• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ravens compared Dk to T.O and demaryius thomas.. i can see the T.O comparisons as far as size thats about it. As for demaryius? Im guessing drops lol
Wasn’t TO way more well rounded than dk? Like I see the size and YAC and athleticism comparisons, but TO was a pretty legendary level of technician, at least for his size

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Wasn’t TO way more well rounded than dk? Like I see the size and YAC and athleticism comparisons, but TO was a pretty legendary level of technician, at least for his size
Yea idk how ravens compared Dk T.O. ...T.O is my all time fav wr and without being bais, dk not even close in any way. T.O was known for kinda being a work out warrior so thats what im guessing Ravens see in DK

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
parris campbell could become a really good route runner, he could stand to make sharper cuts and do the other little things like changing gears, head and shoulder fakes, selling other routes, etc. but i really love how he consistently dictates coverage so early in the snap, and he does it against all coverage type, he dictates zone drops and gains early leverage on off man by working inside or outside just a little bit, one little step from the defender and campbell is full send in the opposite direction, he does it to multiple defenders at once sometimes, they really fear his speed so when they, for example, have outside leverage and his first 3 steps show he might be running a lazy post they begin to overcommit inside and campbell just breaks away

0:05 he does exactly this, you see him working inside off the snap, but VERY subtly and slightly, and the defenders definitely bite on it, and he spots the one step in and breaks outside. this was just a quick example and im quick firing through prospects tonight and really dont feel like going back through the video to timestamp shit lol. ive just noticed that he does this kinda thing often

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
parris campbell could become a really good route runner, he could stand to make sharper cuts and do the other little things like changing gears, head and shoulder fakes, selling other routes, etc. but i really love how he consistently dictates coverage so early in the snap, and he does it against all coverage type, he dictates zone drops and gains early leverage on off man by working inside or outside just a little bit, one little step from the defender and campbell is full send in the opposite direction, he does it to multiple defenders at once sometimes, they really fear his speed so when they, for example, have outside leverage and his first 3 steps show he might be running a lazy post they begin to overcommit inside and campbell just breaks away

0:05 he does exactly this, you see him working inside off the snap, but VERY subtly and slightly, and the defenders definitely bite on it, and he spots the one step in and breaks outside. this was just a quick example and im quick firing through prospects tonight and really dont feel like going back through the video to timestamp shit lol. ive just noticed that he does this kinda thing often

I do like Campbell, but I am concerned that he only has two receptions where the ball traveled more than 20 yards.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I do like Campbell, but I am concerned that he only has two receptions where the ball traveled more than 20 yards.
Oh don’t misunderstand that post lol, I have a shitload of concerns on Campbell and his complete lack of impressive catches is the biggest one, in this very game he had a snap where he easily won over the top and was targeted, albeit not with the best pass, but he was completely lost trying to find the ball to the point that he stumbled and nearly fell. Also I worry that he’s so explosive yet does so little to run sharp and crisp routes, like he doesn’t even attempt to make quality cuts.

With work he could become the next Percy harvin(sans character concerns), but he could just as easily become the next cordarelle Patterson.

I was feeling the same way but started doubting they'd want to draft and depend on another prospect with a high drop rate. Especially considering they've voiced their concerns about how they've previously scouted wideout prospects. I feel they go for a more sure handed prospect when they do turn in their draft card. However, Butler is an intriguing prospect with unlimited upside and they may still take the chance.
I agree they are likely to shy away from anyone with drop issues. Harbaugh said “ We want rough guys, we want tough guys, we need guys with good hands.". Underline the good hands part. All the physical traits don’t do you any good if you can’t catch the ball.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I actually think that's fine, assuming we plan on targeting WRs next year too.

We need WRs who can beat press coverage and are threats after catch with this offense. I'm not saying he's the answer but defenses are going to be pressing us at all times anyways. Him and DK, and Deebo would THRIVE here because Deebo and Campbell are good short-intermediate route runners, and DK is too big to press all the time.

To me those are the top three. I like hollywood but I do have my concerns.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I kinda view Samuel as a really athletic version of Snead. They'll play similar roles, especially of beating zone and beating man through route running, but Samuel will be able to do a lot more with the ball in his hands, and he has the potential to get behind people deep. I think he's exactly the type of guy Jackson could develop great chemistry with.

Still don't like this WR class.

Neither do I. It's not impressive... at all

There's no top end, take over games, sure fire talent but imo there is an impressive amount of solid #2 guys that have potential to be more. Which is really what we need at this point. A solid group of guys around Lamar that he can grow and develop chemistry with.
If next year's wr class is what its talked up to be, that's when we finish our wr room with another selection or two.

I do not see how Ravens fans can want to draft Campbell. He's the exact type of wr we do not need atm imo. More athlete than wideout. His upside due to his speed/agility is nice but that's it. I personally wouldn't consider him until maybe the 3rd tbh

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I kinda view Samuel as a really athletic version of Snead. They'll play similar roles, especially of beating zone and beating man through route running, but Samuel will be able to do a lot more with the ball in his hands, and he has the potential to get behind people deep. I think he's exactly the type of guy Jackson could develop great chemistry with.
dam you hit that comparison on the head..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Spot on, he’s a deadly YAC weapon, best zone beater I’ve seen in years, a great route runner, built like a RB, reliable hands, above average on contested catches but nothing special there, and one of the better athletes at wr in this class with his great acceleration, change of direction, foot quickness and solid top speed.

He’s a perfect fit for us, except for one major major issue... those injuries. This isn’t like Stefon diggs having 2 freak injuries, he’s had injuries that you can definitely see popping up later on.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
There's no top end, take over games, sure fire talent but imo there is an impressive amount of solid #2 guys that have potential to be more. Which is really what we need at this point.
That's not a good draft class. That's most draft classes. It's just typical. The oline and edge are the best parts of this draft and it's not close. For the sake of having a corps, drafting a guy or possibly two is necessary but we are unhealthily obsessing over some of these names.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's not a good draft class. That's most draft classes. It's just typical. The oline and edge are the best parts of this draft and it's not close. For the sake of having a corps, drafting a guy or possibly two is necessary but we are unhealthily obsessing over some of these names.
There are some guys that belong in the late first early second though, Samuel, harmon, JJAW, butler, and even Harry and Campbell all have traits that put them into the second round at worst in a lot of draft classes, not just a weak one.

However, if the “consensus” top wr is between dk metcalf and marquise brown, then yeah, it’s a really weak class on the top end.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There are some guys that belong in the late first early second though, Samuel, harmon, JJAW, butler, and even Harry and Campbell all have traits that put them into the second round at worst in a lot of draft classes, not just a weak one.

However, if the “consensus” top wr is between dk metcalf and marquise brown, then yeah, it’s a really weak class on the top end.
week on the top end but a lot of depth receivers with #2 ability. It's not a bad WR class at all. It's quite diverse to be frank, but that's my opinion. I like a number of wide receivers and for different reasons I'd be ok with them in Baltimore. I only see a couple options that could be true #1s in this class and that's ok. I'm a fan of DK and Butler and both of them if used properly could be very good wideouts in this league. Then you have a bunch of #2s, 3's and 4's.

Day two is going to be very strong for wide receivers and due to how strong other positions are it is going to push a lot of talent into day two and even early day three.