• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
nice vid @Edgar on emanuel hall - i think he's incredibly limited in terms of what he's been asked to do and his route running is kind of raw at times but he's so twitchy that he can beat a guy so fast with one half-decent fake or one strong jab step

that instant acceleration is really impressive and could be a major weapon to help him develop beyond just a pure deep ball receiver - he looks to me like someone who can develop into a good route runner because of what he does already with that ability to change direction and accelerate so fast
Thanks! Same. Once he learns how better to read a defender and set him up over the course of a game he will be a difficult cover. It's unusual to see a long strider eat up cushion and reach top speed as quickly as he does.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
just moving on to nkeal harry - first impression is not good so far
At a certain point I asked myself if this guy would threaten Chris Moore for snaps in his first year. And if he isn't why am I watching him.
I could change my mind if I go back and watch I suppose but I didn't care for him on first watching.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
At a certain point I asked myself if this guy would threaten Chris Moore for snaps in his first year. And if he isn't why am I watching him.
I could change my mind if I go back and watch I suppose but I didn't care for him on first watching.

i just see so little that stands out - he might have the best hands in the class but he's got literally nothing else that stands out on tape as a pro-type trait outside of his actual physical size - he does leverage his size well but not well enough for me to consider him as among the top wrs as ive seen him touted

rossihunter2

Staff Member
watching terry mclaurin has made me feel a lot better about parris campbell - nothing really standing out to me on mclaurin's tape - he's got some decent route running at times but often slows down after his break which is disappointing

that being said, i watched him in senior bowl practices and he had definitely improved - not sure i could think about him til well into day 3 from what ive seen though - he doesnt seem to have the intangibles that made me fall in love with guys like michael campanaro in years gone by

dont see a ton of upside either - he's already fairly polished

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't know how much of this is scheme but really enjoying the Parris Campbell film - reminds me of Percy Harvin a lot

he's dangerous at all 3 levels, incredibly fast and smooth with quick feet - has decent savvy at exploiting defenders trying to matchup against him

ive seen some nice routes from him but also a lot of rawness - i think he's so fast that he's never had to craft his routes especially with the great route combinations they run in that offence - its so easy to scheme guys open i dot think he's had to hone those routes like id want

that being said he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands and has good vision
This is exactly why I see him as a complete WR in the NFL, especially when he gets the nuances of route running down pat.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
by comparison - literally the next guy ive watched does seem to have some of those intangibles - jakobi meyers - he has a really nice feel in his route running out of the slot that makes it seem to me that he has the potential to become a high volume slot guy in the pros

he has the knack for finding the right depth in his routes to hit the soft spot in the zone and has great timing on timing routes

he's not a burner or athletically got any elite traits but he's got twitchy quickness and is really good at the top of his stem

i think it's quite telling how much Finley trusted him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
looks very much like a wr to me
what i really like about him is that he plays like a big wr but he's still really sudden especially at the LoS he's got quickness and violence that beats press really quickly

regarding Arcega-Whiteside. What are your prospects of him as a vertical through or do you see him more of a possession receiver in the NFL. I'm not sure I see enough vertical speed to create separation at the next level. That's really the only negative I see outside of needing a bit more consistency in his route running.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
regarding Arcega-Whiteside. What are your prospects of him as a vertical through or do you see him more of a possession receiver in the NFL. I'm not sure I see enough vertical speed to create separation at the next level. That's really the only negative I see outside of needing a bit more consistency in his route running.

i dont think he's going to be a deep threat at all but he's got the ability to make big plays down field - what he does effectively is he wins at the line vs press/he has enough twitchiness early in the route to unbalance defenders/create early separation and he has a really nice ability to maintain space by stacking the defensive back once he's created that space

so he's not gonna be a home run hitter but he's certainly someone i see who has enough athleticism to create separation and make plays vertically down field

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Keelan Doss is an interesting case - i like what i see on film a lot and it really helped that he showed up at the senior bowl and performed well there which is a relief because his receptions are a touch inflated by lots of quick screen type throws which vs the lower competition he was always going to take advantage of

that being said he's an incredibly surprisingly precise and twitchy route runner and reminds me of a mix of keenan allen and cooper kupp - ive not seen him vs press so i wonder if any of this will translate outside but he looks like he could be a really nice slot straight away

the route running is a real comfort when evaluating him as an FCS guy because that stuff translates to the pros

i do worry about his pure speed but then again cooper kupp ran a 4.62 and i was worried about that then too so maybe he'll be fine - they are really strikingly similar as prospects

i really like doss

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont think he's going to be a deep threat at all but he's got the ability to make big plays down field - what he does effectively is he wins at the line vs press/he has enough twitchiness early in the route to unbalance defenders/create early separation and he has a really nice ability to maintain space by stacking the defensive back once he's created that space

so he's not gonna be a home run hitter but he's certainly someone i see who has enough athleticism to create separation and make plays vertically down field
teaching WR's how to beat press is one of if not the most difficult thing for young receivers to do. I think DK has this down as well . BTW, did you know DK's bloodlines. grandfather was Terry Metcalf, uncle is Eric Metcalf and dad is Terrance Metcalf, lineman for the bears. The more I watch DK the more I see a very safe prospect with a high upside. He doesn't have any wasted movement and has tremendous burst and acceleration with a monstrous catch radius. Tell me your negatives on him and why you don't see him as a first round talent.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
teaching players how to beat press is one of if not the most difficult thing for young receivers to do. I think DK has this down as well . BTW, did you know DK's bloodlines. grandfather was Terry Metcalf, uncle is Eric Metcalf and dad is Terrance Metcalf, lineman for the bears. The more I watch DK the more I see a very safe prospect with a high upside. He doesn't have any wasted movement and has tremendous burst and acceleration with a monstrous catch radius. Tell me your negatives on him and why you don't see him as a first round talent.

honestly he just seems so raw with his route running - lots of rounded route paths - tbh a lot of it i put on the Ole Miss offensive scheme for being horrible but it still limits what we can evaluate on film because he's asked to do different things - for me he and hakeem butler are close to those 1st round grades - and metcalf doesnt seem to have a drop problem as much as butler but he does occasionally get a case of the dropsies

i know he has the ceiling to do these things and ive not seen anything that says he cant improve but the lack of that route running savvy/nuance just stops me short of that 1st round grade right now

that being said given the scheme and lack of creativity in that offence im incredibly impressed by the amount of production he amassed through sheer talent

i just wish he'd been asked to run more of a diverse route tree - the routes they run in that offence are so vertical-oriented its so hard to evaluate on broadcast film

blowing through press coverage is a definite strength of DK though

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm also a big fan of Riley Ridley. Although a bit different than his brother Calvin. He's younger and with better hands as Calvin had the dropsies in college. Riley, like his brother, his an excellent route runner. I love his ability to beat press and he also has length to push off as well as using the drumming and quick feet. He plays physical as well. I'd be a fan of his as well and hope he is there in the 2nd if we happen to get a 2nd round pick .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lil'Jordan Humphrey is an interesting prospect - he both seems faster and slower than he should be at the same time - he's a big body who looks smaller and plays bigger - plays huge sometimes but a consequence is he often looks lethargic and slow - im not sure if he actually is or isnt but i worry that he is a bit slow to really threaten outside - i wonder if his best position is as a full-time big-slot

his YAC is pretty great though with his rb background and he doesn't get out-physicalled in the run game either

has a really nice feel for the soft spot in the zone and adjusting his route-speeds and it should be noted he does well in scramble-drill type plays

worries for me are that short-area quickness mainly - he's pretty raw and limited in his route tree but has some really nice positives that i think you can hang your hat on as a guy to develop - makes some stunning catches but not the most consistent hands-catcher

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm also a big fan of Riley Ridley. Although a bit different than his brother Calvin. He's younger and with better hands as Calvin had the dropsies in college. Riley, like his brother, his an excellent route runner. I love his ability to beat press and he also has length to push off as well as using the drumming and quick feet. He plays physical as well. I'd be a fan of his as well and hope he is there in the 2nd if we happen to get a 2nd round pick .

really intrigued to see how fast riley is in the 40 - if he's too slow his valuation will go into free fall i think - but honestly he's the best route runner in the class - i really hope he runs just even a mediocre time - if he runs fast then i think you'll probably find him shooting up boards into the 1st round despite the lack of production tbh

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mecole Hardman is so raw - he's not a natural ball-handler and he's not got any nuance or creativity or route-running ability really at all
but he's also incredibly new to the position so his rawness isnt necessarily a complete black hole for his projection to the pros - whenever you have an elite trait like his raw pace it's always interesting

that being said he's so raw that he basically needs to be taught from scratch how to play wr when he gets to a team in the pros - intriguing day 3 option if he makes it there (and honestly he should)

significant special teams value as a returner and gunner could lead some teams to take a flyer on him a bit earlier

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
really intrigued to see how fast riley is in the 40 - if he's too slow his valuation will go into free fall i think - but honestly he's the best route runner in the class - i really hope he runs just even a mediocre time - if he runs fast then i think you'll probably find him shooting up boards into the 1st round despite the lack of production tbh
We all know the lack of production was due to Georgia's offense, not anything due to Riley. Yeah, I'm hoping he doesn't run overly fast. If we trade back into the 2nd, I would love having Riley.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We all know the lack of production was due to Georgia's offense, not anything due to Riley. Yeah, I'm hoping he doesn't run overly fast. If we trade back into the 2nd, I would love having Riley.

im not worried about the lack of production but if he runs slow he's inevitably gonna drop quite a long way because there isnt any deep speed on tape
that being said i think he'll do fine honestly and in my eyes he only needs to do fine to consolidate him as a 2nd round pick type talent

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im not worried about the lack of production but if he runs slow he's inevitably gonna drop quite a long way because there isnt any deep speed on tape
that being said i think he'll do fine honestly and in my eyes he only needs to do fine to consolidate him as a 2nd round pick type talent
and a 2nd round pick with a a good amount of upside.