• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Maybe. Don't think we're anywhere near that being reality yet though. If he's not out there in the next 2 or so weeks, then maybe it gets a little more dicey. But as of now, it seems like the sides are working toward something. Hidden in Jeff's mentions is that Dobbins' agent was at the facility today. Flowers shares an agent too so no guarantees, but can't imagine he's just there on a friendly visit...
How much dobbins think he gonna get right now lol. Mf been hurt every season. I will admit though, if healthy and didnt share carries… easily wouldve gotten 1300 yards in the greg roman offense these past 2yrs

Simba

Staff Member
How much dobbins think he gonna get right now lol. Mf been hurt every season. I will admit though, if healthy and didnt share carries… easily wouldve gotten 1300 yards in the greg roman offense these past 2yrs
That's the kicker here. He doesn't have much leverage in the grand scheme of things, but he's still seemingly recognized as a big part of the offense. That's why it sounds like they're willing to work something out, although it being an extension at this point looks extremely unlikely.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The Ravens could fight it if they wanted to, but don't think they have any interest in opening up another Irsay/Taylor scenario. In fact, there have been a couple of reporters who said that the Ravens are open to sweetening the pot for Dobbins. May not be an extension, but could be something similar to what Barkley took in NY - some incentives that would motivate him to play well and earn that long-term deal.
That sounds like the most reasonable option for both sides.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just do not get this Dobbins thing. Dobbins is acting like he is a top 5 RB when I do not think anyone even has him in their top 10. Pretty sure you could easily hit 12 RBs who would be a safer bet to play better in 2023, either due to less injury history, or are just better players, or in the case of a Breece Hall are both younger and better. I am just struggling to see where he is getting the idea that he belongs in the same camp as the RBs getting franchised when if he were a FA right now he could not get a 1 year franchise tag.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I mean he's definitely good. No one would argue. Idk why that means he gets to fake an injury
It doesn't but his situation is a bit different than PQ's because of that nasty injury, so my best guess is that everybody is trying to come up with some sensible solution. On top of how everybody is screwing up RBs these days, another injury would likely mean his career is over. Dude just wants to get some coin while he can.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It doesn't but his situation is a bit different than PQ's because of that nasty injury, so my best guess is that everybody is trying to come up with some sensible solution. On top of how everybody is screwing up RBs these days, another injury would likely mean his career is over. Dude just wants to get some coin while he can.
We'll see how this plays out. Hope it doesn't become ugly

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Speak the truth about a fucking injury first then you can start talking about a players money

Players contracts and injuries should be treated by HCs like politics and teliogion in bars.
How does injury card hold up against all the offseason videos of his workouts?

Let's not forget a Ravens favorite hoisting a beat over his shoulder before being an injury.

I don't even think JK wants some crazy deal, just some insurance. I get where RBs in general are coming from. Unlike those wnba players...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens could fight it if they wanted to, but don't think they have any interest in opening up another Irsay/Taylor scenario. In fact, there have been a couple of reporters who said that the Ravens are open to sweetening the pot for Dobbins. May not be an extension, but could be something similar to what Barkley took in NY - some incentives that would motivate him to play well and earn that long-term deal.
And that's fine. My point was that (and I didn't know this until I asked around) the player can basically just say "I'm not healthy" and not practice. Unless the team wants to try to force them to, which likely winds up through a union grievance, there's not much the team can do.

I had assumed PUP meant that the team hasn't physically cleared a player for practice. Similar to how Pepe is now off PUP because he was actually able to pass the team physical, whereas he couldn't last week. But apparently PUP is nothing more than either party saying they're not healthy.

And I think the NFL will look to close that loophole either in the next CBA (which is a long way away) or it may not even require collective bargaining to do it. I don't know the specifics of that.

Basically the team is going to want a mechanism whereby they can fine players for refusing to participate in practice because they're "injured".

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But honestly, why? What makes JK different than PQ or Broderick Washington?
I just do not get this Dobbins thing. Dobbins is acting like he is a top 5 RB when I do not think anyone even has him in their top 10. Pretty sure you could easily hit 12 RBs who would be a safer bet to play better in 2023, either due to less injury history, or are just better players, or in the case of a Breece Hall are both younger and better. I am just struggling to see where he is getting the idea that he belongs in the same camp as the RBs getting franchised when if he were a FA right now he could not get a 1 year franchise tag.
Well, the main difference is that Dobbins is a RB and Queen is a linebacker. If Queen stays healthy, he could play another 5-6 years at a pretty high level for somebody. So teams will be willing to give him market value in FA next year.

Dobbins has a 0% chance of being a high quality player 5 years from now. That, realistically, may be true like 3-4 years from now.

So the difference is that one more year on a rookie deal for Dobbins is more meaningful, because his career will be shorter and 100% likely that his next payday is significantly smaller than Queen's is. May be better than Washington's though, because its tough to pinpoint what his FA market would look like.

End of day, here's the reality... Dobbins is going to play this year for $1.4M roughly. If all goes well, that's an extreme bargain. He wants more. Does he want $15M a year? I highly doubt it. He won't get that anywhere, nor would he get $10M a year anywhere. His benchmark today is closer to Miles Sanders than it is to CMC.

So yeah, if you can find a way to get some incentives in there to bring his potential earning up to even $2.5-3M, rather than $1.4M, it may appease him. But like everybody else, I don't know what he's reasonably expecting.
If he expects a long term deal this offseason, he won't get it. And so his expectations are meaningless. If he just wants the ability to make a little more this year with a strong showing, I think that's reasonable.