• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think they'll end up doing it, but a really bold move would be to give Lamar the non-exclusive tag and let another team set the market and match. You lose the ability to structure things the way you want, but we do have the cap space to play with if needed. All of this is only doable if they truly believe that no one else out there is going to fully guaranteed/blowing the market out of the water though.
Contractually = good idea.
Draft pick comp = bad idea. He's worth more than two first rounders.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ehh, I'm not really interested in extending a player like him coming off that sort of injury.
he was fine this year and would be another year removed from injury. I don't have any issues extending him.

Now that being said, it truly depends on the offensive coordinator and the type of scheme they want to deploy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ehh, I'm not really interested in extending a player like him coming off that sort of injury.
Tbh I like a lot of this rb class to replace Gus. Charbonnet, Zach evans, tank bigsby, and Sean tucker all look like guys who could fill in very well for Gus and possibly be a huge upgrade, like if we managed to land a guy like charbonnet if he falls in round 3 then I think we’re looking at a really elite pair of backs. The rest of those guys look like they’d fill in admirably, they generate momentum quickly and become a hard tackle, then when they find their opening they eat up a lot of yards really fast and then always fall forward at the tackle for more yards, charbonnet is the guy in that group though that I think could be next level with his breakaway speed

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
he was fine this year and would be another year removed from injury. I don't have any issues extending him.

Now that being said, it truly depends on the offensive coordinator and the type of scheme they want to deploy.
OK, but if I'm extending him, is he taking less money? You can make the cap hit lower, but that just means more dead money next year. I owe him $4.4M next year, which is too much for a complementary RB. I'd want a paycut, not an extension for same amount of money.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tbh I like a lot of this rb class to replace Gus. Charbonnet, Zach evans, tank bigsby, and Sean tucker all look like guys who could fill in very well for Gus and possibly be a huge upgrade, like if we managed to land a guy like charbonnet if he falls in round 3 then I think we’re looking at a really elite pair of backs. The rest of those guys look like they’d fill in admirably, they generate momentum quickly and become a hard tackle, then when they find their opening they eat up a lot of yards really fast and then always fall forward at the tackle for more yards, charbonnet is the guy in that group though that I think could be next level with his breakaway speed
For me, Gus is the perfect "here's your paycut offer, take it or leave it" player. Cut his salary close to in half (which would be all cap savings). If he doesn't take it, cut him, let him hit the market, and keep the same deal open if he wants to come back.

Either way, I'm drafting a RB on day 3.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
For me, Gus is the perfect "here's your paycut offer, take it or leave it" player. Cut his salary close to in half (which would be all cap savings). If he doesn't take it, cut him, let him hit the market, and keep the same deal open if he wants to come back.

Either way, I'm drafting a RB on day 3.
I like Gus but I love the idea of having some fresh legs in the fold at the RB spot.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can you really go wrong with a RB named Tank? C'mon.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
OK, but if I'm extending him, is he taking less money? You can make the cap hit lower, but that just means more dead money next year. I owe him $4.4M next year, which is too much for a complementary RB. I'd want a paycut, not an extension for same amount of money.
yeah, if he wants to stay here, I think a pay cut would be part of the offer.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
since i already have a bet with that bills will make SB, i should just take them in survivor pool this week right? Then kc next week if they win? Or i do take KC this week and ofcourse next week too…. Or matter fact who do i take in survivor pool this week lol..

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is a good RB class. I think you have to also think about replacing Dobbins too. Not that he is gone this year, but you get someone because you know you won't re-sign him especially if you are signing Lamar.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is a good RB class. I think you have to also think about replacing Dobbins too. Not that he is gone this year, but you get someone because you know you won't re-sign him especially if you are signing Lamar.
This talk of parting ways with these players is simply ridiculous. They have many more attempts left in their careers. I think it's bs to suggest that we will be parting ways with either this offseason or next.

Simba

Staff Member
This talk of parting ways with these players is simply ridiculous. They have many more attempts left in their careers. I think it's bs to suggest that we will be parting ways with either this offseason or next.
Gus has an inflated salary and Dobbins has 1 year left on his deal. Not inconceivable that both are gone by close to this time next year.