• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree with your top 2. The 3 big things. Good route runners, good hands and provide YAC. Butler I really like but doesn't get separation but man can he make the contested catch.
Butler gets great seperation from what I see. His main problem is that he drops so many passes. His tape is insane but with it comes about 2 drops per game...

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Brown your 1? Holy shit.

I’m gonna go
1. Harmon
2. Deebo
3. Butler
4. Metcalf
5. Undecided. I think I might put arcega-whiteside here, or Harry, or Wesley
Not Brown at 5? And i mean AJ Brown. Also curious of your opinion on Campbell....hes a catch and run guy we kinda need like Deebo. YAC from our recievers are gonna make Lamar a lot more comfortable in his development

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I admit to having a short span of attention so far as watching this class of wideouts is concerned. I am always watching for a trait or characteristic to jump off the film within a game and a half . It ought to be there at any position and in general, I am not buying much of the hype surrounding this class of receivers.

A lot of developmental sorts....potential type players, I suppose. Anthony Miller, for example, jumps off his college film, to use a guy from last year's class.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I haven't put together a top 5, but I've watched all of those guys and have I'm sure I'd have a completely different order than both of you. It just shows how close the talent is in the top five. I think the first WR won't come off the board until the middle of the first at the earliest and maybe last year, but there is more talent this year in the WR class. Now next year may be the best ever or atleast as good as the 2014 WR draft class.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Butler gets great seperation from what I see. His main problem is that he drops so many passes. His tape is insane but with it comes about 2 drops per game...
yet has some spectacular catches as well. What is with these guys that drop the easy pass but make the tough catches. I think he ends up going in the 2nd round.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess my top 5 would be:
1: Deebo Samuel
2: Kelvin Harmon
3: Marquise Brown
4: Riley Ridley
5: AJ Brown

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Brown your 1? Holy shit.

I’m gonna go
1. Harmon
2. Deebo
3. Butler
4. Metcalf
5. Undecided. I think I might put arcega-whiteside here, or Harry, or Wesley

Yeah I mean I’m not watching with context clues or adjust for injuries yet at all but on tape I love what I see from marquise brown on tape - it’s close between him and Deebo for me but brown just edges him out right now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not worried about Butlers drops?

Not too concerned tbh - he’s got a few concentration drops but he’s also got some pretty bad qb play to deal with - a fair few one handed attempts at balls that he’s not been given a chance at

It’s a thing to keep watch for but honestly it’s not so concerning personally right now

Also important to note this is very much a preliminary list based off having only watched 7-8 players so far

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I admit to having a short span of attention so far as watching this class of wideouts is concerned. I am always watching for a trait or characteristic to jump off the film within a game and a half . It ought to be there at any position and in general, I am not buying much of the hype surrounding this class of receivers.

A lot of developmental sorts....potential type players, I suppose. Anthony Miller, for example, jumps off his college film, to use a guy from last year's class.

I agree - I see a lot of day 2 guys this year - lots of guys but the strength of this receiver class is in day 2

I had 3 first round grades on wrs last year
I think I’ll have fewer this year from what I’ve seen so far - might be 2 I think

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
What do you like about AJ Brown?
Good route runner, runs like a RB with the ball in his hands, very reliable hands, and he's an extremely tough WR that doesn't get scared to make the tough catches. I think in the NFL he'll be a go to guy on third down and in the redzone. He has a similar skill set to Juju when he was coming out a couple years ago.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What do you like about AJ Brown?
I know you aren't asking me, but I feel like he's the prototypical slot, volume receiver. Not sure he could become an outside receiver. Although by comparison, I do think Parris Campbell who was also used as a slot at OSU could become a more complete WR in the NFL.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not too concerned tbh - he’s got a few concentration drops but he’s also got some pretty bad qb play to deal with - a fair few one handed attempts at balls that he’s not been given a chance at

It’s a thing to keep watch for but honestly it’s not so concerning personally right now

Also important to note this is very much a preliminary list based off having only watched 7-8 players so far
he's made some spectacular catches this year and has that uncanny ability to break tackles. He's made 17 of 30 contested catches which may be tops in the nation if not close to best, but he did drop 11 catchable passes this season out of 71 catchable passes. That's a concern no matter the QB play.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree - I see a lot of day 2 guys this year - lots of guys but the strength of this receiver class is in day 2

I had 3 first round grades on wrs last year
I think I’ll have fewer this year from what I’ve seen so far - might be 2 I think
Metcalf and....?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not Brown at 5? And i mean AJ Brown. Also curious of your opinion on Campbell....hes a catch and run guy we kinda need like Deebo. YAC from our recievers are gonna make Lamar a lot more comfortable in his development
I just have a real issue with ole miss WRs and brown looks... ok. I see stuff from these other guys that I LOVE and there’s nothing about brown that makes me jump.

Campbell I was never big on, I didn’t see where the hype came from tbh, but I haven’t watched him in so long so I can’t even remember why lol.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I mostly agree, except for harmon and Deebo, who I think are far from developmental and should be immediate starters, everyone else for me has too many questions for 22nd overall

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good route runner, runs like a RB with the ball in his hands, very reliable hands, and he's an extremely tough WR that doesn't get scared to make the tough catches. I think in the NFL he'll be a go to guy on third down and in the redzone. He has a similar skill set to Juju when he was coming out a couple years ago.

I know you aren't asking me, but I feel like he's the prototypical slot, volume receiver. Not sure he could become an outside receiver. Although by comparison, I do think Parris Campbell who was also used as a slot at OSU could become a more complete WR in the NFL.

I see a high volume guy but I’m not in love with him - I don’t see any truly elite traits and I don’t like his effort sometimes (I realise that’s a bit picky but Eric decosta and joe hortiz have come out and said you’ve got to have a willingness to block etc.)

I think he’ll be productive but I’m not sure I see a guy with a huge amount of playmaking ability - looks like a really good complementary receiver to me

But I’m not so keen on him so far

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I just have a real issue with ole miss WRs and brown looks... ok. I see stuff from these other guys that I LOVE and there’s nothing about brown that makes me jump.

Campbell I was never big on, I didn’t see where the hype came from tbh, but I haven’t watched him in so long so I can’t even remember why lol.
I do as well. Basically only Evan Engram has done well and Laremy Tunsil had a pretty decent year this year also. That being said, I'm trying to watch the tape and forget about the bias....for now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
he's made some spectacular catches this year and has that uncanny ability to break tackles. He's made 17 of 30 contested catches which may be tops in the nation if not close to best, but he did drop 11 catchable passes this season out of 71 catchable passes. That's a concern no matter the QB play.

I didn’t realise it was that many - I know it’s been played out on this forum before but his hands issues (a bit like Lasley tbh) seem to be more focus-based than technical

Still a worry but more fixable than the other way round