• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think they'll end up doing it, but a really bold move would be to give Lamar the non-exclusive tag and let another team set the market and match. You lose the ability to structure things the way you want, but we do have the cap space to play with if needed. All of this is only doable if they truly believe that no one else out there is going to fully guaranteed/blowing the market out of the water though.
that is a very bad idea. if we are going to franchise tag him, we need to do the exclusive rights franchise tag. A team can structure his contract in a way we can't match.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ok, but they offered him BELOW $200 last time and not all guaranteed. I get negotiation, but it's not a one way street. I just don't think they offer too much in excess of what they already did. Unless it has become a Deshaun Scenario for them, which IS possible...
that is not true, it was more than what Kyler Murray received

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ok, but they offered him BELOW $200 last time and not all guaranteed. I get negotiation, but it's not a one way street. I just don't think they offer too much in excess of what they already did. Unless it has become a Deshaun Scenario for them, which IS possible...

they offered him 250+ with 160-180 guaranteed (unconfirmed where it landed in that range for the guarantees)

not far-fetched to believe that an increase in 20m in guarantees (spread across 5 years remember) is manageable and that lamar might be convinced by that kind of offer

part of the compromise is that lamar may come off the fully guaranteed deal if the guaranteed money is big enough that he's not worried about that precedent... and if the av/yr is big enough

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
they offered him 250+ with 160-180 guaranteed (unconfirmed where it landed in that range for the guarantees)

not far-fetched to believe that an increase in 20m in guarantees (spread across 5 years remember) is manageable and that lamar might be convinced by that kind of offer

part of the compromise is that lamar may come off the fully guaranteed deal if the guaranteed money is big enough that he's not worried about that precedent... and if the av/yr is big enough
I thought it was only 133 guaranteed

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I thought it was only 133 guaranteed

schefter's report initially was 133m fully guaranteed at signing
russini asked lamar after that whether he was offered 160-180 guaranteed (guess she spoke to someone) and he confirmed the guarantees were in that range (but didnt specify where)

think that either schefter's offer was not the most recent offer lamar rejected, or there's some semantics involved between guaranteed and "fully guaranteed at signing" that makes a difference of between 27m and 47m (my guess would be if this is the case that schefter's number didnt include any roster bonuses that trigger if lamar's on the roster on x day of the new league year each year so that the money pro-rates later in the deal for cap purposes)

looking at overthecap looks like, excluding deshaun watson, the most money fully guaranteed at signing in a contract before is the 124m russell wilson got, the most total guarantees in a contract before is the 165m russell wilson got (kyler got 160)

sounds like lamar's numbers in both categories were easily the biggest in both outside of Watson's deal - think if the total guarantees get to 200m that it'll be enough

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
that is not true, it was more than what Kyler Murray received

I don't want to split hairs, but $189 is what a simple Google search said was guaranteed for Murray. If we offered more than that AND more than $250 over years already, that makes what you're surmising to get it done even more unlikely. Unless, as I say, we are now in a pay anything to keep him scenario... which I just don't feel like we are. Moreover, is a mere $20M gonna do it after what's transpired over the past month? I think it became blockbuster and I don't see it after injuries and the rest of the water under the bridge.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't want to split hairs, but $189 is what a simple Google search said was guaranteed for Murray. If we offered more than that AND more than $250 over years already, that makes what you're surmising to get it done even more unlikely. Unless, as I say, we are now in a pay anything to keep him scenario... which I just don't feel like we are. Moreover, is a mere $20M gonna do it after what's transpired over the past month? I think it became blockbuster and I don't see it after injuries and the rest of the water under the bridge.

seems to be a 29.5m disparity between what spotrac says and what overthecap says about the total guarantees in kyler murray's deal

OTC generally regarded as the more reliable - and i can see where their number comes from (signing bonus, option bonuses, guaranteed salary) whereas not quite sure how spotrac get to their number...

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, CB & WR are obvious needs and I'd throw RB there too from a draft perspective. RB you don't need to take first round but Robinson looks amazing. I say that because we are entering the final year for Dobbins and I could see us not renew him. You can't pay everyone. You also need a CB bad--I don't feel good about depth behind Humphrey and it's also time to start looking at getting him some competition for that #1 CB spot because it is hard to maintain All-Pro CB for long.
JK and gus are good enough. the no.3 need we have is OL

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
seems to be a 29.5m disparity between what spotrac says and what overthecap says about the total guarantees in kyler murray's deal

OTC generally regarded as the more reliable - and i can see where their number comes from (signing bonus, option bonuses, guaranteed salary) whereas not quite sure how spotrac get to their number...
Yeah Sportstrac has it at $103 fully guaranteed (which could be what left after this year's pay), the Athletic has it at $160 and I seem to remember when it happened reading it as $144. Who knows. I'd submit I think we offered Lamar more guaranteed than any of those. How much more? Don't think it was $200+, because I think that might have gotten it done. I just have a hard time believing that we'd go much higher than that and I think Lamar's demands likely went up substantially more - - - just because... he knows, somebody will pay.

oops, edit... I see where you were looking on overthecap... $138.5 guaranteed. $295 total potential.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah Sportstrac has it at $103 fully guaranteed (which could be what left after this year's pay), the Athletic has it at $160 and I seem to remember when it happened reading it as $144. Who knows. I'd submit I think we offered Lamar more guaranteed than any of those. How much more? Don't think it was $200+, because I think that might have gotten it done. I just have a hard time believing that we'd go much higher than that and I think Lamar's demands likely went up substantially more - - - just because... he knows, somebody will pay.

we know that they offered 160-180m guaranteed with 250m+ in total contract value (and it has been confirmed that the guarantees in the deal at all levels were the highest of any non-Watson deal in NFL history)
we dont know whether lamar's fully set on having the whole 250m+ fully guaranteed (just that the NFLPA is supporting him in trying to achieve that if he wants to pursue it)
however, we do know that from lamar's answers in that final presser about the deal, he seemed shocked that anyone would consider turning down 200m guaranteed

that's why i think 200m guaranteed with a total contract value of 250m+ gets it done

if it doesn't ill be surprised
but i do think if he hits the open market/trade market he's getting a fully guaranteed deal

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
we know that they offered 160-180m guaranteed with 250m+ in total contract value (and it has been confirmed that the guarantees in the deal at all levels were the highest of any non-Watson deal in NFL history)
we dont know whether lamar's fully set on having the whole 250m+ fully guaranteed (just that the NFLPA is supporting him in trying to achieve that if he wants to pursue it)
however, we do know that from lamar's answers in that final presser about the deal, he seemed shocked that anyone would consider turning down 200m guaranteed

that's why i think 200m guaranteed with a total contract value of 250m+ gets it done

if it doesn't ill be surprised
but i do think if he hits the open market/trade market he's getting a fully guaranteed deal
That's fair enough. I edited the post you quoted to say I found the overthecap number you were talking about. I was editing as you posted.

I think what you're saying would have done it then, I don't think that's what his demands will be now. I think the drama has put it over that now. I'd suspect that it's up to $225 guaranteed and beyond $300 if that total contract for Murray if he makes it all the way thru is really $295.

Simba

Staff Member
Have the negotiations resumed?
If I had to guess, yes but no. Would assume EDC and Lamar had a conversation before parting ways for the off-season, but also guessing they’re figuring out internally what they’re doing coaching and philosophy wise before they really get into it.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Screenshot 2023-01-17 6.54.54 PM.png
Here is a possible contract for Lamar. 4 years, 175 mil. Not quite the contract he wants, but if we guarantee the whole thing, I'm sure he would sign.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Have the negotiations resumed?

If I had to guess, yes but no. Would assume EDC and Lamar had a conversation before parting ways for the off-season, but also guessing they’re figuring out internally what they’re doing coaching and philosophy wise before they really get into it.
Maybe we'll know tomorrow. Who knows. there has to be a come to jesus at some point soon, tho.

I wrestle with the potential of seeing multiple 2019-like potential seasons with getting a haul in draft picks if there's a divorce. I can take either scenario. It's just fun being an armchair HC, GM once the season is over.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe we'll know tomorrow. Who knows. there has to be a come to jesus at some point soon, tho.

I wrestle with the potential of seeing multiple 2019-like potential seasons with getting a haul in draft picks if there's a divorce. I can take either scenario. It's just fun being an armchair HC, GM once the season is over.

the question will certainly be asked of EDC tomorrow for sure
his answer will be interesting - but i imagine he wont say much on it