• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Just finished the pivot episode with Henry and dude seems laid back af. I think we in for a big year. The part where they talk about Ryan Clark meeting Henry in the hole had me laughing. Check it out

Hell yea that shit was funny af! Crowder starting playing with the pillow cause he knew clark was on some bullshit.. then fred mentioned how there has already been a scenario like this and henry gave the other dude a concussion

JO_75

Hall of Famer
What's crazy is everyone looks at the Mark Andrews injury and says ban it, yet the NFL came out and said even with the ban that the tackle on Andrews wouldn't have been a penalty. So like if the one play everyone picked out as the reason to ban it wouldn't have even been a penalty, why ban it to begin with?

they do it in rugby all the time without much issue...

the only thing that makes this a foul is the lift and leg-swing onto the backs of the legs of the ball-carrier (and also btw only ensures they go down, doesn't actually decrease their yardage gain)

if you just drive through the legs
I feel like to me the NFL has got to get on the teams to properly coach the players better when it comes to tackling and what not. Especially with the hip drop being banned, it will take time to get used to and if it's only a trial for this season, will all this be worth it? We know there will be game changing penalties due to this.... in real time it will be hard to see whether it was a hip drop tackle or not. They really needed to make this similar to targeting in college where it's automatically reviewed or something. We have refs with old man eyes out there that will certainly throw flags on clear legal tackles and not throw flags on a clear illegal hip drop tackle.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What's crazy is everyone looks at the Mark Andrews injury and says ban it, yet the NFL came out and said even with the ban that the tackle on Andrews wouldn't have been a penalty. So like if the one play everyone picked out as the reason to ban it wouldn't have even been a penalty, why ban it to begin with?

I feel like to me the NFL has got to get on the teams to properly coach the players better when it comes to tackling and what not. Especially with the hip drop being banned, it will take time to get used to and if it's only a trial for this season, will all this be worth it? We know there will be game changing penalties due to this.... in real time it will be hard to see whether it was a hip drop tackle or not. They really needed to make this similar to targeting in college where it's automatically reviewed or something. We have refs with old man eyes out there that will certainly throw flags on clear legal tackles and not throw flags on a clear illegal hip drop tackle.

the players are complaining about it - but with the thousands of tackles in a season there were only 250 such tackles last year at all... and that's before it's an illegal tackle - so clearly the players can tackle without the swing onto the back of the legs

the only issue will be referees not penalising fair tackles that look similar

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
the players are complaining about it - but with the thousands of tackles in a season there were only 250 such tackles last year at all... and that's before it's an illegal tackle - so clearly the players can tackle without the swing onto the back of the legs

the only issue will be referees not penalising fair tackles that look similar
Every Bengal fan is texting me that Harbaugh is a baby, blah blah blah. Every team voted for it

Simba

Staff Member
Rule changes will definitely be interesting this year.

100% understand the ban of the hip drop tackle but damn defenses can't catch a break. Target for hitting has gotten exponentially smaller and now you're expected to take a dude running full speed and just hope you can hold him up.

Kick return rules are interesting from a returner standpoint in that a one cut and go type of guy is probably who you're throwing out there now. Seemingly a lot less about speed and shiftiness, and more so vision and patience.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

100% understand the ban of the hip drop tackle but damn defenses can't catch a break. Target for hitting has gotten exponentially smaller and now you're expected to take a dude running full speed and just hope you can hold him up.

Kick return rules are interesting from a returner standpoint in that a one cut and go type of guy is probably who you're throwing out there now. Seemingly a lot less about speed and shiftiness, and more so vision and patience.

Imagine trying to tackle Derrick Henry now...

rossihunter2

Staff Member

might add some extra value to RBs too ironically

marklar

Pro Bowler
Pretty ok offseason thus far, pretty much what could be expected after last year's void year spree.
Two moves that I thought would happen that have not are Worley and Mustipher at or near vet min. Both are cheap, reliable depth at positions that currently have no depth. Probably no hurry to sign either though

Simba

Staff Member
Pretty ok offseason thus far, pretty much what could be expected after last year's void year spree.
Two moves that I thought would happen that have not are Worley and Mustipher at or near vet min. Both are cheap, reliable depth at positions that currently have no depth. Probably no hurry to sign either though
Would anticipate at this point that if they do sign, it’ll be after the draft. Doesn’t seem like any team out there is really pressing for any guys at the minimum at this point, and from the player perspective, you might as well see if the market accelerates after the draft pending what teams do and don’t do.