• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The AJ Green, the Joe Flacco, and the Defense- Week 2 Edition

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
The real issue was the fact that Jimmy Smith was once again, not on the field when we needed him. When healthy, he is by far the best player on our defense followed closely by Mosley.

AJ Green was killing us the same way he has ALWAYS killed us and you can expect the WR's in our division to give us fits until he comes back. Humphrey is going to be the guy in a few years and he is amazing at the #2 spot for us. Tavon Young was playing out of position out of necessity and as expected AJ killed us.

The only thing that confuses me is giving Peanut command instead of Weddle. Clearly Weddle knows what he is doing lol.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Come on man. After 5 years and $120-something million bucks, it's time to stop with excuses for every piss poor game, and there were a lot of those, he plays - don't you think?
You know, Joe is amazing if you just ignore all the bad decisions, missed throws, and turnovers.

Lol sorry I didn’t read your post first I just posted then saw this but yeah, I agree with you. I think that you can’t disrupt his rhythm like that. He’s not a DL here or anything like that. He’s a QB

I would’ve loved for us to get TJ Watt. He was my guy that draft. Kinda crushed my heart he went to PIT. I really hope he somehow flops. I’d love to get some OL players in draft and FA and Earl Thomas should be a target. Hell, dump Jefferson for him. Thomas is a truly elite caliber FS.

Humphrey is a great player and could bring some respectability back to our drafting. He looks like one of our best picks in years if not the last 10 years. Kinda sad when you think about that.
to be honest we’ve had bad luck at drafting too, I think the Jaguars just screwed our franchise for at least five years by drafting Ramsey a guy we wanted. Idk why we didn’t take Myles jack and they took Yannick Ngakoue one pick before we were going to take him. Then again it’s the front office fault for not trading up for Ramsey if they really wanted him. The front office was all on board on Marshon Lattimore last season as well but they didn’t want to give up picks.

The real issue was the fact that Jimmy Smith was once again, not on the field when we needed him. When healthy, he is by far the best player on our defense followed closely by Mosley.

AJ Green was killing us the same way he has ALWAYS killed us and you can expect the WR's in our division to give us fits until he comes back. Humphrey is going to be the guy in a few years and he is amazing at the #2 spot for us. Tavon Young was playing out of position out of necessity and as expected AJ killed us.

The only thing that confuses me is giving Peanut command instead of Weddle. Clearly Weddle knows what he is doing lol.
They lined up green in the slot, jimmy couldn’t do anything to stop that. I think Mosley out of the game dictated lining Green in the slot

You get any qb in rhythym and theyre up there with the elite..
I disagree, in Joe's case, once he get's into rhythm, he sustains it for the entirety of the game. It's very hard to throw him off of it. Usually, when Joe starts strong, he finishes strong. There's plenty of QBs who cannot sustain a level of play for the entire game, they can start strong, but they will crash and burn towards the end of the game.

He is a very good run stuffer but does that warrant contract he got?
We saw how our run D looked when he was injured, it still struggled but mightely improved going from 32 to 18. I think he's a valuable piece of this team but the lack of a pass rush does hurt for a NT getting 10M+.

Whole heartedly agree and this holds true for all QBs and offenses in general.
It is very possible to throw QBs and offenses out of rhythm though, in Joe's case when he gets in rhythm early, it's nearly impossible to throw him out of it. His mechanics, accuracy and awareness just shoots up and he dominates. That's not the case with most QBs, once they start to get hit or see pressure they fall off.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Joes problem is he gets rattled. He lost the joe cool moniker long ago. A bad throw, a sack of 2, and then suddenly every play he thinks he’s under pressure and needs to take easy throws.

Last night he threw a pick early and then didn’t recover mentally for about 20+ minutes and was throwing shaky balls. He was getting pressured and suddenly on plays where he’s not even being pressured he’s way off the mark on easy completions because he’s rushing the throw, or he’s goong straight to dumpoffs because he senses pressure even if it’s not there yet. To be fair he was right to assume there would be pressure every fucking snap because it seemed like it, but there were plays to be made where he had time and he simply wouldn’t make them.

I’m very disappointed because before I thought it was injury related, but now he’s perfectly healthy and still doing it.

The OL needs to be better by fucking miles, that was pathetic, but joe needs to be more aware of everything on the field, he clearly isn’t. His vision just seems to be lacking badly. I do think he is gonna play well enough to get us in the playoffs, barring injuries to him or the supporting cast(defense included), but I’m starting to get on board with the whole “this is just who he is” mentality. A few more performances where he’s missing the mark over and over and rushing to the dumpoff will pretty much cement it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think most of the onus of Geno Atkins big game falls more on Alex Lewis then anyone else. Atkins completely dominated him.

https://gph.is/2p9YrCI
Pushed the pocket and got off his block with east on Lewis.

https://gph.is/2NcfAKh
Poor guy got tossed like it was nothing.

https://gph.is/2Qte30F
Again, just does it with ease.

It was pretty much like that for the entire game...
Man we really need a guy like that... Willie Henry could be close, but not quite him. I want us to focus OL as much as possible next draft but goddamn I’d like to have a guy like that

Man we really need a guy like that... Willie Henry could be close, but not quite him. I want us to focus OL as much as possible next draft but goddamn I’d like to have a guy like that
The Bengals got him and Dunlap in the same draft. Round 4 and 2 respectively. Unreal. I would love to have a guy like Atkins as well, it would be nice to have a force on the DL.

The Bengals got him and Dunlap in the same draft. Round 4 and 2 respectively. Unreal. I would love to have a guy like Atkins as well, it would be nice to have a force on the DL.
They’ve drafted well for a while now. Too bad they’ve had bad coaching or they would be contenders every year.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Sami, I disagree with you at times, but I know you're a Raven and you only want a Superbowl again. You say the tough stuff and most times its accurate. I'm with you, all I want is the playoffs and championships. We were so close to it from 2010 to 2012. We had a great team and then it went unappreciated and from that moment forward, I've been bitter about that. We managed ourselves out of our rightful niche and its killing me. It really is. But we missed the window and chemistry we had. Joejoe is what 34 or 35? I can't remember due to beers consumed in part due to despair about the Ravens.

Our pass rush certainly went blank. Early, Dalton was releasing in two seconds....later not so much. Really felt they measured us and decided not to take chances late. Joejoe threw for over 350 yards but most were in garbage time. Can't tell you the number of Pat games I've boxscored to see them get outgained but win. That's the situation in the game vs the Bengals.

But one thing I am certain of is that our core of Lewis, Reed, Suggs and Ngata has not be reproduced and in their aging years they went underappreciated. Folks will dissent with production, but I've always been a "chemistry" devotee and we had it for awhile but it never registered with our bosses and that's the origin of the fall from grace.

We all have known for a number of years that we need a game changer. Unfortunately theres a price to pay to get a guy that can transform a wayward team.

ANother thing. We havent drafted an elite pass rusher since 2003.

I will no longer not admit this fully. Ray Lewis and Ed reed carried this team on many levels. harbaugh was just a cheerleader.
I said before the draft last year (2017) that Carl Lawson and TJ watt > Tyus Bowser Tim williams.
We (the FO) were un-enamored with either of those two players. Carl Lawson absolutely fucked ronnie stanley yesterday and is younger than tim williams and better. Tim Williams has potential but he's been shelved for a very unimpressive matt judon who overrates himself a lot.

This coaching staff needs to..
start Orlando Brown jr and bench hurst
Start Tim williams
Think about trading brandon williams at some point next year ( if anyones dumb enough to touch him).

RayRayRaven

Veteran
We are using Lamar in gimmick stuff. It needs to end. Do I have a reason?

No.......

yes you do...he comes in and they know its gimmick. They know he can't read the field and throw a Flacco Laser and it disrupts Flacco's delicate rhythm tremendously.

We traded UP to get this guy...we are being very patient, but the time is coming to stab the beast with banderillas.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
yes you do...he comes in and they know its gimmick. They know he can't read the field and throw a Flacco Laser and it disrupts Flacco's delicate rhythm tremendously.

We traded UP to get this guy...we are being very patient, but the time is coming to stab the beast with banderillas.
What? You want to stab a beast with corn dogs?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
When you do, try to find Nick Boyle on the 4th&2 play to Buck Allen. That one really pissed me off.
Here is a glimpse of that play....doesn't show the all 22 and thus not a complete picture of Boyle but he appears clear from this vantage point.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i really hope lamar learns from flacco mistakes cause if he gonna become our starter, i dont wanna witness all this bs again

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Here is a glimpse of that play....doesn't show the all 22 and thus not a complete picture of Boyle but he appears clear from this vantage point.

Flacco couldve also thrown a pass to where he catches it over the shoulder on that first pass..