• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Awful, The Run Defence and The Offence

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I kind of want a young guy from college for Lamar. Not sure I’d be happy with a 50+ year older of the streets

idk that i want someone from college necessarily - would obviously depend on who they are
but not a big history of success of guys coming direct from college as coordinators (and even worse as HCs)

id be looking at position coaches who've had past college or NFL playcalling experience... Brian Johnson from the Eagles, Joe Brady from the Bills etc.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I didn't have anything to do with it if he did, but I can check.

Edit: I can't see anything to suggest he was suspended.

I literally just saw a little “suspended” tag underneath his name lol. Maybe he did that

Huh, really? I didn't see any warnings recently, so I'm not really sure what happened there.

yes he's suspended - he had too many warnings in too short a period of time and the site automatically suspends him in those cases - i cant tell which kind of suspension it is but it's either a 2 week or 1 month suspension

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
just to be clear, it's not ridiculous to consider lateral moves - yes teams can block them, but if it's something that coach wants to do, then in at least some cases teams would give permission

they can block it if they want but not necessarily a given in all scenarios
yes it happens, but not that often

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Can anyone remember what packages we were playing on defense this game? Did we even try to take the run away with in game adjustments or were we so scared of getting passed on we played a more vanilla standard defense?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can anyone remember what packages we were playing on defense this game? Did we even try to take the run away with in game adjustments or were we so scared of getting passed on we played a more vanilla standard defense?
I don't have this. Ken McKusick over at Film Study usually does weekly breakdown of defensive personnel grouping. He's having some personal health issues it seems so he's writing more summarized versions and did not include personnel groupings.

However, based on snap count distributions, it doesn't look like a particularly "pass heavy" approach on defense. Looks to be plenty of Nickel Packages. Washington, Madubuike, Bowser, JPP played a lot, and there was a pretty good rotation at OLB. Not seeing much playing time from a 6th DB.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don't have this. Ken McKusick over at Film Study usually does weekly breakdown of defensive personnel grouping. He's having some personal health issues it seems so he's writing more summarized versions and did not include personnel groupings.

However, based on snap count distributions, it doesn't look like a particularly "pass heavy" approach on defense. Looks to be plenty of Nickel Packages. Washington, Madubuike, Bowser, JPP played a lot, and there was a pretty good rotation at OLB. Not seeing much playing time from a 6th DB.
Thank you!

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Saw the Pickett TD again, I’m not so sure he was even throwing to the RB; there was another guy in the same spot waiting for that ball, the Greg Roman special but it worked on our clutch defense lmao. We are such a joke

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Saw the Pickett TD again, I’m not so sure he was even throwing to the RB; there was another guy in the same spot waiting for that ball, the Greg Roman special but it worked on our clutch defense lmao. We are such a joke
Was disappointed in Roquan on this one. His initial dropback into coverage on the RB is pretty perfect. He just takes a few steps towards Pickett when he scrambles and then isn't able to recover. Didn't think he needed to come up to make a play on Pickett's scramble, since Queen had already released and was in pursuit.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was disappointed in Roquan on this one. His initial dropback into coverage on the RB is pretty perfect. He just takes a few steps towards Pickett when he scrambles and then isn't able to recover. Didn't think he needed to come up to make a play on Pickett's scramble, since Queen had already released and was in pursuit.
Yea it’s too bad, it was a little bit like Huntley’s play against Denver, we just got beat on it this time

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yeah he was off in a couple coverages this game. Have to say that Hamilton's coverage on Freiermuth on the long pass (believe it was to him) was spot on. He basically couldn't have covered him any better, it was just a perfect throw.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The thing that I don't think people are talking about enough is the redzone offense. GRo is totally deer in headlights when we get there.

Lamar was struggling to score in the RZ. Huntley has been basically inept in the RZ. Even if Lamar comes back, we're still gonna struggle to score in the RZ. Because what's changed since last time Lamar was playing? We swapped Duvernay for Watkins. That's it.

JK is obviously back but there's no functional difference between Lamar and Huntley with respect to JKs ability to score in the RZ rushing. Or if there is, it's small.

I dont see this offense putting it together in the RZ this year, with this OC, and with this roster.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sidenote:

watching the all-22...

Tyus Bowser is still insane in coverage - this dude is man covering TEs that safeties and CBs sometimes struggle with and erasing them from the play
he's a beast. To think many of us wanted JuJu over him is ridiculous. I give credit to @Simba as he was always a big fan of Bowser.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i mean i liked juju a lot and still do lol
both good players - and must be said that Juju became an impact player a lot sooner than Bowser did
he did, but Bowser has been good for 4 seasons now and JuJu hasn't really done much since the 2018 season. He's been ok this season and could have a 1000 yard season if he goes off this weekend.

I believe Bowser has been the more impactful player.

Simba

Staff Member
he's a beast. To think many of us wanted JuJu over him is ridiculous. I give credit to @Simba as he was always a big fan of Bowser.
Still think they spent too much time trying to develop every little thing in his game instead of letting him do what he does best and build on the rest over time. Glad he ended up being a hit, even if not a superstar.