• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 WR Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 have you scouted Addison yet? What’s your thoughts on him?

I’m hoping Johnston blows up the combine and causes him to drop lol

Johnston is going to be WR 1 in this draft lol

Addison is cool - gonna get comped to devonta smith a ton because of his size but he doesnt have the explosion, speed or the ability to play bigger that devonta had that made him a borderline top 10 pick

Addison has a late 1st round grade from me and is behind Johnston and JSN right now and maybe even some others

and if JSN runs sub 4.52 i might be all in on him as a top 10 type - just real speed concerns with him right now hold me back from that type of grade

i like addison a lot - just not like i like the 2 i have ahead of him

Last edited:
Johnston is going to be WR 1 in this draft lol

Addison is cool - gonna get comped to devonta smith a ton because of his size but he doesnt have the explosion, speed or the ability to play bigger that devonta had that made him a borderline top 10 pick

Addison has a late 1st round grade from me and is behind Johnston and JSN right now and maybe even some others

and if JSN runs sub 4.52 i might be all in on him as a top 10 type - just real speed concerns with him right now hold me back from that type of grade

i like addison a lot - just not like i like the 2 i have ahead of him

Is Johnston the real deal? I’ve been scared off of those big WRs and he doesn’t seem to play as big as I hoped at the catch point. I see the size, speed, production, he’s going to test amazing but idk if he’s going to get open at the next level.

I like JSN but I definitely have speed concerns as well. Seems to be lacking a 4th and 5th gear

Addison has been on my radar for a bit and I honestly don’t have issues with his speed. I definitely think he times better than JSN, I think that’s apparent on the film. Addison imo comps to Jeudy and together with Bateman would be a nice duo.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Is Johnston the real deal? I’ve been scared off of those big WRs and he doesn’t seem to play as big as I hoped at the catch point. I see the size, speed, production, he’s going to test amazing but idk if he’s going to get open at the next level.

I like JSN but I definitely have speed concerns as well. Seems to be lacking a 4th and 5th gear

Addison has been on my radar for a bit and I honestly don’t have issues with his speed. I definitely think he times better than JSN, I think that’s apparent on the film. Addison imo comps to Jeudy and together with Bateman would be a nice duo.

Johnston's a bit of a project
- the catch-point stuff is a bit of a worry (the main thing that stops him being a top 10 type talent in my eyes) - some body catching, some drops...
- the route-running is an area that needs development albeit he's got all the mechanical tools just not a craftsman right now - he's definitely going to get open... at worst he's gonna be a slant artist

but if you want to see why Johnston's going WR 1 - watch him after the catch - he's a generational looking YAC weapon

ive got no real concerns about Addison translating to the NFL as a decent number 2 type WR - just think that JSN is even safer and might be a number 1, and Johnston is ridiculous and has the highest ceiling of anyone drafted for a while

like if Addison's the guy then I think he immediately adds value to the team - he's twitchy, has some nice route-running skill and separates - just not sure he's got an elite skillset that justifies a top 20 type pick (which is fine if we take him... we're not picking top 20) - just think it's likely that there'll be other guys at other positions or even at his position that will be available that'll be higher on the board

i do think Addison's way twitchier than Jeudy but Jeudy was a really accomplished route runner

idk i just think with a 1st round pick (especially the 22nd pick), you're looking for a bit more of a ceiling than Addison... then again i just scanned through the list of 22nd overall picks the last decade or so and outside of Justin Jefferson it's a bit of a graveyard so maybe a safe pick is what's required lol...

im also super high on Bateman still - we drafted 2 of my absolute favourites in him and Hollywood - any 1st rounder and Bateman would have this offence cooking with grease

Johnston's a bit of a project
- the catch-point stuff is a bit of a worry (the main thing that stops him being a top 10 type talent in my eyes) - some body catching, some drops...
- the route-running is an area that needs development albeit he's got all the mechanical tools just not a craftsman right now - he's definitely going to get open... at worst he's gonna be a slant artist

but if you want to see why Johnston's going WR 1 - watch him after the catch - he's a generational looking YAC weapon

ive got no real concerns about Addison translating to the NFL as a decent number 2 type WR - just think that JSN is even safer and might be a number 1, and Johnston is ridiculous and has the highest ceiling of anyone drafted for a while

like if Addison's the guy then I think he immediately adds value to the team - he's twitchy, has some nice route-running skill and separates - just not sure he's got an elite skillset that justifies a top 20 type pick (which is fine if we take him... we're not picking top 20) - just think it's likely that there'll be other guys at other positions or even at his position that will be available that'll be higher on the board

i do think Addison's way twitchier than Jeudy but Jeudy was a really accomplished route runner

idk i just think with a 1st round pick (especially the 22nd pick), you're looking for a bit more of a ceiling than Addison... then again i just scanned through the list of 22nd overall picks the last decade or so and outside of Justin Jefferson it's a bit of a graveyard so maybe a safe pick is what's required lol...

im also super high on Bateman still - we drafted 2 of my absolute favourites in him and Hollywood - any 1st rounder and Bateman would have this offence cooking with grease

Lol at cooking with grease. Hadn’t heard that until Ro.

I agree Johnston is great after the catch. Breaks tackles much like Deebo used to at SC. I just think if we stick with LJ we need someone who creates separation. Which is why I like Addison more.

I do like JSN but I question if he has the speed to consistently separate on the outside which is what I want. I want another option to Bateman.

I hate that I’m back to scouting WRs and hoping we take another one after loving the Brown and Bateman picks lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lol at cooking with grease. Hadn’t heard that until Ro.

I agree Johnston is great after the catch. Breaks tackles much like Deebo used to at SC. I just think if we stick with LJ we need someone who creates separation. Which is why I like Addison more.

I do like JSN but I question if he has the speed to consistently separate on the outside which is what I want. I want another option to Bateman.

I hate that I’m back to scouting WRs and hoping we take another one after loving the Brown and Bateman picks lol

i mean i think Addison probably struggles on the outside more than JSN does - he's not great playing through contact and not amazing at the catchpoint in contested situations either

also tough to say that Johnston doesnt separate - just doesnt do it with much consistent nuance right now - but he has the explosion, change of direction and suddenness to create space - just also happens to be among the best college YAC players ive graded as well

i dont hate that im back to scouting WRs because it's probably my favourite position to grade - but i do hate that it's this class and not last year's or the year before's or the year before's - there's no Drake London or Chris Olave in this class

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Call me crazy but I don't think there is a single top 20 WR in this class, but Addison is my number 1 for the Ravens. Reminds me of Garrett Wilson a little bit. Think he'd come in and have a real role

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Call me crazy but I don't think there is a single top 20 WR in this class, but Addison is my number 1 for the Ravens. Reminds me of Garrett Wilson a little bit. Think he'd come in and have a real role

similar style of athlete to garrett wilson for sure but I just think garrett wilson was better and more athletic - and also better after the catch

i do think I'd be surprised if no WRs go in the top 20 but not shocked

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Zay Flowers anyone? QB was beyond atrocious, but dude is an athlete. BUILD THE TRACK TEAM AROUND LAMAR. Like him in the second round.

would be a nice group for sure
just think there'll probably be a better guy than addison available at 22

maybe i need to go and watch more 2021 addison tape

I can see another talent being rated higher than him at 22 but besides CB I don’t think another position will have a higher chance of providing an impact rookie year. Also I haven’t dug into the rest of the class yet to see what top 20 talent I hope falls at another position. I will say I’m not a fan Kelee Ringo, CB out of Georgia. I’ve seen him mocked to us and he seems to stiff for my preference