often stacked on top of each other

im loving a lot of what he's putting out there on film but there's a massive "but" in his evaluation
DJ Chark had that issue as well

LSURavenFan

Veteran

Really weird year from him.

His FSU tape was really ugly. Said it before, but him and his QB had very little chemistry. Easily the worst of his three seasons.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really weird year from him.

His FSU tape was really ugly. Said it before, but him and his QB had very little chemistry. Easily the worst of his three seasons.

i think there was another game i watched that was rough - might have been the tennessee game

the georgia game was really important to watch so that i didnt just write him off completely as an irredeemable catcher of the ball

QB issues obviously important too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah he popped off for one mega game but it's really not there

dude's a freakish track athlete but he can only run in 1 direction and not much else
bunch of coverage busts too that have him hyped up

taken all the hype for that Tennessee WR group when Cedric Tillman is right there - Tillman seems to have been completely forgotten about and I really like him (in the Michael Thomas, Courtland Sutton, George Pickens kind of mold)