• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 WR Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im not loving this WR class so far tbh

the prospects i like on tape seem to have questions with injuries or other stuff

or they've got some flaw that really caps their ceiling or makes me a little nervous (like JSN's speed, Addison's play-strength, Johnston's hands)

there's no real clean prospects here in this class that ive got to so far - and a couple of names that ive been very underwhelmed by when evaluating

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

the prospects i like on tape seem to have questions with injuries or other stuff

or they've got some flaw that really caps their ceiling or makes me a little nervous (like JSN's speed, Addison's play-strength, Johnston's hands)

there's no real clean prospects here in this class that ive got to so far - and a couple of names that ive been very underwhelmed by when evaluating
No first rounders? @JAAM , let's hope this CB class is strong.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Quentin Johnston is a frustrating evaluation

the physical tools are amazing - the YAC ability is unreal - he looks the part and has good physical mechanics with his movements

but there's no craft in his route-running - ultimately that's ok, you can learn route-running salesmanship albeit he's got very little beyond some jab steps off his releases and on some slants etc.

route tree's mostly just inbreaking stuff or vertical - not the end of the world, is a similar criticism to the one levied at DK Metcalf and again may be as much QB/scheme related as it is about him

what worries me a little are his hands - see way too many balls on the floor, don't see him consistently use his length well and extend or high point - he's got great ball tracking and can make some insane grabs but the doesn't look super comfortable catching well outside his frame and makes a bunch of body catches especially in contested situations - ive no idea what his drop rate was in 2022 but im guessing it was higher than you'd want

just really struggling to weigh those issues with the insane plays - feels really boom-bust to me to be comfortable taking him super high

might be the most athletically/physically gifted WR talent to come out in years though

My spidey senses are tingling with Quentin Johnston. He just feels like a big bust waiting to happen

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Have you gotten to Rome Odunze yet? Don’t think he officially declared yet, but I’m liking what I see.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’ve said it before but I’m done with drafting WRs high lol. I’d rather just pay for them in free agency. I already have a few #SIIE’s in mind…

rossihunter2

Staff Member

ive got 3 guys so far
1 with a 1st round grade, 2 with late 1st round grades on a preliminary basis

but no one im pounding the table for with our 1st pick right now (rest of the draft class depending lol) - i do really really like JSN and i like some of these day 2 types - just no one i want to hang my hat on at the top

ive heard the CB group is pretty strong though btw

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My spidey senses are tingling with Quentin Johnston. He just feels like a big bust waiting to happen

he just moves different to everyone else in the class
he's the only guy who id put in a conversation with the top guys in the last class - he's got those types of traits

but for the ravens i wouldnt worry about him lol - watch him run a 4.3 at the combine and go top 10

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
im waiting for him to declare before i bother watching?

what do you like about him?

I’m not Gon pretend I watch film and got the scouts eye for evaluating WRs, but his size and route running.. 6’3. He just looks the part of a WR1.

Excited to hear y’all’s opinions on him when he does declare.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
but like...

Hollywood was a good player
Bateman, so far, has been a good player
I’m a fan of Hollywood and was a fan of Torrey if we’re talking about “high” WR draft picks. Jury is still out on Bateman staying healthy but he’s shown a lot of promise. No one else comes to mind when talking about WRs we’ve drafted. Our history just really scares me when we invest in the position via the draft

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
but like...

Hollywood was a good player
Bateman, so far, has been a good player

I’m a fan of Hollywood and was a fan of Torrey if we’re talking about “high” WR draft picks. Jury is still out on Bateman staying healthy but he’s shown a lot of promise. No one else comes to mind when talking about WRs we’ve drafted. Our history just really scares me when we invest in the position via the draft
Exactly, JAAM. I mean we're not gonna get lucky every year in FA. If anything, we'd be talking about we're just making bargain signings that aren't difference makers. I say, we still gotta sign one if the value is worth it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean until hollywood we barely invested at the position

we've been bad at finding guys outside of day 1...

but the last 2 guys we picked high have been good picks

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly, JAAM. I mean we're not gonna get lucky every year in FA. If anything, we'd be talking about we're just making bargain signings that aren't difference makers. I say, we still gotta sign one if the value is worth it.

most likely we're gonna have to pay at least a reasonable amount for 1 to guarantee we get someone we like

and also then draft someone or multiple someones

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
ive got 3 guys
1 with a 1st round grade, 2 with late 1st round grades on a preliminary basis

but no one im pounding the table for with our 1st pick right now (rest of the draft class depending lol) - i do really really like JSN and i like some of these day 2 types - just no one i want to hang my hat on at the top

ive heard the CB group is pretty strong though btw
yep, the CB class is big and I could absolutely see us taking a CB in this class, depending on what we do with Peters or free agency. I think we get a vet WR in free agency also......if Lamar is extended and not tagged. If he's tagged we won't have the space.