• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Harbs has to find a new OC. We don't have time to waste on this
If Roman’s contract is truly up, I’m curious why we haven’t heard any news about interviewing others for the job, unless they know Urban is already our guy

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think a sleeper need is CB2 with Marcus likely gone and no real guy we have to step up. We are a Marlon injury from having terrible cbs again.
idk that it's so sleeper lol
think it's clearly the 2nd biggest need on the team behind WR
Definitely not a sleeper lol.
Corner is the #2 priority of the offseason, and I don't think its close. I think we'll be looking to add multiple. Will be looking to add one even if we keep Peters.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Roman’s contract is truly up, I’m curious why we haven’t heard any news about interviewing others for the job, unless they know Urban is already our guy

because they're probably waiting to finish the exit interviews first
and they're not in a crazy rush right now - there's a bunch of OC openings around the league and also a bunch of guys still coaching in the playoffs - no one's coming "off the board" before friday

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Jeff Z - doesn't feel now like it's going to happen, but it could be salvageable. Doesn't think the ship has sailed on him resigning, but something positive better happen quickly. Feels like the whole thing is heading in the wrong direction. Seems like there's a growing disconnect there THAT GOES BEYOND THE CONTRACT(between the parties).

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
lol because it's been less than 48 hours since the season ended. That's not something that happens in that short a period of time.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Jeff Z - 7 OC positions available - there are so many candidates available, gotta make a decision and act quickly AND figuring out the Lamar situation becomes more important to do that.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Greg Roman talking about the Vault - - - lmfao!

Sorry, listening to the Fan and this segment is about whether we keep Roman. The comment was about holding back plays from week to week and having stuff in the Vault.

Simba

Staff Member
Just found a clip of that Zrebiec chat and wasn't anything too surprising to me. Basically maintains that the smoke you're getting is certainly not a false alarm, but also don't think things are dead in the water. No surprise, but he does agree that they need to figure things out and figure them out fast. Does feel that a trade is a possibility but not the priority. But again, needs to be figured out sooner or later so they can get involved in the draft market or the FA/trade market. Can't have a will he/won't he cloud hanging over their head if Lamar is on the FT.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Dundalk Jay and whoever is filling in for Ken, talking about letting Roman go, hiring from within, and keeping the staff underneath feels like an extension of Roman.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just found a clip of that Zrebiec chat and wasn't anything too surprising to me. Basically maintains that the smoke you're getting is certainly not a false alarm, but also don't think things are dead in the water. No surprise, but he does agree that they need to figure things out and figure them out fast. Does feel that a trade is a possibility but not the priority. But again, needs to be figured out sooner or later so they can get involved in the draft market or the FA/trade market. Can't have a will he/won't he cloud hanging over their head if Lamar is on the FT.

and i think this is the leverage lamar has (as long as he's willing to negotiate before the beginning of the new league year (seems like last year he was content to go on holiday and wait til he was back around the building to negotiate)

ravens need to extend him (or trade him) for cap purposes if they want their best opportunity to compete in 2023

that urgency might lead to him getting a massive offer as long as he's willing to move also - i really do think 5 yrs 250+ with 200m guaranteed gets it done

Simba

Staff Member
and i think this is the leverage lamar has (as long as he's willing to negotiate before the beginning of the new league year (seems like last year he was content to go on holiday and wait til he was back around the building to negotiate)

ravens need to extend him (or trade him) for cap purposes if they want their best opportunity to compete in 2023

that urgency might lead to him getting a massive offer as long as he's willing to move also - i really do think 5 yrs 250+ with 200m guaranteed gets it done
In a weird way, it's kind of on the Ravens at this point to make a decision. If you want Lamar and want to be able to work freely in the offseason phases, that offer has to come up a ton. But if there really is contention and you aren't sure about giving him that long term deal, you almost have to just suck it up and move on now. FT is basically extending all of this dread another year and I'm not sure either side is willing to go through that again. So basically, the option is to repair the relationship with a check for a lot of money, or start gauging interest across the league here real soon.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
In a weird way, it's kind of on the Ravens at this point to make a decision. If you want Lamar and want to be able to work freely in the offseason phases, that offer has to come up a ton. But if there really is contention and you aren't sure about giving him that long term deal, you almost have to just suck it up and move on now. FT is basically extending all of this dread another year and I'm not sure either side is willing to go through that again. So basically, the option is to repair the relationship with a check for a lot of money, or start gauging interest across the league here real soon.
Can't trade without the FT

Simba

Staff Member
Can't trade without the FT
What I mean by that is they can't have him sit on the FT for all of 2023 and then try this whole routine again. By all accounts, it seems that's untenable. So they're at a crossroads and have to decide which way they're going - paying him or giving him the tag and trading him. I'd be surprised if playing on the tag is an option right now.

Last edited:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
What I mean by that is they can't have hit sit on the FT for all of 2023 and then try this whole routing again. By all accounts, it seems that's untenable. So they're at a crossroads and have to decide which way they're going - paying him or giving him the tag and trading him. I'd be surprised if playing on the tag is an option right now.
Kinda crazy that all the people who said Lamar might have played his last game as a Raven may have been right