• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think they'll end up doing it, but a really bold move would be to give Lamar the non-exclusive tag and let another team set the market and match. You lose the ability to structure things the way you want, but we do have the cap space to play with if needed. All of this is only doable if they truly believe that no one else out there is going to fully guaranteed/blowing the market out of the water though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
but we have been willing to drop back in "weaker" WR classes and grab our guy later

this feels like that sort of class - definitely feels more like the hollywood class than the jefferson class
Zay flowers, rashee rice, Marvin mims, dontayvion wicks, at perry, all look like some really good guys that can be taken after a hefty trade back or even the 3rd

rossihunter2

Staff Member
In a weird way, it's kind of on the Ravens at this point to make a decision. If you want Lamar and want to be able to work freely in the offseason phases, that offer has to come up a ton. But if there really is contention and you aren't sure about giving him that long term deal, you almost have to just suck it up and move on now. FT is basically extending all of this dread another year and I'm not sure either side is willing to go through that again. So basically, the option is to repair the relationship with a check for a lot of money, or start gauging interest across the league here real soon.

yeah tough to foresee a situation where we do this all over again the same way
feels like something needs to happen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think they'll end up doing it, but a really bold move would be to give Lamar the non-exclusive tag and let another team set the market and match. You lose the ability to structure things the way you want, but we do have the cap space to play with if needed. All of this is only doable if they truly believe that no one else out there is going to fully guaranteed/blowing the market out of the water though.

just dont see it - because if you cant match then you only get 2 1s for it

a team will justify an "overpay" because of the savings on draft capital so the ravens would have to pay something massive - also a bunch of teams with way more cap space than us around...

Simba

Staff Member

a team will justify an "overpay" because of the savings on draft capital so the ravens would have to pay something massive - also a bunch of teams with way more cap space than us around...
Yeah I'm definitely on the unlikely side here, but just an option that they do have IF they have the right info of course.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Zay flowers, rashee rice, Marvin mims, dontayvion wicks, at perry, all look like some really good guys that can be taken after a hefty trade back or even the 3rd

oh it's not an empty class in the WR department
just nothing like some of the recent classes especially in terms of top tier talent

if you havent already take a look at Cedric Tillman, Josh Downs, Xavier Hutchinson and Kayshon Boutte as some guys i like in day 2 also

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
oh it's not an empty class in the WR department
just nothing like some of the recent classes especially in terms of top tier talent

if you havent already take a look at Cedric Tillman, Josh Downs, Xavier Hutchinson and Kayshon Boutte as some guys i like in day 2 also
Oh I forgot to mention Tillman who I also like. Not too big on downs or Hutchinson and I think kayshon may be more of a 22nd overall type guy if we like him.

This is banking on andrews and Bateman but honestly adding a reliable #2 who can gain modest separation and not drop the ball and not be injured then we’ll be good. Honestly Willie Snead gets hate but he was the best WR2 we’ve had since andrews became the priority

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh I forgot to mention Tillman who I also like. Not too big on downs or Hutchinson and I think kayshon may be more of a 22nd overall type guy if we like him.

This is banking on andrews and Bateman but honestly adding a reliable #2 who can gain modest separation and not drop the ball and not be injured then we’ll be good. Honestly Willie Snead gets hate but he was the best WR2 we’ve had since andrews became the priority

what are your misgivings about hutchinson and downs

i think kayshon has the skillset and tape to go R1 but the drops are an issue and the off-field make him feel quite boom-bust

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
obviously lol

but extend lamar
sign a free agent WR
draft BPA (hope it's a premium position like WR, CB, DL or EDGE) with our 1st pick wherever that ends up being
Thats all we need imo. That along with our guys from last season being more experienced.. including MM. i dnt want a first year OC though

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
what are your misgivings about hutchinson and downs

i think kayshon has the skillset and tape to go R1 but the drops are an issue and the off-field make him feel quite boom-bust
I didn’t know if any off field stuff. Hutchinson is just meh to me, and to me downs looks just undersized for the nfl

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
and i think this is the leverage lamar has (as long as he's willing to negotiate before the beginning of the new league year (seems like last year he was content to go on holiday and wait til he was back around the building to negotiate)

ravens need to extend him (or trade him) for cap purposes if they want their best opportunity to compete in 2023

that urgency might lead to him getting a massive offer as long as he's willing to move also - i really do think 5 yrs 250+ with 200m guaranteed gets it done
If they wouldn't go $200 guaranteed last year, I'd like to know your rationale for upping it to potentially $250 other than inflation. I just don't see that happening. Particularly after another knee injury and incomplete season. Sorry in advance if I bring out your rmc... lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I didn’t know if any off field stuff. Hutchinson is just meh to me, and to me downs looks just undersized for the nfl

i mean downs is a smaller guy but he's probably bigger than hollywood was coming out - doesnt feel like enough to completely dismiss him to me lol - especially when he's one of those prospects who has a jetpack strapped to his back

and hutchinson is someone who i think is gonna gradually rise up draft boards as people start watching more and more of him - at his height and size, to have the release packages he has and the quick feet and fluidity he has is great - he's a little older and will need to do well in the measured testing but i think he's cool

rossihunter2

Staff Member

kayshon was involved in potentially some sort of sex scandal that forced him out at LSU and into the draft

doesnt look like it was sexual violence or anything that would necessarily take him off the board but just something that poses a question - there's also some medical things apparently that need to check out clean at the combine

if that stuff passes muster then its the drops that hold back his profile

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If they wouldn't go $200 guaranteed last year, I'd like to know your rationale for upping it to potentially $250 other than inflation. I just don't see that happening. Particularly after another knee injury and incomplete season. Sorry in advance if I bring out your rmc... lol.

because that's how negotiating works

they offered him a lower amount when he had less leverage to see if he'd accept it, he didnt, now he has more leverage, they'll offer him more and maybe that'll be enough to get him to budge

that wasnt their "final" offer that they put to him in september... there was clearly an intention to negotiate further after he rejected that offer and that would suggest that there's a willingness for some numbers to continue to go up

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, CB & WR are obvious needs and I'd throw RB there too from a draft perspective. RB you don't need to take first round but Robinson looks amazing. I say that because we are entering the final year for Dobbins and I could see us not renew him. You can't pay everyone. You also need a CB bad--I don't feel good about depth behind Humphrey and it's also time to start looking at getting him some competition for that #1 CB spot because it is hard to maintain All-Pro CB for long.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

Thanks for explaining that. I was going to ask if once the $ amt was settled do we get to negotiate the other stuff like draft picks etc, for going thru with it...

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
because that's how negotiating works

they offered him a lower amount when he had less leverage to see if he'd accept it, he didnt, now he has more leverage, they'll offer him more and maybe that'll be enough to get him to budge

that wasnt their "final" offer that they put to him in september... there was clearly an intention to negotiate further after he rejected that offer and that would suggest that there's a willingness for some numbers to continue to go up
Ok, but they offered him BELOW $200 last time and not all guaranteed. I get negotiation, but it's not a one way street. I just don't think they offer too much in excess of what they already did. Unless it has become a Deshaun Scenario for them, which IS possible...