• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i know it's unlikely after 2 lost seasons

but i really hope daelin hayes can at least stay healthy in year 3 - still a big fan of his college tape and his 2021 preseason (and 4 snaps in the regular season lol) - 2022 was obviously a let down but i still believe all is not lost

guys that size who move like that are exciting

redrum52

Hall of Famer
IDK what the Todd Monken offence looks like with the ravens, but currently watching Georgia film to grade Kenny McIntosh and the way Monken uses McIntosh in the passing game makes me super excited about what JK Dobbins could do in 2023 as a route runner and receiving weapon
Wasn't he supposed to be a key piece the year he got injured? What the hell happened to that plan when he returned?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He wasn't "right" until the end of the year. He'll be a monster this year

think missing the offseason and then not being right until half way through the year is exactly what happened for sure

but he's a weapon that i think has more to be accessed - probably never gonna be a plus pass protector but his movement skills just project so well to route-running and we know he's a weapon in space

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Outside of Eric's comment about QBs being in the top 31 of the board, that was like super uneventful. No lying was really even possible....

Eric basically just said we're gonna go BPA, we have needs but also like depth. You can get good players across the draft... Like whatever blah vacuous nonsense.

He didn't even do his traditional let me throw out some names of a few guys I like. Was just angry because the media won't give the Lamar situation a rest.

Simba

Staff Member
Outside of Eric's comment about QBs being in the top 31 of the board, that was like super uneventful. No lying was really even possible....

Eric basically just said we're gonna go BPA, we have needs but also like depth. You can get good players across the draft... Like whatever blah vacuous nonsense.

He didn't even do his traditional let me throw out some names of a few guys I like. Was just angry because the media won't give the Lamar situation a rest.
Was just coming to say the same thing. Usually there’s smokescreens and stuff like that but this presser was a bunch of nothing

Simba

Staff Member
I get it because we would legit have not had a draft press conference if he opened it up, but also like yeah fucking say something bro
I get it but at the same time, his situation does play heavily intro draft strategy. I know they don’t owe anyone anything but don’t get pissed when you get asked again because you’ve never given a forthright answer in the first place

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I get it but at the same time, his situation does play heavily intro draft strategy. I know they don’t owe anyone anything but don’t get pissed when you get asked again because you’ve never given a forthright answer in the first place
Agreed. It's even worse. His situation plays into FA which itself plays into the draft. You can't separate the rest of the Ravens from Lamar. It doesn't work that way

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Was just coming to say the same thing. Usually there’s smokescreens and stuff like that but this presser was a bunch of nothing

they've only got 5 picks and everyone and their mother knows that 1 of their first 2 picks is gonna be a WR - not much to hide or lie about lol

was interesting that Harbs singled out Ar'Darius Washington as a young guy who needs more time - he's someone that a bunch of us on here absolutely loved in that draft class but were still surprised he made it back onto the roster and ended up taking dime snaps at the end of the year

would love it if a guy like him took a step

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i get not answering contract things

and i think the PR guy got it wrong and made it look way worse by interrupting a question that actually was about the draft in the end (and i think EDC realised because he jumped in and just answered the question in the end without anything else)

but also like, i get that lots of people want to talk about lamar and that it's the most important thing to talk about but... what more is there to say? id much rather have beat guys asking pre-draft questions right now and saving those other lamar questions for another time tbh...

Simba

Staff Member
i get not answering contract things

and i think the PR guy got it wrong and made it look way worse by interrupting a question that actually was about the draft in the end (and i think EDC realised because he jumped in and just answered the question in the end without anything else)

but also like, i get that lots of people want to talk about lamar and that it's the most important thing to talk about but... what more is there to say? id much rather have beat guys asking pre-draft questions right now and saving those other lamar questions for another time tbh...
Yeah I get it. At the same time, this is the first time someone has been available with the public trade request with the chance to digest it. Not saying they needed to make the whole presser about him but you'd feel like this would be a team smart enough to address it and move on type of deal. Maybe open it up with some kind of statement and then take further questions off the table. I don't know. Just think PR is a mess right now and it wasn't well handled from the organization.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I get it. At the same time, this is the first time someone has been available with the public trade request with the chance to digest it. Not saying they needed to make the whole presser about him but you'd feel like this would be a team smart enough to address it and move on type of deal. Maybe open it up with some kind of statement and then take further questions off the table. I don't know. Just think PR is a mess right now and it wasn't well handled from the organization.

agree with that last part 100%
was never kevin byrne's biggest fan, in fact i think i was one of his biggest critics but my god has that department suffered since he left

media group and social media has evolved and been great...
somehow PR is still stuck in a pre-social-media era with some of the shit they seem to do

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Very little has been well handled by the organization over the last few years.

From getting into such a mess with the team's first and only real difference making QB, to the endless stream of trade requests and unhappy players, to keeping Saunders and Roman for a couple of years too long, to Harbaugh creating an unnecessary shitshow around Lamar's injury, to coming out pretty badly on the NFLPA survey ( not just on Strength).

Lately, the Ravens haven't been looking like the top organization we like to think they are.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
PR is a mess for over a year now. They all look like muppets. And that's mostly because John was a PR most of the time.