• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
look. CJ is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. Not that he isnt good..he is but his resume flatters him a lot. Daryl smith in his prime was a better player than CJ and didn't make 1 pro bowl or all pro.

CJ isn't that great. ILB isn't the hardest position to find new stars if you really put resources and emphasis into it. CJ doesn't stand out to me. His best year was his rookie year. he's got worse every single year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know we all sort of feel the sky would fall if CJ walks but I'm not sure it would. Who is to say that the combo of Onwuasor/Young wouldn't hold up ? Onwuasor was really coming into his own as a player by leaps and bounds. And Kenny Young when filling in for CJ week three looked like a pro bowl player....no joke. He was exceptional ( though he did seem to hit a wall later in the season).

Both of these LB's are on the ascent as football players. Young is smart and great in coverage....Peanut plays down hill with abandon and physicality.

CJ has how many years before he starts to slow? two ...? three?
I say he’s already slowed, and I don’t want him under contract for no 4-6 years, I’d like him here another 2-3.

I think very highly of Kenny young and I think the ravens do too, but I am not sold on peanut yet. Young is clearly a high iq linebacker and is very fast and great in coverage, but can we trust him and peanut so soon? This team won’t win without a good defense, and we don’t have a special pass rush or anything flashy, I don’t know how well we can hold up with just those guys.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which S or SS are we looking to nab in Free Agency?

Do I want Collins? Yes

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
look. CJ is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. Not that he isnt good..he is but his resume flatters him a lot. Daryl smith in his prime was a better player than CJ and didn't make 1 pro bowl or all pro.

CJ isn't that great. ILB isn't the hardest position to find new stars if you really put resources and emphasis into it. CJ doesn't stand out to me. His best year was his rookie year. he's got worse every single year.

I disagree with you based on how bad we looked without him.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Part of why we looked bad was that it's hard to adjust a gameplan when someone is injured mid-game/mid-season. It's much easier to craft a gameplan around our ILBs if we know Mosely won't be there.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jags cut Carlos Hyde. I wouldn’t mind taking a stab at him. He’s cut, so he wouldn’t count towards the comp picks. That’s a bonus

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
LB Patrick Onwuasor received a second-round tender by the Ravens. Onwuasor, who enjoyed a breakout year in 2018, is a restricted free agent.

8:00 AM - 9 Mar 2019

^^per Jamison Hensley

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Do I want Collins? Yes

If we didn’t have jefferson. Hell yes!
But a combo of Collins and Jeffersons just doesn’t mix

Random note: love your avatar. Best anime of 2018!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's not worth arguing with him. You know it, I know it, and the rest of the board knows it. I mean we had 4 wins last year just like he said we would have.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think he's as rangy/fast as he was a couple of years ago, but I think I'd lean towards Gipson at FS over Mathieu or some of the other options. More cost effective and won't factor into comp picks. However, he would be more of a short-term solution. It might also be more that I'm not 100% sold on a guy like Mathieu being effective enough for what he's likely going to cost.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We will decline Williams’ option next year and can release Jimmy too with little consequence. Yanda will also likely retire sadly.

There’s no excuse unless if CJ asks for like $20 mil a season. Pay the man.
open check book or up to 20m would be a very bad idea, very bad

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know I said a couple pages back that I do not think highly of a SS but I love me a good FS. If the Ravens want to move big on one of the big names in order to cancel out losing Mosley... well then that might work out better. If they go for one of the top 2 FAs at Safety and land him, then the defense might still be the class of the NFL next year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Do I want Collins? Yes
Collins, check (went to bama)
HaHa, check (went to bama)
Mathieu, LSU...remove from list and ... said we had serious interest.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Honestly I'd be pretty surprised if the team goes after a big name safety in free agency. Weddle fit the system well and wasn't a huge cap liability (compared to the incoming big safety contracts) and I'm not sure the FO would want to upgrade there so aggressively.

My impression is that this is more of a liking Chuck Clark move.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Honestly I'd be pretty surprised if the team goes after a big name safety in free agency. Weddle fit the system well and wasn't a huge cap liability (compared to the incoming big safety contracts) and I'm not sure the FO would want to upgrade there so aggressively.

My impression is that this is more of a liking Chuck Clark move.
I see Clark more of a strong safety type and whether we go after a big name fs remains to be seen, but we aren't leaving this opening to Chuck Clark, imo.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Amos is the main safety I want to try bring him. I think he'd be perfect for our defense.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t think the safety class is that good in FA. Amos looked good this year but has historically been an improving player. Joyner had a down year himself compared to others. Thomas has question marks as far as I’m concerned due to character and his injury. I don’t think Mathieu is a FS and could be Jefferson 2.0. Collins scares me because he’s gone down hill from his rookie year. Haha reportedly had some character concerns or something regarding his attitude.

I would love an upgrade but I’m not sure a sensible one is out there.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Amos is the main safety I want to try bring him. I think he'd be perfect for our defense.

I would love Amos. Go to the home team, or follow your DC to Denver. I think it’s gonna be between ravens and broncos for him

Simba

Staff Member

Take it for what its worth, but Zrebiec said on Twitter that he got the sense at the combine that the Ravens were not planning to be in on Amos.