• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
If CJ's contract is at all prohibitive so far as us being able to sign Michael Pierce a year from now, and if being able to afford the trio of Pierce Humphrey and Stanley down the road means letting CJ walk or balking at the price he's asking to be paid, I'm all for saying goodbye to CJ.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If CJ's contract is at all prohibitive so far as us being able to sign Michael Pierce a year from now, and if being able to afford the trio of Pierce Humphrey and Stanley down the road means letting CJ walk or balking at the price he's asking to be paid, I'm all for saying goodbye to CJ.

im just not sure how it would be tbh - the flacco dead money will be gone and we are projected to have lots of cap space too - unless CJ is asking for 15m a year then i dont think it would significantly affect our ability to re-sign other players - and if CJ is asking for 15m then he wont be returning to baltimore because we've already rejected that price tag for him when we declined to use the franchise tag

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
There will be options to make space elsewhere - two old CBs, BW...
Mosley is too good and too valuable to let go.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There will be options to make space elsewhere - two old CBs, BW...
Mosley is too good and too valuable to let go.
Brandon Williams won't be cut prior to June 1 (this season) and I could see him being kept around for the 2019 season and using his salary on Pierce, who is a must signing.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think I posted a few weeks ago that all 4 would cost about 60M total (though I think I had Yanda in place of Humphrey as he isn't up for 2 years).

Either way if you assume a mega deal for Humph I think you can still afford all 5 and even some smaller Judon and Tucker deals, but it will make Ravens less active in FA.

I can't imagine a lot of cap hit for the 4 big deals not being put on next years large cap then using rest to sign Humphrey year after.

Then comes time for a QB decision which I legitimately wonder which way one goes on those deals.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
We will decline Williams’ option next year and can release Jimmy too with little consequence. Yanda will also likely retire sadly.

There’s no excuse unless if CJ asks for like $20 mil a season. Pay the man.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
We will decline Williams’ option next year and can release Jimmy too with little consequence. Yanda will also likely retire sadly.

There’s no excuse unless if CJ asks for like $20 mil a season. Pay the man.

Have you heard something about Yanda? I kinda figured as he is still playing at a really high level he had another 3 years in the tank.. Either way the team has so much cap room that I just dont get it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think losing cj would likely break this defense for at least a year, but I agree. Keeping Mosley could be the difference in us being fringe contenders right now, but I don’t think we seriously have a shot at a title til at least 2020, if Mosley is 15m per then letting him walk will hurt badly short term but long term will help much more

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think losing cj would likely break this defense for at least a year, but I agree. Keeping Mosley could be the difference in us being fringe contenders right now, but I don’t think we seriously have a shot at a title til at least 2020, if Mosley is 15m per then letting him walk will hurt badly short term but long term will help much more
my thoughts exactly

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know we all sort of feel the sky would fall if CJ walks but I'm not sure it would. Who is to say that the combo of Onwuasor/Young wouldn't hold up ? Onwuasor was really coming into his own as a player by leaps and bounds. And Kenny Young when filling in for CJ week three looked like a pro bowl player....no joke. He was exceptional ( though he did seem to hit a wall later in the season).

Both of these LB's are on the ascent as football players. Young is smart and great in coverage....Peanut plays down hill with abandon and physicality.

CJ has how many years before he starts to slow? two ...? three?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know we all sort of feel the sky would fall if CJ walks but I'm not sure it would. Who is to say that the combo of Onwuasor/Young wouldn't hold up ? Onwuasor was really coming into his own as a player by leaps and bounds. And Kenny Young when filling in for CJ week three looked like a pro bowl player....no joke. He was exceptional ( though he did seem to hit a wall later in the season).

Both of these LB's are on the ascent as football players. Young is smart and great in coverage....Peanut plays down hill with abandon and physicality.

those are all good points but i think the reason it would have a major major impact is because of the way we play defence - so much of wink's scheme relies on the ability to disguise pre-snap and to adjust on the fly on the field in the last few seconds on the play clock - that takes cerebral guys at either LB or S or both who can make those kinds of calls

peanut played great down the stretch but he was sometimes unleashed by weddle or mosley directing him to the ball pre-snap or he was allowed to just go and find the football because of the disguise weddle and mosley would add to our rush packages

im not saying the sky would fall but we dont have anyone with the football nuance and intelligence in the right spot to make those calls right now and even if we go and get someone they wont be familiar with our scheme straight away (unless you go out and get an earl thomas etc. we're unlikely to find someone who can adapt and interpret our scheme with the speed weddle did - and on top of that wink's defence was designed with the players we had on the roster and with their input)

so we have some young promising LBs but im not sure we've got anyone at safety or linebacker who can step in and do those types of things for our defence

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

CJ will be 27 yrs old when the season begins. He has more than two or three years before he begins to slow.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
those are all good points but i think the reason it would have a major major impact is because of the way we play defence - so much of wink's scheme relies on the ability to disguise pre-snap and to adjust on the fly on the field in the last few seconds on the play clock - that takes cerebral guys at either LB or S or both who can make those kinds of calls

peanut played great down the stretch but he was sometimes unleashed by weddle or mosley directing him to the ball pre-snap or he was allowed to just go and find the football because of the disguise weddle and mosley would add to our rush packages

im not saying the sky would fall but we dont have anyone with the football nuance and intelligence in the right spot to make those calls right now and even if we go and get someone they wont be familiar with our scheme straight away (unless you go out and get an earl thomas etc. we're unlikely to find someone who can adapt and interpret our scheme with the speed weddle did - and on top of that wink's defence was designed with the players we had on the roster and with their input)

so we have some young promising LBs but im not sure we've got anyone at safety or linebacker who can step in and do those types of things for our defence
Fair points all. Ultimately I'm sure the defense will play fine without him. Not initially perhaps....and there will be a curve but the dollar amount being bandied about is ridiculous to me.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
CJ will be 27 yrs old when the season begins. He has more than two or three years before he begins to slow.
It really boils down to this: I'd say we've gotten the best five years of his career out of him. He may play at a high level for two or three years and then he won't in my estimation. I don't want to pay over the top for an ILB for five or so years when he might give me three. If they break the bank on him he will be held to a very very high standard.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It really boils down to this: I'd say we've gotten the best five years of his career out of him. He may play at a high level for two or three years and then he won't in my estimation. I don't want to pay over the top for an ILB for five or so years when he might give me three. If they break the bank on him he will be held to a very very high standard.
Just get contract front loaded, problem solved.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only thing I hold against CJ is his weight. I'm pretty sure cutting some weight would help him a lot in pass coverage. A genetic freak might get away with it, but this helps especially in today's NFL.