• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
Ok some roster stuff im interested in over the next few weeks

obviously all the PUP/NFI guys are important and if ricard, pepe, JK, bateman, bowser all question marks and impact their position groups significantly

LG - one of the few (maybe only) starting jobs up for grabs right now and OL more generally - think if Simpson and/or Cleveland don't win LG starting job then their roster spots are in distinct danger - if Sala can win LG outright that would be a massive boon to this roster too - can Sam Mustipher show enough that he sneaks onto the backend of the roster because he can cover C - watching for 1st team reps on highlight clips will be interesting - unlike last year where we thought there was a battle for LG but actually Ben Powers spent all bar 2 or 3 practices with the 1s, this could be an actual battle

EDGE - does Ojabo's progress continue with pads on, can Oweh show anything - still got to assume there's at least one addition to be made here (maybe even two depending on the severity of Tyus's injury)

Nickel CB - with pepe injured, does Washington take the 1s reps? does JAD take a step and start to feature? KBK ahead of schedule??? - are there more additions here? do we end up just seeing a bunch of Stephens and Geno in nickel packages instead of a 3rd CB
A weird roster in the sense that we have a lot of NFL level players but all stacked at the same positions competing for 1 or 2 jobs that might be above their punching class (aka a metric ton of CB4/5s competing for CB3). Lacking some serious depth at some other positions like OLB.

I agree with you on LG and OL more generally. A lot of guys competing for one job. Will be curious if it's a real competition or if they already know who they want. If I had to guess right now, they're comfortable with John Simpson week 1 but are really hoping that Sala comes into camp and takes the job.

In general, I feel like we don't have near as much depth as we have in the past outside of CB (again, you could argue whether it's quality depth or not) and maybe WR to an extent. Every other position feels like just enough depth or maybe 1 extra guy that you might tinge a little if you lose him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
A weird roster in the sense that we have a lot of NFL level players but all stacked at the same positions competing for 1 or 2 jobs that might be above their punching class (aka a metric ton of CB4/5s competing for CB3). Lacking some serious depth at some other positions like OLB.

I agree with you on LG and OL more generally. A lot of guys competing for one job. Will be curious if it's a real competition or if they already know who they want. If I had to guess right now, they're comfortable with John Simpson week 1 but are really hoping that Sala comes into camp and takes the job.

In general, I feel like we don't have near as much depth as we have in the past outside of CB (again, you could argue whether it's quality depth or not) and maybe WR to an extent. Every other position feels like just enough depth or maybe 1 extra guy that you might tinge a little if you lose him.

Definitely a few positions where there won’t be many tricky decisions

LB is gonna be interesting with the new kickoff rules - do they keep 4 or do they keep 7? That has a major impact on other parts of the roster depth - my guess is they keep 5 but they’ve surprised us at that position before

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

I'm less worried. Would I feel happier if we'd resigned Marcus P? Of course, but the idea of letting a ton of rosterable players compete for the LG and CB3 spots isn't a terrible plan. Someone will probably emerge.

This time last year we were hoping Cleveland would take the LG role and thinking of Powers as useful depth. Kansas City just won the Super Bowl with nothing but 7th round corners.

Of course, they had Chris Jones reducing QBs time to target them and we still need some help in that dept. There are a lot of good pass rushers still available, that's where we should definitely be adding someone.

With Peters gone, there aren't as many CBs out there that excite me. I think we can cover the slot between Hamilton, Ardarius Washington, Pepe and even Marlon, so we don't really need Callaghan. We can afford to wait and see how all 16 CB5s perform before adding another similar player, if need be.

Simba

Staff Member
Definitely a few positions where there won’t be many tricky decisions

LB is gonna be interesting with the new kickoff rules - do they keep 4 or do they keep 7? That has a major impact on other parts of the roster depth - my guess is they keep 5 but they’ve surprised us at that position before
5 makes sense to me. Smith, Queen, Simpson obviously. Harrison since he can play inside, outside, and ST. And then you probably keep 1 more ST guy and maybe the other 2 go to the PS and get elevated once or if they get an impact of the new rules officially.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
5 makes sense to me. Smith, Queen, Simpson obviously. Harrison since he can play inside, outside, and ST. And then you probably keep 1 more ST guy and maybe the other 2 go to the PS and get elevated once or if they get an impact of the new rules officially.

I see it the same with the first 4 guys - ross is a bit of a wildcard based on how his year went last year but probably him, welch and Phillips fighting for 1 spot - they’ve got longer and cheaper control of Ross which might give him a leg up if it’s close

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really surprised we haven’t added an edge yet

Tyus injured
Ojabo’s first camp
Oweh
Robinson

Right now we’ve got 2 guys who are likely gonna take basically every 1st team rep - we saw what going light at edge early in the year did to the team last year too… I get that Harrison and Robinson will take some 1s reps in relief and maybe Jeremiah moon gets a shot but that’s not really what you want - it’s a super inexperienced group and we saw how that worked out at the beginning of last year (and maybe ruined oweh’s season)

I get that they probably want Ojabo getting as many reps as possible but I’m shocked that we didn’t do the mid-to-late july pre-camp addition at edge…

Maybe all these guys out there still don’t want to do a full camp??? Just surprised we’ve heard nothing beyond a Kyle can noy visit (which seems more related to tyus’s injury than anything else)

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
For me, kick coverage doesn't matter enough anymore to roster anyone beyond the first 4. Harrison is a pretty good special teamer anyway, and they were talking about using Simpson on S/T as soon as he was drafted.

The roster spot would be better used on the D line or secondary, with PS elevations available if necessary for the interchangable ILB5s.

Simba

Staff Member
For me, kick coverage doesn't matter enough anymore to roster anyone beyond the first 4. Harrison is a pretty good special teamer anyway, and they were talking about using Simpson on S/T as soon as he was drafted.

The roster spot would be better used on the D line or secondary, with PS elevations available if necessary for the interchangable ILB5s.
See I don’t even fully believe it’s going to be some big ST change in all honesty. Punt coverage is still very much a thing and has a lot more to do with the field position battle than kickoffs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See I don’t even fully believe it’s going to be some big ST change in all honesty. Punt coverage is still very much a thing and has a lot more to do with the field position battle than kickoffs.

only way i see them only keeping 4 is if they view the next 3 guys as so interchangeable that they dont mind risking all 3 of them knowing that they're gonna get at least 1 or 2 (and probably all 3) back on the PS if they want them

Simba

Staff Member
only way i see them only keeping 4 is if they view the next 3 guys as so interchangeable that they dont mind risking all 3 of them knowing that they're gonna get at least 1 or 2 (and probably all 3) back on the PS if they want them
Yeah I could see that happening. Just don’t get the sense we’re gonna say fuck special teams now because of the new rule. Still a big part of the game on the punt side of things. You might see them opt for someone with at least some positional value rather than a pure STer now but you’ll still have a few guys where that’s the primary job.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I could see that happening. Just don’t get the sense we’re gonna say fuck special teams now because of the new rule. Still a big part of the game on the punt side of things. You might see them opt for someone with at least some positional value rather than a pure STer now but you’ll still have a few guys where that’s the primary job.

the thing i could see happening is them prioritising gunners and other faster position guys on special teams - maybe you see a worley/seymour instead of a welch/phillips

JO_75

Hall of Famer
LG - one of the few (maybe only) starting jobs up for grabs right now and OL more generally - think if Simpson and/or Cleveland don't win LG starting job then their roster spots are in distinct danger - if Sala can win LG outright that would be a massive boon to this roster too - can Sam Mustipher show enough that he sneaks onto the backend of the roster because he can cover C - watching for 1st team reps on highlight clips will be interesting - unlike last year where we thought there was a battle for LG but actually Ben Powers spent all bar 2 or 3 practices with the 1s, this could be an actual battle

It's interesting to me that Sala is already getting first team reps at left guard, I had high hopes for Cleveland but could see us trading him or Simpson for a late round pick or even another bubble player at some point. I really just hope we can finally nail down our offensive line for years to come without having to worry about losing players each year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's interesting to me that Sala is already getting first team reps at left guard, I had high hopes for Cleveland but could see us trading him or Simpson for a late round pick or even another bubble player at some point. I really just hope we can finally nail down our offensive line for years to come without having to worry about losing players each year.
I mean we still need depth, and in my opinion, if Cleveland can't even win an open competition for a starting job against like 6th round rookies, his trade value is like non-existent. Like 7th round pick or conditional pick, at best.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean we still need depth, and in my opinion, if Cleveland can't even win an open competition for a starting job against like 6th round rookies, his trade value is like non-existent. Like 7th round pick or conditional pick, at best.
OL is the ultimate "you never know" position on the trade market. As you said, it's rarely much for a guy like Cleveland or Simpson, but there could be something out there to be had. Or it could be a Tyre Phillips and you get nothing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

not just that he got the 1st team reps on the first day of camp but that he also got a bunch during offseason workouts too
suggests this isnt just a "let's see", he's a genuine contender

we'll see how this progresses obviously but something to be excited about