• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't want to do it but I think 've come around to the idea of drafting a wideout at 22 over interior line. There is only one receiver I would take and at this point it would surprise me a little if he's available when we are on the clock. Hakeem Butler. I'm going Lindstrom or another interior prospect well before any of the other receivers in round one.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
People expect us to take a WR round 1 because it's such a need but I would be surprised if we did. I remember EDC saying he felt like round 1 WR rarely pan out and I think he still won't want to take one unless the guy is the unquestionned BPA at this point.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I didn't want to do it but I think 've come around to the idea of drafting a wideout at 22 over interior line. There is only one receiver I would take and at this point it would surprise me a little if he's available when we are on the clock. Hakeem Butler. I'm going Lindstrom or another interior prospect well before any of the other receivers in round one.
AYYYYY BUTLER

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Went back to watching kelvin harmon... every time I stop watching him I lose hype for him and other guys start to creep up, but when I jog my memory and watch him again he jumps back up to my top wr.

One thing a noticed just now was that Ryan Finley, with the wr corps he’s had, should have been one of the most prolific passers in the country, harmon, Meyers, and emezie are straight ballers and Finley did them no favors, Finley often would throw it right to the defender who was near harmon and in a play where better placement could be a catch, harmon would have to play db instead. On plays where Finley put it at least away from the db harmon seems to come down with it basically every time, he makes some of the most spectacular catches in this class, and as a route runner he is very nuanced and smart, watch his tape against Clemson to see how he sets up dbs, he seems to pick up on how the defense is gonna play him and he uses head and shoulder turns and choppy feet to force a jump, and then he separates, he wins leverage every time off the snap, he’s not the shiftiest or most explosive guy but in short spaces he has very quick feet and uses them well. He’s just a natural nuanced route runner and the best catcher in the class is between him and arcega-Whiteside. As a route runner he reminds me of Michael Thomas, and as a catcher he reminds me of boldin.

And the best 2 things about harmon for the ravens are this: the biggest need from a receiver for us is winning 1v1, harmon can beat single coverage, so when the box is stacked and we need a guy to just beat the corner on the sideline harmon can do it and in more ways than one, he can separate against single coverage and I believe he can play the jumpball against most nfl corners. And the other thing is blocking, he is a finisher on the outside and uses length, strength, and great feet to position and latch on early and drive guys out of the lane.

He may not be a perennial pro bowler, and on this team he won’t be getting 1k a year, but I think it’s entirely possible that this guy can get us 800 a year with 4-6 TDs playing the X, and that’s exactly what we’re looking for.
Im not really a fan of harmon or many of the wrs in this class,but i do love your last paragraph. We dont really need a pernnial prowbowler or all pro at wr. All though its great to have them wrs like hopkins, julio and them, thats not really successful way of winning.. shit im fine with those 800yrs wrs with 8tds. We just need smart wrs who cant get seperation and catch the ball. Rac would also be great.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I feel the same way tbh. I like samuel but ive just found out he has injury issues. Havent watched much of butler so im not really big on him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I feel the same way tbh. I like samuel but ive just found out he has injury issues. Havent watched much of butler so im not really big on him.
It’s hard not to be big on butler after a long thorough watch. He isn’t explosive at all, but he’s crafty and creative and a grown ass man in all facets of football.

If you’re into more dynamic athletes and explosive/elusive home run hitters, harmon won’t be for you, but if you like vice grip hands and incredible body control and refined use of leverage and positioning, harmon is for real.

He’s one of my favorite realistic picks for a ravens receiver since Michael Thomas, who oddly has a very similar play style.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It’s hard not to be big on butler after a long thorough watch. He isn’t explosive at all, but he’s crafty and creative and a grown ass man in all facets of football.

If you’re into more dynamic athletes and explosive/elusive home run hitters, harmon won’t be for you, but if you like vice grip hands and incredible body control and refined use of leverage and positioning, harmon is for real.

He’s one of my favorite realistic picks for a ravens receiver since Michael Thomas, who oddly has a very similar play style.
i just havent watched much of butler. Ive seen a few people say he has issues with drops so i kinda layed off him. for me, i just think a lot of these wrs wouldnt fit us, so i kinda favor the more polished ones.im gonna check out butler more though, seems like lots of people are on board with him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Deebo was fine this year but in the past he has had hamstring issues. It is quite honestly my only concern with Deebo though and I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on him if we trade back into the second round. That being said, DK or Butler in the first is cool by me. They aren't my first choice by any means as I'd rather trade back and pick up multiple day two picks or a slipping edge rusher or iOL.

Unfortunately we have many needs and we all have to understand we aren't going to solve them in one season.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i just havent watched much of butler. Ive seen a few people say he has issues with drops so i kinda layed off him. for me, i just think a lot of these wrs wouldnt fit us, so i kinda favor the more polished ones.im gonna check out butler more though, seems like lots of people are on board with him.
I’m the same way and always prefer a more polished and natural receiver, but butler isn’t just a size and speed guy, he’s one of the sharpest 6’5” route runners I’ve ever seen and has great zone awareness, he has real deal cuts and gains big separation pretty consistently, and is also a YAC bully and aside from harmon and JJAW is probably the third best at contested catches in this class.

The sharpness and suddenness in his route tree at 6’5” are what’s appealing to me, it’s just rare.

Oh and I just realized in the post above you were talking about butler and I responded talking about harmon and mixed up names... I hit the bowl a little too hard earlier lol so pardon me

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I’m the same way and always prefer a more polished and natural receiver, but butler isn’t just a size and speed guy, he’s one of the sharpest 6’5” route runners I’ve ever seen and has great zone awareness, he has real deal cuts and gains big separation pretty consistently, and is also a YAC bully and aside from harmon and JJAW is probably the third best at contested catches in this class.

The sharpness and suddenness in his route tree at 6’5” are what’s appealing to me, it’s just rare.

Oh and I just realized in the post above you were talking about butler and I responded talking about harmon and mixed up names... I hit the bowl a little too hard earlier lol so pardon me
Its crazy that you mention his zone awarness cause thats what im starting to think our offense should maybe lean towards. Andrews and snead opened up our offense alot last year doing so and they were like the only two who consistently could get open.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Its crazy that you mention his zone awarness cause thats what im starting to think our offense should maybe lean towards. Andrews and snead opened up our offense alot last year doing so and they were like the only two who consistently could get open.
If you watch his tape you can see where he does things like show a go and then break a slant well short of the corner who’s anticipating the go, adjusting depth to buy space and what not, and his cuts are sharp and clean and sudden for someone his size. He’s very different from your typical 6’6” receiver and he does do very well to find the soft spot when he’s tasked with certain routes.

But for me, already having 2 stellar zone beaters, I want a guy who can win outside 1v1 away from the 8 man box, butler and harmon strike me as the 2 best options for that and both of them are pretty nuanced route runners as well. Harmon is a better route runner in general but seems to be a little less intuitive on finding soft spots in the middle than butler.

If you watch his tape you can see where he does things like show a go and then break a slant well short of the corner who’s anticipating the go, adjusting depth to buy space and what not, and his cuts are sharp and clean and sudden for someone his size. He’s very different from your typical 6’6” receiver and he does do very well to find the soft spot when he’s tasked with certain routes.

Huge fan of his. I think he pulls a Corey Davis and goes waaay higher than everyone expects.

But for me, already having 2 stellar zone beaters, I want a guy who can win outside 1v1 away from the 8 man box, butler and harmon strike me as the 2 best options for that and both of them are pretty nuanced route runners as well. Harmon is a better route runner in general but seems to be a little less intuitive on finding soft spots in the middle than butler.

I completely agree with this that I want two guys on the outside who can consistently beat 1v1 coverage to prevent them from stacking the box. I'd also add JJAW to your list. I actually like him way better than Harmon. Seems like everyone is sleeping on him and I don't see why? His pro day is one of the very last so if he runs a good 40 he'll probably become talked about more. Whether he runs the 40 or not he's my guy this draft

Butler would also be a good fit for our run game. One of the most physical downfield blockers. I don’t think he’s going as high as some people think. Could very well slip to day two.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Huge fan of his. I think he pulls a Corey Davis and goes waaay higher than everyone expects.

I completely agree with this that I want two guys on the outside who can consistently beat 1v1 coverage to prevent them from stacking the box. I'd also add JJAW to your list. I actually like him way better than Harmon. Seems like everyone is sleeping on him and I don't see why? His pro day is one of the very last so if he runs a good 40 he'll probably become talked about more. Whether he runs the 40 or not he's my guy this draft
I’m high on JJAW too, but for some reason I feel like 22 is too high, and I have no explanation for it. If we took him at 22 though I would be excited just because I know he’s got big upside and is underrated as a route runner, his route game complements his jumpball ability really well

I’m high on JJAW too, but for some reason I feel like 22 is too high, and I have no explanation for it. If we took him at 22 though I would be excited just because I know he’s got big upside and is underrated as a route runner, his route game complements his jumpball ability really well

This imaginary nonsense we named and percieve as value is why imo. If he's the pick and he has a decent career nobody complains. If he bust everyone complains lol The draft is a crapshoot anyway....
I'd get behind it as well if they took him at 22, There's alot to like about him as a prospect imo and fits a big need. I'd be ecstatic if we could land him in the 3rd, since I've seen him available in many mocks that late.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This imaginary nonsense we named and percieve as value is why imo. If he's the pick and he has a decent career nobody complains. If he bust everyone complains lol The draft is a crapshoot anyway....
I'd get behind it as well if they took him at 22, There's alot to like about him as a prospect imo and fits a big need. I'd be ecstatic if we could land him in the 3rd, since I've seen him available in many mocks that late.
I think it’s just because I’m like 99% sure that other guys who I’d prefer will be there, including at the same position. I’m not usually one to be all in on consensus value when I personally value a guy higher, for instance I have a few guys way higher than most, chase winovich, jerry Tillery, Chris Lindstrom, kelvin harmon, Hakeem butler, all guys I have as unquestioned top 20 prospects, and I don’t mean realistic options at 22, I mean my big board is gonna have those guys somewhere between 1-20 and a lot of people would call me a stupid asshole for valuing these guys so highly lol.

I think it’s just because I’m like 99% sure that other guys who I’d prefer will be there, including at the same position. I’m not usually one to be all in on consensus value when I personally value a guy higher, for instance I have a few guys way higher than most, chase winovich, jerry Tillery, Chris Lindstrom, kelvin harmon, Hakeem butler, all guys I have as unquestioned top 20 prospects, and I don’t mean realistic options at 22, I mean my big board is gonna have those guys somewhere between 1-20 and a lot of people would call me a stupid asshole for valuing these guys so highly lol.

Winovich top 20 prospect? What do you see that you makes your opinion different than others? Not saying I disagree,
I agree on the rest. Outside of maybe Harmon, idk if I'd have him top 20. To each their own

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Winovich top 20 prospect? What do you see that you makes your opinion different than others? Not saying I disagree,
I agree on the rest. Outside of maybe Harmon, idk if I'd have him top 20. To each their own
Top 20 may be a stretch but definitely top 30. Winovich has really underrated burst off the line and is a LEGIT pass rusher from the 3 and 4 point stance, he’s got the white pass rusher syndrome where everyone thinks he’s a “blue collar” defender who “plays the game the right way”(same as white receivers) when in actuality he’s an explosive edge rusher with quality hand work and great flexible bend, he isn’t an edge setter, he isn’t an OLB, he’s just an explosive edge bender who can create a lot of disruption and penetration, and he does overpursue and needs discipline in the run game, but as an explosive edge rusher who can flatten the edge and consistently bend, his game is there for real.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Ravens compared Dk to T.O and demaryius thomas.. i can see the T.O comparisons as far as size thats about it. As for demaryius? Im guessing drops lol